Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: March 6, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99
Notes: This steelbook has the title on the spine.

11355402-2804450968512937.jpg

11355402-2124450968749505.jpg
11355402-4354450969197693.jpg
11355402-6484450968333585.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know which eye I prefer on the front of the steelbook and it's not the original from 1965:-
upload_2017-2-6_12-47-44.png

If I wore medallions I would wear this:-
Doctor_Strange_Original_Necklace__02276_std.jpg

Eye of Agamotto or Eye of Truth or All-Knowing All-Seeing Eye of Infinity is clearly inspired by the All-Seeing Eye in the classic fantastical 1940 adventure film THE THIEF OF BAGDAD where Sabu is tasked to steal the Eye from a temple high up in The Himalayas.
The other inspiration (LOL) is clearly the GODZILLA U.K. steelbook release:-
shopping

Looking forward to receiving this more than any other . . . thinking it'll be a stunner with its plentiful embossing and metallic reflections or spot gloss around the eye.
As for the spine . . .
gNbJ_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Last edited:
Source on the finish?
Yes, what do they know?
Source Steelbookpro:-
"Petite mise à jour pour préciser la finition du steelbook de Doctor Strange en Europe : il sera zero-finish et embossé recto – verso (cadre + oeil pour le recto, juste le cadre pour le verso)."

. . . and Zero finish is hardly Matte . . . and it's not difficult to see the difference between the two by comparing them.
Just place a confirmed Matte steelbook (any from the Eureka / Arrow stable) next to a confirmed Zero steelbook and you'll spot the difference without much difficulty.

Not going to get into this nonsense of Matte vs. Satin vs. Zero vs. Gloss as it's all a matter of personal taste although people with taste will appreciate all finishes.

Personally speaking I have just as many favourite Matte steelbooks as I do Gloss .steelbooks.

Anyway, this has been covered already . . . but just to remind anyone not familiar with the excellent article with comparison pics from the French site here it be:-
II
V
To clarify the differences in finish, I direct your attention to the 2 videos at the foot of this article

- VIDEO 1: Comparison of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD European edition (zero-finish) against the U.S. edition (matte-finish).

- VIDEO 2: Showing three steelbooks revealing the respective differences in the finish between matte, zero and a gloss-finish.

You will already have zero-finish steelbooks in your collection and because the difference is not always glaringly obvious you may not realise that a particular steelbook is not matte as you thought but zero instead.

This illustrated article is designed to explain the difference.

So, just what exactly is a "zero-finish"?
Best described as something in between matte and gloss . . . a supplementary coat if you like on top of the matte base.
This supplementary coat serves to better accentuate the contrasts in the artwork as well as giving depth and bringing out the blacks.
The finish has some of the qualities of a gloss-finish but with less ambient light reflections as well as not being a fingerprint magnet to the same extent.

Comparison images of CLASH OF THE TITANS
Matte vs. zero-finish

The images speak for themselves.
On the left we have the U.S. matte-finish steelbook released at a cheap price vs. on the right the Future Shop exclusive.
The simple matte-finish, without the supplementary coat, looks rather bland next to the zero-finish edition which has more oomph

Some examples of zero-finish steelbooks follow.

UNFORGIVEN

ty.jpg

CLOUD ATLAS (France)
10494586_10205325703077035_.jpg

(while CLOUD ATLAS Germany release is a matte-finish)
Cloud-Atlas4-1024x682.jpg

In fact, Warner Brothers do tend to spoil the French steelbook collector as the majority of their steelbooks released in France are in a zero-finish.

Another example is PACIFIC RIM (France) in a zero-finish (the German edition is in a matte-finish)

A final zero-finish example is CLOVERFIELD (U.K.) not released in France
3_zoom_cloverfield_steelbook.jpg

Comparison videos

Zero-finish on the left vs. matte-finish on the right

Matte-finish . . . then zero-finish . . . then gloss finish

Last edited: