Purchase link: HMV
Price: £29.99 - £19.99 - £14.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey HERE

01-66760.jpg

03-66760.jpg
02-66760.jpg

01-66760.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I find it strange that so many people seem horrified by the prospect of poster/promotional art on steelbooks, after all that is the imagery that has cost huge amounts of time and money to produce to get it right. But the average steelbook collector goes "Boo hoo sob sob they've already used that art on the amaray, I want something different, even if it looks shite...".

I assume you're referring to steelbooks specifically as most amaray art does use the promotional art. The problem here is that the steelbook market is a drop in the ocean financially speaking, so why would they get their best people on it with any sort of budget to create something excellent when they can just get some talentless prick to knock out a bit of minimalist pop art in half an hour?
True, they do get the standard editions right. its like kitsch artwork is reserved for steelbooks

Reactions: andy01652
If the WWA artwork was decent then there would be less reason to spend twice or three times as much on the premium version and I could instead use that cash to buy an even bigger TV or a OPPO player.
Or you could just have some will power and buy your bigger TV instead.

I have absolutely no respect for anyone that buys this!
that has to be the shittiest way of voicing an opinion I've ever seen/heard.
May want to rethink your wording as that might offend those who will buy this regardless for their varying reasons.

Plus, there will never be one size to fit all, ever.
No one artwork or song or movie or tv show will be loved by all.

Yes, let's only have photoshopped poster art on all our steelbooks and steelbook re-releases and forget about using the steelbook canvas for something sometimes really neat and inspired.
How very dare these artists deface our film packaging with their doodling … no welcome mat for Olly Moss, Graham Humphreys, Rick Melton, Twins of Evil, Paul Shipper, Bob Peak, Drew Struzan, Gilles Vranckx, Gary Pullin, Godmachine, Tom Whalen, Dan Mumford, Tom Hodge, Nathanael Marsh, Jay Shaw, Nick Percival, Jeff Zornow etc.

Just imagine the History of Art stopped dead in its tracks at Realism in for example the (exquisite) chocolate-box paintings by Constable and there had been no Turner to inspire the birth of Modern Art from Impressionism to all the "isms" that followed (my favourites being Expressionism and Surrealism).

To be fair, we wouldn't 'just' get photoshopped posters on steelbooks, we'd get whatever poster, or one of the posters that was used for any given movie.

Take Jaws for example. The steelbook uses the poster art (in a slightly different colour than I recall), and that's not a photoshop job. It's a work of art. The same goes for the Indiana Jones franchise, Silent Running, Nosferatu, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse and many more.

I agree that yes, most if not all Marvel movies are photoshop images, but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to those movies. That said, there are many steelbooks that don't use poster art but still get it right. 2001, Psycho (UK first release), Fox's Star Wars releases and so on. It just seems that many Marvel movies, especially the actual MCU ones seem subpar.

To be fair, we wouldn't 'just' get photoshopped posters on steelbooks, we'd get whatever poster, or one of the posters that was used for any given movie.

Take Jaws for example. The steelbook uses the poster art (in a slightly different colour than I recall), and that's not a photoshop job. It's a work of art. The same goes for the Indiana Jones franchise, Silent Running, Nosferatu, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse and many more.

I agree that yes, most if not all Marvel movies are photoshop images, but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to those movies. That said, there are many steelbooks that don't use poster art but still get it right. 2001, Psycho (UK first release), Fox's Star Wars releases and so on. It just seems that many Marvel movies, especially the actual MCU ones seem subpar.

Those are some great examples.

I think there are some recent good non-poster artwork by actual artists out there as well. I thought the Spiderman Homecoming HMV was quite nice and the Walking Dead Series looks great. Certain ones I just can't appreciate, like last years Scarface release, or this years Die Hard Collection but maybe that's just me.

I might be a bit controversial in saying this but technically photoshop is an art form of sorts. Ok it may not be beautifully hand drawn but it still takes a lot of work, creativity, and imagination to get some of the amazing poster art that appeals to so many of us. When we walk into a cinema, there is almost like a gallery of artwork that is trying to grab our attention.

If it evokes a positive response or feeling out of us that makes us want to see the movie or buy the steelbook, then it's technically doing it's job as an art form. Then again, I'm no expert on art so I could just be talking out of my a***.

• Thanks
Reactions: StifflersDad

I think there are some recent good non-poster artwork by actual artists out there as well. I thought the Spiderman Homecoming HMV was quite nice and the Walking Dead Series looks great. Certain ones I just can't appreciate, like last years Scarface release, or this years Die Hard Collection but maybe that's just me.

I might be a bit controversial in saying this but technically photoshop is an art form of sorts. Ok it may not be beautifully hand drawn but it still takes a lot of work, creativity, and imagination to get some of the amazing poster art that appeals to so many of us. When we walk into a cinema, there is almost like a gallery of artwork that is trying to grab our attention.

If it evokes a positive response or feeling out of us that makes us want to see the movie or buy the steelbook, then it's technically doing it's job as an art form. Then again, I'm no expert on art so I could just be talking out of my a***.
Good post dude:thumbs:

Reactions: IamIroningMan
will this contain the extended version?
I expect it will going by post on Empireonline

Deadpool 2: The Super Duper Cut now has a confirmed UK release – it's coming out digitally on 7 September, and on Blu-ray on 17 September

This is the UK Blu-ray and 4K UHD release details for the UK

In the Blu-ray and 4K UHD disc sets, you'll get both a theatrical cut of Deadpool 2, and a 'Super Duper Cut' which has 15 minutes of extra footage in it.

Here are the rest of the bonus features lined up for the release:

Gag Reel

Deadpool’s Fun Sack 2

Stills (28 Images)

Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds, David Leitch, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Theatrical Version Only)

Deleted/Extended Scenes

Until Your Face Hurts: Alt Takes

Deadpool’s Lips are Sealed: Secrets and Easter Eggs

The Most Important X-Force Member

Deadpool Family Values: Cast of Characters

David Leitch Not Lynch: Directing DP2

Roll with the Punches: Action and Stunts

The Deadpool Prison Experiment

Chess with Omega Red

Swole and Sexy

3-Minute Monologue

Reactions: IamIroningMan
will this contain the extended version?
yeah, HMV tweeted a pic a couple of weeks back saying they would be releasing the Super Duper Extended Cut or whatever the heck it's called :LOL:
Despite all the artwork controversy, if we don’t get the extended cut of the movie, THAT would be deal breaker for me.
4K I don’t care about but we need at least a HD extended super duper blah blah...longer... cut of the movie. Be nice to see theatrical and longer cut on both HD and UHD formats

Reactions: RyanD and karl01
Despite all the artwork controversy, if we don’t get the extended cut of the movie, THAT would be deal breaker for me.
4K I don’t care about but we need at least a HD extended super duper blah blah...longer... cut of the movie. Be nice to see theatrical and longer cut on both HD and UHD formats
All UK Blu-ray and 4K UHD releases include both Theatrical and Super Duper Cut

HMV steelbook product description also has listed includes Super Duper Cut

Extended Cut is Super Duper Cut it's an extra 15 min

Watched it last night thought it was awesome better than the first film cant wait to re watch the extended cut not a fan of marvel movies but this was just pure class

To be fair, I'm not dissing photoshopped images per se . . . I'm just responding to the people that only want those images on steelbooks and are not open to something more creative. as well.

What used to happen here in the UK?
Countless examples of poster art on our first steelbook releases with something creative and fresh used for the second . . . suits me fine as I've been in the game since day one and as I will already have the poster art steelbook I'm quite happy to have the fresh artwork on my second steelbook.

I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at the skilful placement of photoshopped images best executed by Blufans and in an ideal world I would choose their just about perfect THE LAST JEDI steelbook over any other steelbook released anywhere else as my first TLJ steelbook with something fresh and new a few years later for my second.

Case in point what you are describing with those steels is artists who are masters at their craft.
Ryan Meinerding -Character Designer, Concept Artist, and Marvel Studios Head of Visual Development (Spiderman Home coming art)
The Walking Dead steels, JOCK ... known for his Batman art, and working for major movies in key art etc.

vs.

Likely the marketing team at said studio whom either designed stuff in house to save a buck or outsourced on the cheap as opposed to paying for the better artists time. Better artists, masters of their craft etc. have work, thus if you want to do business with them you join the queue and have to wait. Most marketing doesn't want to wait, and doing the easy bland art also solves a secondary issue that appeases the legal department and that is avoiding the need for actor approvals etc. They own the right to pump out Scarface, but using Pacino in some new pose unapproved is a hairy situation and for liability concerns most often avoid.

With the art of the steel in this thread, its from the movie, so it makes sense, and while its obviously visually more entertaining in video form, its not as crazy as some would think for it to be used imo, but sure not the strongest suit, but its still clever. Art is subjective and so its being witty or clever and so you're going to have some that dont like this art. Also would have a larger portion of those who havent seen the film likely be against this art.

People hated the GOTG 1 walkman steel when it first was announced and it found its fan base quite easily after release and there after in the aftermarket. This art I think may come down more to the finish on all the steels that use this art in regards to regions as it could pop if done right.

Does the GotG 'Walkman' design have that many fans?

I was against the design, not only because I felt it was dull, but moreso because it isn't even accurate to the actual Sony Walkman featured in the movie. It would be like releasing a Knight Rider set in the shape of a generic black sports car rather than the Trans-Am used in the show. In fact, it's like one of the Elm Street sets that only contains the first 7 films, yet uses Jackie Earle Hailey's Freddy on the front along with remake's title font.

I think if Domino looked like her comic counterpart in the film and they designed her that way on the steel I would get it more but all I see is Deadpool and Cable with a chubby fat kid on the back

Reactions: PKAVFC
Does the GotG 'Walkman' design have that many fans?

I was against the design, not only because I felt it was dull, but moreso because it isn't even accurate to the actual Sony Walkman featured in the movie. It would be like releasing a Knight Rider set in the shape of a generic black sports car rather than the Trans-Am used in the show. In fact, it's like one of the Elm Street sets that only contains the first 7 films, yet uses Jackie Earle Hailey's Freddy on the front along with remake's title font.

I liked it. It wasn’t accurate, it coulda been a LOT better but at least it used a little imagination in its initial concept.

But each to their own :emb:

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
I think if Domino looked like her comic counterpart in the film and they designed her that way on the steel I would get it more but all I see is Deadpool and Cable with a chubby fat kid on the back
Well it's the FILM characters as this is the FILM not the comic. Makes sense.