A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Plain Archive Exclusive No.19) [Korea]

What's your favorite type?

• Type A (Illust by Jonathan Burton)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Type B (Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Type C (Lenticular)

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: 29th August 2018
Purchase link:
Type A full slip (900); Type B full slip (900); Type C lenti (900); Box Set Triple Pack (); 1/4 Slip (300) (Pre-order July 10 at 4 PM South Korea time, GMT +9) - Find your local timing HERE
Price: Type A ($38.49); Type B ($38.49); Type C ($38.49); Box Set ($110.99); 1/4 Slip ($36.69)

Da1i34yU8AAQh0m.jpg

Type A (Illust by Jonathan Burton) | Type B (Tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman) | Type C (Lenticular)
Da1jI93U8AA6Wtl.jpgtype_b_AMWM.jpgDa1jSxYUQAIpC8b.jpg

image.jpeg

Old Type B artwork
Da1jJf1VQAAGns8.jpg

Detail of the steelbook artwork
AMWM_Steelbook_Details.jpg

Based on John le Carré's book, <The American> director Anton Corbijn released <A Most Wanted Man> in 2014 starring the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. This is one of several Steelbooks we'll be releasing in 2016. Release date: Q1 2016. More details coming soon. Anthony Petrie is a renowned illustrator and we're glad to be working with him on the Steelbook artwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pass on this one. I'll wait if PA will release a slipbox keep case edition.
Another first for me, passing on Plain Archive exclusive.

I can't concur with this, at all; watched AMWM on Netflix last month and it looked (and sounded) perfect.
Maybe a lousy internet connection?
I think it depends on couple of things. I don't think Netflix quality will look good on a 70" screen. They cater to the majority, and the majority have a 40 - 50 inch screen. And not everyone has a proper surround sound system. Plus not everyone cares deeply about A/V quality. So what may look and sound good to you, may not look and sound good to another.

I think it depends on couple of things. I don't think Netflix quality will look good on a 70" screen. They cater to the majority, and the majority have a 40 - 50 inch screen. And not everyone has a proper surround sound system. Plus not everyone cares deeply about A/V quality. So what may look and sound good to you, may not look and sound good to another.
Quality's arbitrary, agreed, but let me put it this way; I watched it on a 55" screen and honestly - and I'm pretty decent at discerning these things - could not tell the difference between a Blu-ray and Netflix's stream regarding AMWM. Mind you, there's very little action in it so there's very little chance to expose the available bitrate to flaws and/or pixelate the stream.

I saw her last night, correct film; I would have liked more in Steelbook The Imitation Game. Where is Oldboy? I just hope it will not take 15 years

I saw her last night, correct film; I would have liked more in Steelbook The Imitation Game. Where is Oldboy? I just hope it will not take 15 years

Agreed. Given that PA now releases so few films in steelbook form, this type of film was a terrible choice for that treatment, while Imitation Game is screaming for it. Personally, I think PA are making more and more poor decisions lately--the poorest of which is to use Jonathan Burton's art on so many releases. I believe every steelbook they currently have in the works is going to feature his art. They should go back to using the artist who did the covers for Zero Dark Thirty (full slip) and The Master (steelbook, booklet). I think they're supposed to be using his work for Oldboy, but that's probably only because much (all?) of the art for that was done loooong ago, when he was their main (only?) artist. I will be permanently done with PA if they decide to dump that art and hand Oldboy over to Burton.

Last edited:
Quality's arbitrary, agreed, but let me put it this way; I watched it on a 55" screen and honestly - and I'm pretty decent at discerning these things - could not tell the difference between a Blu-ray and Netflix's stream regarding AMWM. Mind you, there's very little action in it so there's very little chance to expose the available bitrate to flaws and/or pixelate the stream.
Exactly. Movies like this, (ie - with little action) isn't the best to use as an example to compare for such a topic. A movie like Avatar or any DC/Marvel movie is better suited. So I believe when you say you couldn't tell the difference, because I probably wouldn't be able to either. I wouldn't even mind 720p if its a movie like AMWM. Is Netflix mostly 720 or 1080p?

Completely agree. In my option, Imitation Game is a better movie than AMWM. Oh well, we can't always get what we want. :p

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the imitation game was a mediocre movie and it wasn't even an accurate portrayal of alan turing

I'm going to swim against the tide here and state that I welcome the fact that this film is getting the PA special edition treatment.

I'd rather watch an intelligent, slow burning and well acted drama that makes you think about what is happening on screen, any day, over some vacuous, effects laden extravaganza that hands everything to the viewer on a plate.

The Steelbook market is large enough to cater for all tastes and I hope that PA will continue to concentrate on films of a more cerebral nature than offered elsewhere.

Please god no 1/4 slip
Why not, I've collected 1/4 slips for all the Plain Steelbooks so far. I would like to add this one to the collection. I'm not a fan of multiple releases for the same Steelbook but as its PA who doesn't release too many Steelbooks I think they should give us a few different variants to pick from.

I will take everything that is going for this film. One of my top 5 faves of the last few years and as said previously it is a masterclass in film making for me.

So glad its getting the treatment.

Reactions: harry
Yeah I'm excited for this one too... Watched it recently and found PSH's performance pretty amazing, its worth watching just for that. Not the biggest fan of the steelbook artwork, though I do like the slips.