UK
Release date: May 23, 2016
Purchase link: Bronson (live)
Price: £14.99

11243879-1444363307459379.jpg

11243879-1404363307927628.jpg

11243879-3684363307746830.jpg

Last edited:
My copies already on its way mate, so there's no backing out now lol. I think it looks okay from your photos though... plus it's one of my favourite films, so it should be worth it for me. :)

That's fair dos,

The steel is nice but I'm just dissapointed because it seems a little darker and no spot gloss :(

Oh well

At least I'll get the other 3 on huge drops

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Thanks for the pics @MCMXCII! Just goes to show you should never trust the listings, until you see it in hand you never know what the finish will be. It looks decent but the colours do look too dull. I will probably pick this up after a price drop.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and XCII
Folks, note received from Zavvi-"
Eone confirmed these as gloss finishes hence why we put their content on site. Very frustrating if not the case.
They do have a glossy effect which brings out the colours but looks like it’s not ‘spot gloss’."

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Sigill and Flloydo
Just my opinion, but I had this down as a darkhorse in the end of year award's had it had a high quality spot closs on Charlie and a debossed title with a deep sharp red used to really make it pop, 7 outta 10, could of been a perfect 10 though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Folks, note received from Zavvi-"
Eone confirmed these as gloss finishes hence why we put their content on site. Very frustrating if not the case.
They do have a glossy effect which brings out the colours but looks like it’s not ‘spot gloss’."

They clearly have no clue lol

They aren't gloss at all, a smooth varnish instead and it really don't bring out the colours (you can see that in the mist thread too) infact they look more dull

Also find it weird Eone would tell us one thing and then zavvi another

There is different types of partial varnish finishes that can be used on a matte steelbook to give a glossy effect look some are more vibrant than others depends on the type of varnish used to achieve this

Zavvi website description don't mention anything about spot gloss
It has dark matt surface and a red gloss finish to highlight the features along the right side of Charles Bronson’s face

But when we see in a description red gloss finish with most steelbooks we expect that to mean spot gloss
They should have used wording of a varnish finish with gloss effect look instead of gloss finish

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
There is different types of partial varnish finishes that can be used on a matte steelbook to give a glossy effect look some are more vibrant than others depends on the type of varnish used to achieve this

Zavvi website description don't mention anything about spot gloss
It has dark matt surface and a red gloss finish to highlight the features along the right side of Charles Bronson’s face

But when we see in a description red gloss finish with most steelbooks we expect that to mean spot gloss
They should have used wording of a varnish finish with gloss effect look instead of gloss finish

Believe me when you get this in hand (or any of them) gloss is the last thing you will be thinking lol

Yep completely agree there are different types and yep they should of stated varnish finish

Reactions: paulboland
First impression: Classy and elegant strong artwork with simple understated spine which I particularly like without the studio and Blu-ray logos :thumbs:
Second impression: The red doesn't "pop" in the flesh like I thought it would or even like it does on the card slip and it's a bit disappointing for that reason alone . . . but this is still a cracking steelbook
bronson-52dda9b9b8408.jpg
149464_large.jpg

Good, powerful image given a Tyler Stout style makeover with perfect results and so much better than any other image used as home video artwork out there.

Shame about the blood trickles as this can look really good on steelbooks if glossy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
Mine arrived this morning... I love it! Thankfully the zero finish makes it quite smooth and classy looking, and the metallic shine on the blood is awesome. It's cool (and also quite unusual lol) to see such a clean spine too... no logos whatsoever - is that a first?

This gets top marks from me, even though I still would've preferred spot-gloss. Great effort from @eonedirect... now they just need to convince the studio to OK that Lost in Translation steelbook artwork so they can make dreams come true and rake in the moolah. :greedy: :thumbs:

Mine arrived this morning... I love it! Thankfully the zero finish makes it quite smooth and classy looking, and the metallic shine on the blood is awesome. It's cool (and also quite unusual lol) to see such a clean spine too... no logos whatsoever - is that a first?

This gets top marks from me, even though I still would've preferred spot-gloss. Great effort from @eonedirect... now they just need to convince the studio to OK that Lost in Translation steelbook artwork so they can make dreams come true and rake in the moolah. :greedy: :thumbs:

I agree with you on the zero finsh makes it smooth and to OK the lost in translation art but the rest...... Say whaaaat?

Kidding, each to their own

• Thanks
The Canadian Kill Bill steels had no logos on the spines.

I hate spines without logos almost as much as I hate front covers without titles. Both of those things instantly make a product look bootleg/unofficial/homemade/cheap to me. I usually assume people who like that kind of thing must not have been exposed to the proliferation of rank-amateur-designed bootleg videotapes, CDs, and DVDs in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited: