Doctor Strange (Lenticular) (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: October 16, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (pre-order 6PM BST Sunday 24th)
Price: £24.99
Notes: Embossing/debossing on front and back

11557668-1904518004558221.jpg

11557668-1614518004778355.jpg
11557668-1954518005076666.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the Zavvi MCU Lenticulars are going for silly money surpassing the premium counterparts (FACT!) irrespective of how bad or good they were.

1. Thor 1
2. Iron Man 1
3. Iron Man 2
4. CA1
5. CA2 (has picked up steam recently)
6. Gotg-1

Even the original Zavvi release of Thor and CA1 are selling for 2.5-3x the cost price. So in general Zavvi MCU are a safe bet.

Didn't realise iron man 2 was going for silly money too (I knew the rest are). I managed to pick IM2 lenti up for £12 on the bay not too long ago (and even less for iron man 3)

IM2 ended at £44 on 17/09 !!!

:LOL: Mental

Glad i picked it up for the price I did then. It's not even that decent and knowhere near worth that.
Looking back I actually got the iron man (1) zavvi lenti off the bay a smidge just below cost too. Never bothered with Thor 2, the guardians I sent back because it was shocking in hand. But Im still after cap 1 but not at the current prices lol

:LOL: Mental

Glad i picked it up for the price I did then. It's not even that decent and knowhere near worth that.
Looking back I actually got the iron man (1) zavvi lenti off the bay a smidge just below cost too. Never bothered with Thor 2, the guardians I sent back because it was shocking in hand. But Im still after cap 1 but not at the current prices lol

Yep, it is lol but this is what makes UK releases a safe bet. :)

Doctor Strange Zavvi release has now picked up steam all of a sudden. Selling at 40+. Not bad at all.

Reactions: Flloydo
yes made me laugh too :LOL:

problem a certain someone thinks the sun shines out there backside, only problem hes really got is ever thinking that a steel from zavvi would ever have a gloss finish when all the others second time round have been matte!
also one other thing hes not noticed when debossing and embossing is done they will have to put a frame in
common sense dictates that, as @Flloydo once said 'not a clue' it aint too far from the truth.

basil :thumbs:
FYI framing border is not completely necessary for embossing or de-bossing and as for "not having a clue" you and your fellow snarky comrades-at-arms keyboard warriors (lol) fit that bill nicely.

BTW this steelbook is coming from Disney - not from Zavvi :banghead:
Zavvi has no hand in the design of these steelbooks or finish - something you SHOULD know if you pay attention.
Furthermore, as Disney is notoriously inconsistent . . . and making a first on these two (reportedly) with twinbossing . . . I see no reason why they shouldn't go the whole hog and Full Gloss them.

Last edited:
Some of the Zavvi MCU Lenticulars are going for silly money surpassing the premium counterparts (FACT!) irrespective of how bad or good they were.

1. Thor 1
2. Iron Man 1
3. Iron Man 2
4. CA1
6. Gotg-1

Even the original Zavvi release of Thor and CA1 are selling for 2.5-3x the cost price. So in general Zavvi MCU are a safe bet.

That is only due to those silly UK residents (just kidding), overrating their domestic releases. First Captain America and Thor HMW releases always ended way higher than for example their German counterparts.

That is only due to those silly UK residents (just kidding), overrating their domestic releases. First Captain America and Thor HMW releases always ended way higher than for example their German counterparts.

Think the English/ UK J card plays a massive part tbh (for some odd reason - oh yeah those weirdos who keep everything sealed ;))

Which is logical. I really hate the German releases for several reasons. The most important one is that the movie is mostly called different (or translated...wtf?!?).
The UK or US version doesn't has that problem and I think therefore more wanted.

Which is logical. I really hate the German releases for several reasons. The most important one is that the movie is mostly called different (or translated...wtf?!?).
The UK or US version doesn't has that problem and I think therefore more wanted.

What are you talking about... I just loved having 'die heimsuchung' plastered on the front of my Conjuring steelbook.

I’m struggling with this release somewhat. I quite like the art and I think the front and back work well together, BUT I can’t get away from the fact that it’s basically the same image twice. The rear artwork is the official teaser poster… okay, fine. But the front is simply the same recycled artwork, the only difference being that they’ve Photoshopped in a front-facing Strange, lifted from one of the posters below (admittedly with a tweak to the shape of the cloak and the space behind one arm).

doctor_strange_posters.jpg

In my opinion – and acknowledging that others will disagree – this steelbook would have been ten times better if they’d used the transparent hand shot on the front, as suggested by @virkia and mocked up so beautifully by @Noodles:

#65 Doctor Strange (SC).png

You’ve got the window motif on both front and rear, so the images still harmonise with each other, but at the same time you’ve got two separate concepts to admire. I get what they’ve tried to do with this release, it just bothers me the more I think about the recycled artwork.

Maybe you could redeem this if it came with a full-length lenti, with artwork different to what’s on the steel itself (the transparent hand shot makes a great lenti, as we’ve seen from Blufans and Kimchi), but I don’t think anyone here is holding their breath for something like that!

In my opinion – and acknowledging that others will disagree – this steelbook would have been ten times better if they’d used the transparent hand shot on the front, as suggested by @virkia and mocked up so beautifully by @Noodles:

View attachment 335295

You’ve got the window motif on both front and rear, so the images still harmonise with each other, but at the same time you’ve got two separate concepts to admire. I get what they’ve tried to do with this release, it just bothers me the more I think about the recycled artwork.

Maybe you could redeem this if it came with a full-length lenti, with artwork different to what’s on the steel itself (the transparent hand shot makes a great lenti, as we’ve seen from Blufans and Kimchi), but I don’t think anyone here is holding their breath for something like that!

I agree with this design being better and I myself would like to see that hand design (with strange being embossed) as the actual steelbook design in gloss! It's not going to happen with this release of course but having both kimchi and blufans lentis I don't need this design again as a lenti, but would be nice for those that don't have kimchi or blufans.

FYI framing border is not completely necessary for embossing or de-bossing and as for "not having a clue" you and your fellow snarky comrades-at-arms keyboard warriors (lol) fit that bill nicely.

BTW this steelbook is coming from Disney - not from Zavvi :banghead:
Zavvi has no hand in the design of these steelbooks or finish - something you SHOULD know if you pay attention.
Furthermore, as Disney is notoriously inconsistent . . . and making a first on these two (reportedly) with twinbossing . . . I see no reason why they shouldn't go the whole hog and Full Gloss them.

yes we all know its the studios that do them, i put it plain english i got £50 here that says it won't be gloss and it will be bordered.

you prepared to put your money where you mouth is?

you game?

basil :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: neo

The Captain America and Thor steels are completely identical, but I guess you are talking about the j-cards. I also think that this is the main reason for their increased value and I also don't like the weird German translations... same applies to the French ones. However, if I want the steelbook, I wouldn't pay much more only to get the english j-card.

The Captain America and Thor steels are completely identical, but I guess you are talking about the j-cards. I also think that this is the main reason for their increased value and I also don't like the weird German translations... same applies to the French ones. However, if I want the steelbook, I wouldn't pay much more only to get the english j-card.
Just like @Flloydo said, for some (and also me) the j-card and keeping it sealed is important. When keeping it sealed I would like it to have the English j-card and title.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and Stygian

1. Thor 1
2. Iron Man 1
3. Iron Man 2
4. CA1
6. Gotg-1

Regardless of monetary "value".... zavvi WWA are still generally regarded as just plain sh*t. Guardians 2 childish looking steel anyone?? Gimme a premium import almost any day.

No. There are so many instances where CA1 (Lenti) and Thor 1 (Lenti) ended higher than the original HMV releases.
Regardless of monetary "value".... zavvi WWA are still generally regarded as just plain sh*t. Guardians 2 childish looking steel anyone?? Gimme a premium import almost any day.

I am sure you are being overfed more Premiums these days than standard ones.