Purchase link: HMV
Price: £29.99 - £19.99 - £14.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey HERE

01-66760.jpg

03-66760.jpg
02-66760.jpg

01-66760.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's the FILM characters as this is the FILM not the comic. Makes sense.

My point was IF she looked like that in the film and then they did the Steelbook with a better looking Domino design I could probably get away with it more.

EDIT

Robsonmonkey has acknowledged that.

They're saying that if the movie Domino looked like the comicbook Domino, then that's how she'd look on the steelbook which would be an improvement.

Personally I don't think it would make any difference.

Beat me to it...thanks man

Case in point what you are describing with those steels is artists who are masters at their craft.
Ryan Meinerding -Character Designer, Concept Artist, and Marvel Studios Head of Visual Development (Spiderman Home coming art)
The Walking Dead steels, JOCK ... known for his Batman art, and working for major movies in key art etc.

vs.

Likely the marketing team at said studio whom either designed stuff in house to save a buck or outsourced on the cheap as opposed to paying for the better artists time. Better artists, masters of their craft etc. have work, thus if you want to do business with them you join the queue and have to wait. Most marketing doesn't want to wait, and doing the easy bland art also solves a secondary issue that appeases the legal department and that is avoiding the need for actor approvals etc. They own the right to pump out Scarface, but using Pacino in some new pose unapproved is a hairy situation and for liability concerns most often avoid.

With the art of the steel in this thread, its from the movie, so it makes sense, and while its obviously visually more entertaining in video form, its not as crazy as some would think for it to be used imo, but sure not the strongest suit, but its still clever. Art is subjective and so its being witty or clever and so you're going to have some that dont like this art. Also would have a larger portion of those who havent seen the film likely be against this art.

People hated the GOTG 1 walkman steel when it first was announced and it found its fan base quite easily after release and there after in the aftermarket. This art I think may come down more to the finish on all the steels that use this art in regards to regions as it could pop if done right.

Indeed, it's probably not all that easy or cost effective for studios to have masters of their craft design steelbooks every time as much as I would prefer that. I didn't like the Scarface steelbook and didn't buy it, but 1000 units seemed to sell out quite quickly so if it works for the studio and for others, fair play to them.

While I personally don't like this art being used for DP2, I do appreciate that at least it's relevant to the movie. Some as you say may well come around if the finish is good but despite loving the humour in Deadpool, I just can't bring myself to have this steelbook in my collection. Then again I don't think the current amaray art would look good on a steelbook either but will end up going for the amaray when it drops in price.

I actually liked what they tried to do with the GOTG 1 walkman steel as it was such an iconic part of the movie but shame they couldn't execute it just right (maybe due to legal reasons). I thought they made a real effort to make the Ant Man SSD look nice but I don't recall it being that iconic in the movie (so long since I've last watched it tbh) so I didn't really appreciate that either.

Despite all the artwork controversy, if we don’t get the extended cut of the movie, THAT would be deal breaker for me.
4K I don’t care about but we need at least a HD extended super duper blah blah...longer... cut of the movie. Be nice to see theatrical and longer cut on both HD and UHD formats
All UK Blu-ray and 4K UHD releases include both Theatrical and Super Duper Cut

HMV steelbook product description also has listed includes Super Duper Cut

Extended Cut is Super Duper Cut it's an extra 15 min

Perfect :)

Reactions: paulboland
Despite all the artwork controversy, if we don’t get the extended cut of the movie, THAT would be deal breaker for me.
4K I don’t care about but we need at least a HD extended super duper blah blah...longer... cut of the movie. Be nice to see theatrical and longer cut on both HD and UHD formats
All UK Blu-ray and 4K UHD releases include both Theatrical and Super Duper Cut

HMV steelbook product description also has listed includes Super Duper Cut

Extended Cut is Super Duper Cut it's an extra 15 min
Does the GotG 'Walkman' design have that many fans?

I was against the design, not only because I felt it was dull, but moreso because it isn't even accurate to the actual Sony Walkman featured in the movie. It would be like releasing a Knight Rider set in the shape of a generic black sports car rather than the Trans-Am used in the show. In fact, it's like one of the Elm Street sets that only contains the first 7 films, yet uses Jackie Earle Hailey's Freddy on the front along with remake's title font.
Does the GotG 'Walkman' design have that many fans?

I was against the design, not only because I felt it was dull, but moreso because it isn't even accurate to the actual Sony Walkman featured in the movie. It would be like releasing a Knight Rider set in the shape of a generic black sports car rather than the Trans-Am used in the show. In fact, it's like one of the Elm Street sets that only contains the first 7 films, yet uses Jackie Earle Hailey's Freddy on the front along with remake's title font.

I liked it. It wasn’t accurate, it coulda been a LOT better but at least it used a little imagination in its initial concept.

But each to their own :emb:

I loved it. Something differant and fit the movie perfect.

The issue with the Guardians walkman is that it wasn't even the walkman from the film...like I get it, opinions and the like but how can you like something which is trying to be something from the film but being completely wrong

It's like having that World Wide Art Infinity War steelbook but the Infinity stones in the gauntlet are different shapes and colours never seen in the films

Reactions: digitalbabe
The issue with the Guardians walkman is that it wasn't even the walkman from the film...like I get it, opinions and the like but how can you like something which is trying to be something from the film but being completely wrong

It's like having that World Wide Art Infinity War steelbook but the Infinity stones in the gauntlet are different shapes and colours never seen in the films

Fair point.

Reactions: robbodoc

As I said above, that's my biggest issue with it.

Sure, Starlord uses a Walkman, a SONY (capital letters for emphasis) Walkman, a quite distinctive Sony Walkman. Along comes the steelbook which clearly can't use the Sony Walkman design for whatever reason, so the designers just seem to go 'ah to hell with it. Any generic personal tape player will do'. Well, sorry Disney, but that won't do. If you can't do the design you want, then back to the drawing board you go.

At least with poster art, any copyright issues, actor images and so on have been sorted.

That’s true, it wasn’t the same Walkman, but it’s still a really good and creative steelbook IMO.

@Punker76 you don’t want to be opening that can of worms again. Lol

• Thanks
Reactions: Punker76
Point is if you can’t use the design because it’s Sony then why bother doing the design at all

If I was told that we’d have to change Walkman design I’d tell them to just use poster artwork instead

If you can’t do it right why do it at all

Why is it HMV Exclusive if BestBuy has the identical steel?
The exclusivity refers to the country it's being released in... so this particular steelbook is exclusive to HMV in the UK and exclusive to Best Buy in the US (same goes for other exclusive steels - unless stated that it's a worldwide exclusive).

Reactions: thebigL
Point is if you can’t use the design because it’s Sony then why bother doing the design at all

If I was told that we’d have to change Walkman design I’d tell them to just use poster artwork instead

If you can’t do it right why do it at all
Official stuff from studios dont stray far from style guides, creative briefs etc. once past home media release window. So I'm glad we got that because their are films that will obviously hit every single piece of art from those private asset guides in years to come. Case in point , we have seen damn near every single piece of pre-approved GOTG art on steels and slips etc. You haven't seen the walkman since. During release window you can get something different and im glad we did. More variety. Would have been nice to look more authentic but they were about to pay sony licensing for every case sold on their movie as theatrical budgets vs. home media are completely far off.

Deadpool 2 will be no different. In 3 years from now feel free for anyone to come back and quote this post with all the different steels to come. The poster art will all get used.

I understand the sentiment tho when wanting alternate to choose from at "release" when that is all that is seemingly getting released, but we are far from the global release dates for all dp2 stuff and they wont all likely be just this. ie. fac already announced.

Reactions: yeslek and Punker76
I like the walkman design. I'm glad I bought it when it came out. As @Wreck stated, it is part of the variety. If you don't have variety in your steelbook collection then I don't see the point in collecting them. If you are happy with just one edition of something then pick one or pick another.
The fact is, variety makes steelbook collecting fun and if you don't like a certain design then you have the choice to ignore it. I'm glad all of these Marvel steels are coming from here, there and everywhere because it offers a choice plus more variety, plus the option to buy them all or just pick your favourite version. If nothing but, for example, Blufans poster artwork existed then we wouldn't know any different anyway so the fact that others exist... HMV, FAC, Mantalab etc for this or any other edition then bring it on I say. Where you might get 'mediocre' artwork on one there will always be another to counteract it and that is where you make your choice. None of us are going to stop what comes whether we like it or not.

Official stuff from studios dont stray far from style guides, creative briefs etc. once past home media release window. So I'm glad we got that because their are films that will obviously hit every single piece of art from those private asset guides in years to come. Case in point , we have seen damn near every single piece of pre-approved GOTG art on steels and slips etc. You haven't seen the walkman since. During release window you can get something different and im glad we did. More variety. Would have been nice to look more authentic but they were about to pay sony licensing for every case sold on their movie as theatrical budgets vs. home media are completely far off.

Deadpool 2 will be no different. In 3 years from now feel free for anyone to come back and quote this post with all the different steels to come. The poster art will all get used.

I understand the sentiment tho when wanting alternate to choose from at "release" when that is all that is seemingly getting released, but we are far from the global release dates for all dp2 stuff and they wont all likely be just this. ie. fac already announced.

“You haven't seen the walkman since”

Maybe because it’s a s*** design and not the actual Walkman...

It’s a colourful, cosmic film and the poster artwork is great, of course they’ll stick to it. Not a cheap knock off walkman which defeats the point of having it if it’s not the same. Sorry but I don't get it, if they used the proper walkman and kept it true to the film then hey, it would be great but it's not.

@Dazzler_31117

There’s a difference between artwork variety and good artwork which represents the film properly.

Oh and please don’t do the “if you don’t like what I like then you shouldn’t collect steelbooks" counter argument...I mean really? Really stuck up sounding...we all have a different mindset when it comes to variety. Like I said if it was a good representation of the walkman in the film then I'd get it, that would be good variety but it's not. Just because we have variety dosen't automatically mean it's good, I mean I think these days people are fed up of steelbooks trying to be arty and differen't, look at the Film Arena one with the IMAX poster, it looks fantastic and fits the film better.

Last edited:
“You haven't seen the walkman since”

Maybe because it’s a s*** design and not the actual Walkman...

It’s a colourful, cosmic film and the poster artwork is great, of course they’ll stick to it. Not a cheap knock off walkman which defeats the point of having it if it’s not the same. Sorry but I don't get it, if they used the proper walkman and kept it true to the film then hey, it would be great but it's not.

I’m not saying it was perfect , never did. It had its issues but aside from us hardcore collectors I actually see it revered quite often on social media from casual collectors.

And I thought you may say that line of why we don’t see it since but that wasn’t my point.

Having worked w and helped w style guides , creative briefs etc everything gets used and reused often esp for popular films. It’s in my opinion based on past experiences and conversations that the Walkman one is not in the briefs and guides that people are offered nowadays for gotg. So I just think it’s cool that sometimes we get unique stuff at release windows that may not get rehashed much in future from licensees. Course doesn’t mean the studio themselves won’t rehash.

Ps. I bitched about it not looking authentic at the jump too. It has grown on me tho. I like the Taiwan one best for sealed collectors as has epic die cut like card

@Dazzler_31117

There’s a difference between artwork variety and good artwork which represents the film properly.

Oh and please don’t do the “if you don’t like what I like then you shouldn’t collect steelbooks" counter argument...I mean really? Really stuck up sounding...we all have a different mindset when it comes to variety. Like I said if it was a good representation of the walkman in the film then I'd get it, that would be good variety but it's not. Just because we have variety dosen't automatically mean it's good, I mean I think these days people are fed up of steelbooks trying to be arty and differen't, look at the Film Arena one with the IMAX poster, it looks fantastic and fits the film better.

Its all subjective so no, there isn't a difference between artwork variety and good artwork. Whether it is good or bad in YOUR mind, it is still variety. What is bad to you might be good to somebody else and regardless of whether you like the look of it or not, if you you have 5 different types of artwork then that is variety my dear.

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Its all subjective so no, there isn't a difference between artwork variety and good artwork. Whether it is good or bad in YOUR mind, it is still variety. What is bad to you might be good to somebody else and regardless of whether you like the look of it or not, if you you have 5 different types of artwork then that is variety my dear.

"Whether it is good or bad in YOUR mind"

Yet you go around and tell people that "If you don't have variety in your steelbook collection then I don't see the point in collecting them" when you've just said to me "in YOUR mind"

So basically telling someone it's what they personally think, everything is subjective basically and opinions are opinions yet try and make out that since I don't like something YOU deem as good then I shouldn't collecting steelbooks. Riiiiight.

See how in my replies I don't tell you what to collect or your place in the steelbook community just because you like something I don't.

I'm done.