Purchase link: Don't Look Now (live)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

11089749-8724287827282694.jpg

11089749-8594287827240598.jpg

11089749-3844287827300724.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
release is drawing close and no art :l

Frankly the artwork is of very little moment by comparison with the quality of the actual Blu ray presentation.

The original restoration, despite allegedly being supervised by Nic Roeg is, overall, far from acceptable.

If it remains untouched, then this ranks alongside the likes of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and The Great Escape etc as a definite NO BUY.

typos edited

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: lolwut and levi
I don't know what transfer they are going to use, but the Criterion is excellent. I have not seen the Optimum version. One thing to keep in mind, is this was shot in 1973 with faster film stock with many lower light settings- which resolves with more grain in the image. Seeing a lot of grain is a product of the clarity of the restoration.
A DNR-ed disc (like Patton, for instance) is not something we want.

I don't know what transfer they are going to use, but the Criterion is excellent. I have not seen the Optimum version. One thing to keep in mind, is this was shot in 1973 with faster film stock with many lower light settings- which resolves with more grain in the image. Seeing a lot of grain is a product of the clarity of the restoration.

The current UK offering is supposed ot have been restored under the approval of Nic Roeg.

Not to do the gentleman a disservice, I can only assume they modified the 'approved' version after he left the building.

It's not a grain problem - real film has grain and as you say remove the grain, you remove the clarity.

The problem is that there is only what can be descried as machine noise that is occasionally very heavy . It smears and makes some panoramic shots look very washed out, soft and lacking depth and overall very un-film like.
I
4507_2_large.jpg
n the screencap here (borrowed from the other place) look at the upper right quarter of the picture - not only soft and smeary, but it looks for all the world lke a painted backdrop.
4507_3_large.jpg

Look at the second one and you can see an odd effect in the faces of both Christie and Sutherland.

There are lots of other instances where it just doesn't look right. It would seem they have probaby tried to make the film look more modern, but have removed much of the definition in places.

As regards the Criterion version, I am told they have tinkered with the colour timing.

edited for afterthoughts :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: UpsetSmiley
The current UK offering is supposed ot have been restored under the approval of Nic Roeg.

Not to do the gentleman a disservice, I can only assume they modified the 'approved' version after he left the building.

It's not a grain problem - real film has grain and as you say remove the grain, you remove the clarity.

The problem is that there is only what can be descried as machine noise that is occasionally very heavy . It smears and makes some panoramic shots look very washed out, soft and lacking depth and overall very un-film like.
I
View attachment 153466 n the screencap here (borrowed from the other place) look at the upper right quarter of the picture - not only soft and smeary, but it looks for all the world lke a painted backdrop.
View attachment 153469
Look at the second one and you can see an odd effect in the faces of both Christie and Sutherland.

There are lots of other instances where it just doesn't look right. It would seem they have probaby tried to make the film look more modern, but have removed much of the definition in places.

As regards the Criterion version, I am told they have tinkered with the colour timing.

edited for afterthoughts :)
Thanks. :thumbs: Have a look over at DVDBeaver- they have a direct comparison between Optimum and Criterion.
The Criterion seems to have more definition and a less washed out look. The differences are subtle, but I think the Criterion is more crisp.:)

Thanks. :thumbs: Have a look over at DVDBeaver- they have a direct comparison between Optimum and Criterion.
The Criterion seems to have more definition and a less washed out look. The differences are subtle, but I think the Criterion is more crisp.:)

Hi there,

Yes, I did look at their site some time ago, and they disagree with a good few other reviewers over the Optimum release, prasing it to the heavens, and probably knocking the Criterion in due process.

But, as you say, the colour in the Criterion is supposed to be more vibrant, and that seems to correspond with how I remember it looking originally; which, if correct, makes you wonder which version had the colour timing tweaked?.
Dont-Look-Now-Criterion.jpg

Now, just had a scout round, and here is a screen grab from the Criterion.

Now, to be frank, this doesn't look anywhere right either. The colour looks way out as you can clearly see.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Yes, I did look at their site some time ago, and they disagree with a good few other reviewers over the Optimum release, prasing it to the heavens, and probably knocking the Criterion in due process.

But, as you say, the colour in the Criterion is supposed to be more vibrant, and that seems to correspond with how I remember it looking originally; which, if correct, makes you wonder which version had the colour timing tweaked?.View attachment 153507

Now, just had a scout round, and here is a screen grab from the Criterion.

Now, to be frank, this doesn't look anywhere right either. The colour looks way out as you can clearly see.
Sadly, the only real way to tell is to be able to plug it into your own system! I like the comparison pictures on the other sites, but you can never be sure that they're true to the image they representing.

Sadly, the only real way to tell is to be able to plug it into your own system! I like the comparison pictures on the other sites, but you can never be sure that they're true to the image they representing.

This is very VERY true.

I have said as much myself.

It all depends on your whole setup - and also how you see it personally.

There's a lot of rot talkd about 'training your eyes' but essentially, you can just be taught to observe what is there - how you actually see it is entirely personal as no two people have identical vison or perception.

This is very VERY true.

I have said as much myself.

It all depends on your whole setup - and also how you see it personally.

There's a lot of rot talkd about 'training your eyes' but essentially, you can just be taught to observe what is there - how you actually see it is entirely personal as no two people have identical vison or perception.
There are so many ways that an image can go wrong on the way to your eyes!!
I mean, you have to assume that the reviewer knows how to calibrate a television, set up his Blu-ray player correctly, make sure his video signal going through his receiver isn't altering the picture on the way to the television, etc.
...And if he's taking pictures to put on the Internet, are his laptop and/or desktop computer monitors calibrated correctly to show what the image truly is? Did he use 'flat' settings for comparison?
There is a lot that can go wrong in that whole signal chain!! I've been an AV honk for 30 years and I still make mistakes (I actually made one last night with a PAL-NTSC transfer!).
I actually bought the Criterion DVD of CHILDREN OF PARADISE over their newer Blu-ray because I believe they totally over-tweaked the image on the blu. (Sometimes you overshoot the top of the mountain and start going down the other side!).
:D

Reactions: JackRegan
There are so many ways that an image can go wrong on the way to your eyes!!
I mean, you have to assume that the reviewer knows how to calibrate a television, set up his Blu-ray player correctly, make sure his video signal going through his receiver isn't altering the picture on the way to the television, etc.
...And if he's taking pictures to put on the Internet, are his laptop and/or desktop computer monitors calibrated correctly to show what the image truly is? Did he use 'flat' settings for comparison?
There is a lot that can go wrong in that whole signal chain!! I've been an AV honk for 30 years and I still make mistakes (I actually made one last night with a PAL-NTSC transfer!).
I actually bought the Criterion DVD of CHILDREN OF PARADISE over their newer Blu-ray because I believe they totally over-tweaked the image on the blu. (Sometimes you overshoot the top of the mountain and start going down the other side!).
:D

Can't disagree with anything there. Think you're in line for being my new best pal :)

Certainly I have said many times that there are some DVDs that are significantly superior to the blu ray equivalent - There are many others, but Butch and Sundance, and the original MGM 2 disc special editions of The Battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far and The Great Escape spring to mind as great examples of restoration done in the correct manner, and an example of how good DVD can actually be if they only make the effort.

Can't disagree with anything there. Think you're in line for being my new best pal :)

Certainly I have said many times that there are some DVDs that are significantly superior to the blu ray equivalent - There are many others, but Butch and Sundance, and the original MGM 2 disc special editions of The Battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far and The Great Escape spring to mind as great examples of restoration done in the correct manner, and an example of how good DVD can actually be if they only make the effort.
:thumbs: Hey, I'm curious- since you mention the Bridge Too Far DVD. I have heard many times that the blu transfer of that in the steelbook version is atrocious. Do you know if that is true? I came close to buying it a couple of times before I remembered that, and I didn't want to go through a repeat of the Patton DNR debacle!!:wtf:

As I mentioned on page 1 the Optimum version is terrible. It looks like a watercolor painting with no grain or detail:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_verg...54&disc1=5503&disc2=5504&lossless=1#vergleich

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_verg...55&disc1=5503&disc2=5504&lossless=1#vergleich

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_verg...56&disc1=5503&disc2=5504&lossless=1#vergleich

:thumbs: Hey, I'm curious- since you mention the Bridge Too Far DVD. I have heard many times that the blu transfer of that in the steelbook version is atrocious. Do you know if that is true? I came close to buying it a couple of times before I remembered that, and I didn't want to go through a repeat of the Patton DNR debacle!!:wtf:

Yes, I am afraid it really is as bad as the reviews say. The UK Special Edition DVD on the other hand is very good indeed, The Battle of Britain isn't as bad (but whereas blu-ray..com reckon it is about as good as it gets, I disagree entirely - I've seen it on the big screen, and it is very much better than the Blu - the UK special edition DVD is also superior.
A Bridge Too Far Blu-ray sadly is night and day to the big screen version, and the UK MGM Special Edition DVD is very much superior.

Of course what is often overlooked is that both films were shot in 70mm (actually 65mm to nitpick), and so the quality in the cinema jumps out at you - just like Lawrence. Head and shoulders above 35mm, and should with a decent restoration produce the very best quality blu rays.

Sadly it appears the two films don't rank in the forefront of war movies in the MGM vaults - I have opined bitterly that this may be because they are British films - but certainly, I was told the reason A Bridge Too Far wasn't fully restored (actually, I don't believe it has been restored at all) was because it was, quote "A minor movie of an insignificant action in World War 2" - biggest bloody insult that could be laid at the door of all involved!

Happily, I missed (quiet by chance) the original outing of Patton on Blu, and only recently bought the newly restored version in steelbook - got mine from Italy - way cheaper and identical.

edited for typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: augustus
To this day I still don't know why this film has such a huge following. I watched it years ago after hearing all the positive reviews and it did nothing for me. Actually, I hated it (and I'm a huge Horror fan!) Not to mention all the random interludes of terrible 70's music!

Still, good luck to those who want to get it. It's not my bag I'm afraid.

Reactions: lolwut and ChrisIW
To this day I still don't know why this film has such a huge following. I watched it years ago after hearing all the positive reviews and it did nothing for me. Actually, I hated it (and I'm a huge Horror fan!) Not to mention all the random interludes of terrible 70's music!

I'm in the same boat as you mate. I'm a big horror fan and even love plenty of films that aren't generally liked - but this I simply do not get what's to like. It was so bad it was like a comedy, and I kept thinking "well something good must be about to happen because this is so highly rated by everyone", but nothing did. I think we're in the minory though @BluSteel2012 ;)

Its more considered to be psycho-horror thriller
Its a strange film yes and at times can be confusing
When I first watched the film on TV as a kid a long time ago (An age I should have not been watching the film :rofl:)
It was its psycho-horror elements that grabbed my attention

It depends on what you like but for me its a good film even though when I first seen it I was confused to understand what it was about and it took a few repeat viewings in later years to understand the film and see how good it is in terms of film direction and film editing
Its a film you will like or not like its not an easy film to understand

It has influenced a lot of film directors and film editors and use of Cinematography in films
You be surprised as to what films directors Don't look now imagery and stylistic techniques have served as an inspiration to their films

Last edited:
Reactions: hayemaker