Apr 19, 2016
Release date: January 16, 2018
Purchase links: 4K - 2D
Price: $34.99 (4K) - $29.99 (2D)
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21 2D ONLY

BR2049 4K.PNG BR2049 2D.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
The latter.
I like to view a Steelbook as a unique canvas that illustrates an original look at the film. I personally feel that if a Steelbook simply re-uses promotional art (or worse- the standard BluRay art) then there’s no point in the Steelbook existing- because it fails to take advantage of the sole reason the medium has for existing.

I’m sorry, but I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I personally prefer that they stick to any of the existing promotional art/posters designs because I utterly detest the alternatives which is usually the pop/mondo art. Now, it is probably important to acknowledge that the artist behind these pop/mondo arts are talented in their own right. However, as a movie enthusiast, the poster designs in the theatres are generally more appealing than these “unique canvas” designs you seems to adore. As much as I hope the FAC exclusive was not cancelled, I am glad that this title is not getting a cartoon look treatment.

Standard-vs-PopArt.jpg

I’m sorry, but I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I personally prefer that they stick to any of the existing promotional art/posters designs because I utterly detest the alternatives which is usually the pop/mondo art. Now, it is probably important to acknowledge that the artist behind these pop/mondo arts are talented in their own right. However, as a movie enthusiast, the poster designs in the theatres are generally more appealing than these “unique canvas” designs you seems to adore. As much as I hope the FAC exclusive was not cancelled, I am glad that this title is not getting a cartoon look treatment.

THIS /\ /\

I agree. The amaray almost always looks better than the steelbook.
And that's the way it should be since more amaray copies are sold than steelbooks.

I completely disagree. The steelbooks most times are always a great alternative to the regular art.

People will never agree on this topic which is why there will always be differences for better or worse between amaray and steelbooks. :)

I know, I basically just said that in order to live we need to breathe oxygen.
You don't know what you've got til it's gone.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

And so on.

That's fair. And that's your taste in art.
I just think that if you have two mediums for the genre- you should do two different things with them.
Not to mention, many of the examples that you provided already have steelbooks with said designs:

The BluRay of Baby Driver has the same artwork on the UK Steelbook release.
The Filmarena Collection Edition of Logan is by far the superior example to the International Steelbook.

That being said- I can use the same mode of examples the other way around.
Look at the Amaray release for Daredevil Series 1 as opposed to the Zavvi Steelbook with artwork by Joe Quesada.
The Amaray releases of The Walking Dead as opposed to Entertainment Stores Steelbooks designed by Jock.
The Standard releases of Doctor Who Series 9 and 10 or Sherlock series 4 as opposed to the Steelbook rendered by Alice X. Zhang.
The Amaray of The Mist as opposed to Zavvi's Popart Steelbook.

The overabundance of promotional artwork portrays a very sterile look at film marketing that creates and propagates trends within the industry.
Propagating the same use of promotional material creates a homogeny within the industry that creates prevailing trends that make a lot of movie posters look the same, whereas having artists create their own interpretation of the inherent value they see in the film.

That's not to say that the steelbook is always superior to the amaray, heavens no- of course not. But it is circumstantial.

MY MAIN ARGUMENT is that the Amaray release and the Steelbook release shouldn't use the same artwork. It SHOULD be different- it should utilize the idea that the steelbook is a canvas meant for artists to express their creativity based on what has inspired them from the film in question. The most egregious and upsetting Steelbook releases (in my opinion) aren't the ones with horrible artwork (the Amazon.de Predator Steelbook comes to mind), but rather the Steelbooks like the Bluefans Force Awakens or the NovaMedia John Wick- where the artwork is the same as the amaray.

I hope this clears things up. :p

love the 4K artworks but can you make that movie titles a little bit bigger? lol
Can make it smaller if you prefer . . . ;)
comment_85012_attachment_images_1.jpg

To be serious . . . not in the WONDER WOMAN league but 4 steelbooks so far confirmed for this:-
1)
upload_2017-12-28_1-52-19.png

2)
upload_2017-12-28_1-57-40.png
upload_2017-12-28_1-59-26.png
upload_2017-12-28_1-53-35.png
upload_2017-12-28_1-55-15.png

upload_2017-12-28_1-56-34.png
Actualización: Sony Pictures nos ha comunicado nueva información sobre la edición coleccionista. El blaster es una réplica oficial del de Rick Deckard, numerado en la base. Sus medidas aproximadas son 29cm de base y 18cm de altura. Tiene un led que se ilumina y el blaster no se puede separar de la base.
3)
upload_2017-12-28_1-58-19.png
upload_2017-12-28_2-1-31.png
upload_2017-12-28_1-59-26.png

As with the Blaster edition you can't actually take the whiskey glasses out of the box (lol)
4)
upload_2017-12-28_2-6-38.png
upload_2017-12-28_2-9-40.png

Yes totally detest those with mondo / poop art / graphic novel steelbook design

I am collecting most steelbooks even multiple dips so i guess my wallet say thank you when the trend is moving towards the artsy

I skipped all the above steelbooks example so great money saved

That's fair. And that's your taste in art.
I just think that if you have two mediums for the genre- you should do two different things with them.
Not to mention, many of the examples that you provided already have steelbooks with said designs:

The BluRay of Baby Driver has the same artwork on the UK Steelbook release.
The Filmarena Collection Edition of Logan is by far the superior example to the International Steelbook.

That being said- I can use the same mode of examples the other way around.
Look at the Amaray release for Daredevil Series 1 as opposed to the Zavvi Steelbook with artwork by Joe Quesada.
The Amaray releases of The Walking Dead as opposed to Entertainment Stores Steelbooks designed by Jock.
The Standard releases of Doctor Who Series 9 and 10 or Sherlock series 4 as opposed to the Steelbook rendered by Alice X. Zhang.
The Amaray of The Mist as opposed to Zavvi's Popart Steelbook.

The overabundance of promotional artwork portrays a very sterile look at film marketing that creates and propagates trends within the industry.
Propagating the same use of promotional material creates a homogeny within the industry that creates prevailing trends that make a lot of movie posters look the same, whereas having artists create their own interpretation of the inherent value they see in the film.

That's not to say that the steelbook is always superior to the amaray, heavens no- of course not. But it is circumstantial.

MY MAIN ARGUMENT is that the Amaray release and the Steelbook release shouldn't use the same artwork. It SHOULD be different- it should utilize the idea that the steelbook is a canvas meant for artists to express their creativity based on what has inspired them from the film in question. The most egregious and upsetting Steelbook releases (in my opinion) aren't the ones with horrible artwork (the Amazon.de Predator Steelbook comes to mind), but rather the Steelbooks like the Bluefans Force Awakens or the NovaMedia John Wick- where the artwork is the same as the amaray.

I hope this clears things up. :p
Who cares what artwork is on the amaray.

Stopped even looking at amaray releases years ago.

• Thanks
Reactions: Leafs17

I agree. The amaray almost always looks better than the steelbook.
And that's the way it should be since more amaray copies are sold than steelbooks.

No reason why we cannot have both / several styles of steelbook art and I welcome all styles . . . from floating heads poster designs to Illustrated Art from some of the best in the business . . . speaking about some of the best illustrators in the business - just glance over at any collection of Arrow Amarays and steelbooks and you'll find a treasure trove of incredible, powerful, colourful and imaginative artwork by brilliant illustrators . . . even if the films may not be to everyone's taste. . .
Truly loads of wonderful releases of all styles out there and all it takes is an open mind to appreciate them . . . although there are some that will be universally disliked (eg FROM HELL) with few if any redeeming qualities . . . but examples of these are few and far between (at least IMO).

Artwork better on Amarays than on steelbooks?. . . there's loads of examples out there to the contrary . . . at this point I won't pick up the ball and run with it by listing examples (not the time nor the place) . . .

The other side of the coin is where the same-ish artwork is used on both steelbook and Amaray. . . only executed in a different style (or even in the same style as in DONNIE DARKO etc.) . . . with one recent example being LEATHERFACE - German steelbook (stickerbook?) compared to the Amaray editions.
Both look good but I prefer the steelbook as I find it more interesting and atmospheric:-
LEATHERFACE
191728_large.jpg
191324_large.jpg
51398_large.jpg
190884_large.jpg
193281_large.jpg
193282_large.jpg
193280_large.jpg

DONNIE DARKO:-
s-l1600.jpg
166393_large.jpg
upload_2017-12-28_14-13-12.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that there is actually a 3D amaray release for this in Canada.
But no mention of 3D in a steelbook though in Canada or the US.