Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.38
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

1.jpg

• Limited Edition SteelBook (2000 copies), featuring artwork by Candice Tripp
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Original 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster,
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly's 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

Last edited:
But lets not forget that many times you'll still get that "right" answer ... as you are a customer and or potential customer ... so you get things like "Yeah we'll definitely consider that, thanks!" ... "I'll pass that along!" "We'll check on that, great idea, thanks" etc. ;) Doesn't mean any of that is happening. As opposed to "It's coming out in 3 months" in which usually that is not how people announce anyways. However it is nice to hear when its not possible, but most rarely say that.

Just saying. But it is good to pass a long feedback cause if they get more feedback of the same title that may behoove them to pursue. Behind the scenes so many things happen with titles that never come to be that it definitely teaches those to not announce stuff till its official and or don't shown off old concepts until they are dead. lol. HDN has at least 100 concepts.

hmmm let's see if i can show off one random one here .... have a lil fun ehView attachment 336228

I never said any of that's happening though. Just asked a particular retailer if they would ever consider it, that's all. And they liked some of the films I named. I don't expect any of them to happen lol

I passed that feedback onto one retailer funnily enough that's announced a few but already had to cancel one. Just said maybe keep them quiet until they know for sure etc. Makes it less exciting when your told 6 releases and know a few of them won't be for at least 8-10 months (or longer)

Most disappointing things that happen is when people in positions that are supporters of us and "get it" then leave those Companies or switch positions etc so you have to work on explaining things all over again and often times people like their own creations not picking stuff up. If that makes sense.

So most things dont get cancelled just not approved or not to the standard that we feel the Community would want.

Had plenty of things we backed out on prior to any commitments of course that were just not complete ... ie. stuff without discs mostly.

We have alot of stuff in the works right now and a lot actually about to get announced, bust mostly just little neat things as opposed to like movie editions. But those are in the works tho.

I guess now im derailing the thread.

Glad to see Arrow on steel tho ;) Loved their older ones ... nice heavy editions with booklets and such.
Love what's happening with the Black Label line. Are there any more in the line of Seven Psychopaths and The Interview? And will we ever see a WEA HDN steelbook?

I've wanted a steelbook of this this film for a long time.. didn't think we'd over get one and just sprang for the big Collector's Edition a few months back..
looks like I should have waited, as I WILL be buying this.

So what are the chances of a uk steelbook of this then or is this only one?why no mention of a uk edition yet this is strange.
Is us edition region free.

So what are the chances of a uk steelbook of this then or is this only one?why no mention of a uk edition yet this is strange.
Is us edition region free.
Arrow Video have not yet even officially announced the USA steelbook nevermind a UK steelbook release

MVD Entertainment Group in USA listed the steelbook and Amazon USA have also listed it to purchase

Donnie Darko steelbook is not listed on Diabolik DVD website the main USA retailer Arrow Video use so I find that strange they don't have it listed

Arrow Video have not responded yet in regards to this USA steelbook release or if a UK release will happen

You would have expected Arrow Video to have posted on Facebook advertising this release and announce the release especially considering it's a steelbook of one their best selling titles to date

$40 is having a laugh though. Did the special Collectors Edition even cost that much when it was available?
Amazon listing is the msrp price
It should drop in price closer to release date pre order price promise will cover it if you pre order now
Amazon can be slow at times dropping the price can be as late as a few days before release date sometimes

I still find it strange Arrow Video not gone out of their way to announce this release on Facebook especially been a steelbook and the film involved

Folks, proper price now showing for this steelbook . . . for anyone waiting to order (although of course if ordered @$40 your price will be adjusted to the new one).
. . . . $27.38 (€23.22)

(OMG on same page Special Limited Edition release - 3,000 - of the true classic that is THE APARTMENT @$50 . . . to the UK please come!).

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
Folks, proper price now showing for this steelbook . . . for anyone waiting to order (although of course if ordered @$40 your price will be adjusted to the new one).
. . . . $27.38 (€23.22)

(OMG on same page Special Limited Edition release - 3,000 - of the true classic that is THE APARTMENT @$50 . . . to the UK please come!).
The Apartment is getting UK and US release threads already created last week in both Arrow Video Section and Limited Edition section of the Web Forum

UK
Limited Editions Thread
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...u-ray-limited-edition-arrow-academy-uk.88828/
Arrow Video thread
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...u-ray-limited-edition-arrow-academy-uk.88829/
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...u-ray-limited-edition-arrow-academy-uk.88829/
USA/Canada
Limited Editions Thread
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...mited-edition-arrow-academy-usa-canada.88833/

Arrow Video thread
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...mited-edition-arrow-academy-usa-canada.88832/

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
Arrow Video replied to me about UK release this was the reply

Hi Paul, A UK version could be a possibility but there is nothing to confirm yet sadly.

Reactions: Bungral
Most shocking thing about this steelbook release is not that it's not yet been announced in the UK but that it's listed in both places I've seen as "1xBD-50" . . . in other words, the Theatrical Cut + New Arrow Extras . . . and not the Director's Cut + different original Metrodome Extras that are on disc #2.

Both discs obviously included in the Collector's Boxset Edition (£23.99 Amazon - as was) and even in the simple Amaray edition (£8.99 HMV & Amazon . . . or in HMV's "5 for £30" promotion - as is - with or without slipcover / O-ring - slip limited to 3,000 and most likely not included now a number of months after release).

. . . and, yes, although the TC is favoured by the majority who express an opinion it is 20 mins approx. shorter - to the annoyance of the director, Richard Kelly - and is missing some of the tunes he wanted but couldn't afford at the time of the original . . . and, yes, it's got those text cards (an issue for some people in the same way that the text cards are on the DC of THE WARRIORS . . . ) and the pacing is different etc.

All that said it's always better to have both versions especially in a steelbook "premium package" (considering you can pick up both discs + booklet online for 6 quid in a plastic case !) and actually quite shocked that this steelbook release will allegedly have the same content as the 1-disc TC only release available in a promotion from the local *Sainsbury's EEK!

The missing disc #2 (?) :-
- 2 1/4 hour Director's Cut (4K re-mastered like the TC)
- Metrodome/Fox Extras from the previous 2010/2009 UK releases
Courtesy DVD Talk . . .
"Carried over from previous discs (including Fox's 2011 Blu-ray) are a ridiculous number of vintage extras, mostly herded together on the second disc. These recycled supplements lead off with three separate Audio Commentaries: two during the theatrical cut (Richard Kelly with Jake Gyllenhaal, and Richard Kelly with producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross, and James Duval) and one during the director's cut (Richard Kelly with filmmaker Kevin Smith), mostly featuring comments from when Donnie Darko was just a few years old.

Also returning are a lengthy Production Diary (53 minutes, with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster), archival EPK-style Interviews with members of the cast and crew (Richard Kelly, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle, Katharine Ross; producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala; and cinematographer Steven Poster) a collection of on-set B-Roll Footage, vintage featurettes "They Made Me Do It, Parts I and II" and "#1 Fan: A Darkomentary", a Storyboard to Screen Comparison, a whopping 20 Deleted Scenes (mostly added to the director's cut, and featuring optional commentary by Richard Kelly), the terrific "Cunning Visions" self-help spoof video, an Art Gallery, the Music Video for Gary Jules' cover of "Mad World", and a collection of Trailers & TV Spots.

*Sainsbury's Arrow promotion:-
https://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/arrow-video-arrives-at-sainsburys.html
------------------------------------------------------------------Arrow Video shelf now in 150 Sainsbury's stores
upload_2017-10-2_15-9-26.png
upload_2017-10-2_15-11-15.png

• Thanks
Reactions: burtbird