Daredevil - Season 1 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Release date: October 3, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £29.99
Note: The title treatment and Daredevil silhouette will be embossed. Spot gloss will be used on sections of the front of the Steelbook and the Marvel logo on the back. The Steelbook is white.

Collector's Box thread here

11312347-7174401904116618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, steelbooks are meant to be "special" and consequently what on earth is the point of regurgitating poster artwork on to their covers more than likely already regurgitated on to the Amarays . . .Personally speaking totally in favour of "proper" artwork for steelbooks created by renowned artists - something which make them just that bit more interesting and collectible (to me anyway) and if I'm paying up to 30 quid for a metal box I'd rather it had different artwork on it than that seen on the plastic cased edition.

Furthermore, as we know by now and can see as plainly as the noses on our faces the front artwork has already been chosen !!!!
Not wishing to state the obvious but absolutely NO earthly POINT in using a different image for the front when one has already been chosen.
The point now is to see what we are getting for the back and for the insides - hopefully the powers-that-be choose something to match the front - even if just the colouring - and I guess we'll know soon enough. . .

Regarding the spine: with Disney/Marvel you can't bet your bottom dollar that there will be a title there even though there is one on the mock-up and I personally have no objection to a picture spine as long as it isn't just one tiny thumbnail in the style of THE LONE RANGER.
Better is better. I know the art is already final. But @JCC 's version would have been better.
I would have put the cartoon on the amaray and put the double DD's made from the cityscape on the Steelbook.

Better is better. I know the art is already final. But @JCC 's version would have been better.
I would have put the cartoon on the amaray and put the double DD's made from the cityscape on the Steelbook.
Vice versa for me.
images

Don't see how anyone can take exception to comic book art for this steelbook when "Daredevil" started life in that format (as we all know full well).

Vice versa for me.
images

Don't see how anyone can take exception to comic book art for this steelbook when "Daredevil" started life in that format (as we all know full well).
But it is a TV SHOW. Not a COMIC. If it was a like the Watchmen "Motion Comic" DVD, then sure.
But, agree to disagree. (Moot anyway;)).

Reactions: nkb32
Vice versa for me.
images

A lot of things start in that "format" but it don't mean every comic book film superhero or not has to have comic book art!

Reminded of those COMIC BOOK STYLE Reel Heroes steelbooks - steelbooks that in the main have absolutely nothing to do with comics - which I nevertheless bought as Amarays (those that were available in the U.K.) - but would never have bought as steelbooks:-
V. nice . . . with a touch of comic book style:-

Not so v. nice (imo):-
97398_large.jpg
97390_large.jpg
97391_large.jpg
97400_large.jpg
97395_large.jpg
97401_large.jpg
97396_large.jpg

70062_large.jpg
70069_large.jpg
70067_large.jpg
70050_large.jpg
70057_large.jpg
70058_large.jpg
70059_large.jpg
70065_large.jpg
70064_large.jpg
70063_large.jpg
70060_large.jpg
70061_large.jpg
70071_large.jpg
70070_large.jpg
70068_large.jpg
70057_large.jpg
upload_2016-7-4_3-49-49.jpeg

In the case of DD a big thumbs up for the chosen front cover art in the same way as for others (just my personal opinion of course):-
upload_2016-7-4_4-1-51.jpeg
101018_large.jpg
149443_large.jpg
136656_large.jpg
et al

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminded of those COMIC BOOK STYLE Reel Heroes steelbooks - steelbooks that in the main have absolutely nothing to do with comics - which I nevertheless bought as Amarays (those that were available in the U.K.) - but would never have bought as steelbooks:-
V. nice . . . with a touch of comic book style:-

Not so v. nice (imo):-
97398_large.jpg
97390_large.jpg
97391_large.jpg
97400_large.jpg
97395_large.jpg
97401_large.jpg
97396_large.jpg

70062_large.jpg
70069_large.jpg
70067_large.jpg
70050_large.jpg
70057_large.jpg
70058_large.jpg
70059_large.jpg
70065_large.jpg
70064_large.jpg
70063_large.jpg
70060_large.jpg
70061_large.jpg
70071_large.jpg
70070_large.jpg
70068_large.jpg
70057_large.jpg
View attachment 249718

In the case of DD a big thumbs up for the chosen front cover art in the same way as for others (just my personal opinion of course):-
View attachment 249719
101018_large.jpg
149443_large.jpg
136656_large.jpg
et al
yH4tJs9.gif

@ all those designs. Give me some art with an actual human on it for my steelbooks

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and ChrisIW
Each on to their own. Artwork is always subjective, some people will like, some people will not. When there is a majority that dislike and they voice this I believe the community has some sway especially with the Asian retails e.g. Mad Max steelbook which we got changed from this forum.

With Zavvi I don't think it would be possible to change the artwork, why? Well if they can't even read and comprehend a customer service message how could they understand what the community wants, for example it took me 2 weeks of messages for them to understand that I wanted to return a damaged steelbook for a new one? I doubt very much that anyone at Zavvi pays much attention to collectors simply because from a business perspective it is a waste of time and consequently money, as they know full well that regardless they will sell these steelbooks. If they had a dedicated person who frequents the communities looking for business oppotunities then it would save them money and give them more profit, but I don't think they think out of the box for business growth, and they wont until they start loosing money and for that to happen people (the community) needs to be heard.

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
I think there were a few Zavvi steelbooks we got the artwork to change. Back art for Wreck it Ralph was one if recall correctly. Its rare, but not impossible. But I dont expect a change on this one and I honestly dont think this art is too bad all things considered. Just I feel all posters and art promoted for this series was great and would look great on steel. If its gloss w/ bossing it will be nice. Different strokes for different folks though, but I feel i need to put my 2 cents in to do what I can to sway the trend away from hand drawn/pop art steelbooks lol.

Reactions: C.C. 95
@virkia loving your mock up design and enthusiasm for what is for me an excellent series.
One thing that might help is when posting if you have quite a few photos to share I tend to use the spoiler tag that way it doesn't take up a lot of space on the thread, just a friendly suggestion :thumbs:

Reactions: virkia
With Zavvi I don't think it would be possible to change the artwork, why? Well if they can't even read and comprehend a customer service message how could they understand what the community wants, for example it took me 2 weeks of messages for them to understand that I wanted to return a damaged steelbook for a new one? I doubt very much that anyone at Zavvi pays much attention to collectors simply because from a business perspective it is a waste of time and consequently money, as they know full well that regardless they will sell these steelbooks. If they had a dedicated person who frequents the communities looking for business oppotunities then it would save them money and give them more profit, but I don't think they think out of the box for business growth, and they wont until they start loosing money and for that to happen people (the community) needs to be heard.

I honestly don't think they have the slightest interest in our opinion. I myself have tried on several occasions to get in touch with whoever is in charge of decision making to try and advise them or at least get them to visit this forum once in a while to get a feel for the very community they are trying to do business with. I couldn't even get a name, let alone get them to get of their arse and research their customer base. Frustrated isn't the word...

I think the problem this time is that they made it sound like this release would be something a bit special - so to announce another pop art steel / Z-box combo is a massive anti-climax.

• Thanks
Reactions: Maximus15
but I think it's bland and quite simply nowhere near as good as JCC's or even the original posters.

This one is THE original poster. Shown before any footage or photos etc.

& most of you don't realise that the netflix shows are pretty much his baby, that's what he spends most his working days focusing on...He's legimetly the main reason the show is soo good and faithful to daredevil. the first vigilante costume used in the series was designed by Joe quesada, he gave them sketches of the kind of "costume" he'd envisage him wearing in his early days and they copied it exactly...so his artwork is more than fitting.

surprised no one's said anything, it's not the only promo or poster or advertisement done by him for the show. in the build up to the show, they released an image on virtually a daily basis. here's another one.

679859eee72e966d2ae6758b8339f7d0.jpg

As for JCC's "design" It's not that i don't like, but it is the perfect example of what is wrong with current steelbook design trends. It genuinely makes me laugh when i read comments on these kinds of steelbooks that stray from the norm, you virtually always get some people call the attempt at something a little different "lazy". funnily enough it's the type of "design" JCC's "created" that are lazy. it breaks what i think should be the number one rule of steelbook design "i will not take images from the first page of a google image search"
Screen_Shot_2016_07_04_at_11_37_32.jpg

Steelbooks should be special & unique. I used to be on here ALL THE TIME but in the last two years I've bought less than 10 steelbooks. They've become generic over priced rehashes of things we've seen a million times...or incredibly poorly thought out designs. (civil war as a new example) yes everyone has different opinions, but i think alot would agree on that. It's something this site has unwillingly created.

So I'm happy when they try something a little different, admittedly it doesn't always pay off & you'll never satisfy everyone. but as long as the back art is well chosen I'll be satisfied & I'll actually buy this...eventually (still think the price is stupid for a show i can access for 6 or so £s)

Last edited: