Votes: 129 44.8%
  • Type B

Votes: 159 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: December 23, 2015
Purchase links: One Click (OOS) - Black PET Slip - Red PET Slip - Lenticular Slip (OOS)
Price: $39.99 (PET or Lenti Slips) - $119 (One Click)

12182971_640513382719104_770370116814541632_o_jp.jpg 12247769_640513376052438_3548865314478355399_o_j.jpg 12239422_640513379385771_7779069545648233104_o_j.jpg

·TOTAL PRINT RUN : 4K (Domestic = 2K, International = 2K)
·PET SLIP BLACK EDITION : 950 Copies, Numbered
·PET SLIP RED EDITION : 950 Copies, Numbered
·LENTICULAR SLIP : 1,200 Copies, Numbered
·ONE CLICK : 300 Copies, Numbered (As same numbered PET SLIP BLACK EDITION + PET SLIP RED EDITION + Lenticular slip)
From Novamedia facebook :
Announcement] Novamedia Exclusive Blu-ray Steelbook No.8 [DREDD 2D + 3D]
We are happy to announce that [DREDD 3D] Steelbook
Steelbook will be released in this year.
Please stay tuned for more updates. Thanks!

Dear our customers
Today we would like to hear our valuable customer voice over exclusive steelbook artwork candidate of Dredd 3D
As we said before, Now Ahn Jeongsik in Pixtube, has working on Dredd 3D steelbook artwork
Mr. Ahn designed several candidate for Dredd 3D artwok then We internally discussed final artwork but We have decided to hear our customer voice over following two artwork candidates.
We kindly ask our customer to choose which artwork would be final artwork for steelbook and reply your comments on each of artwork candidate.
We will consider your valuable opinions about artwork then We will post final artwork soon here in Facebook.

We always thanks for your kind supports

Thank you
Novamedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a marketing failure wholesale. In ALL territories the poster said DREDD 3D. That was an albatross around its neck. People thought it was ONLY showing in 3D. I have heard this from many people in the UK as well.
It was a straight-up marketing disaster.
It was only available in the 4 cinemas near me in 3D. I did go and see it even though 3D gives me a headache afterwards.

Reactions: Ashisarobot
It was a marketing failure wholesale. In ALL territories the poster said DREDD 3D. That was an albatross around its neck. People thought it was ONLY showing in 3D. I have heard this from many people in the UK as well.
It was a straight-up marketing disaster.
I saw it in 2D and 3D. It made reasonable money in the UK so it wasn't a failure in "ALL" territories because even my grandmother knows who Judge Dredd is and I don't even read it, it even won awards for its marketing campaign. It was made crystal clear why it failed in a TV interview with Urban and that answer was it's performance at the US box office. If it had been successful in the US it would be getting a sequel.

It was only showing in 3D at my local cinema too, which is the main reason why I didn't go to see it... although I obviously wish I had now, because the 3D actually worked great in this case, and would've been worth the headache/nausea afterwards.

Didn't Edge of Tomorrow have similar problems? Great film, but the marketing was a mess... it probably didn't help that they kept changing the name.

I saw it in 2D and 3D. It made reasonable money in the UK so it wasn't a failure in "ALL" territories because even my grandmother knows who Judge Dredd is and I don't even read it, it even won awards for its marketing campaign. It was made crystal clear why it failed in a TV interview with Urban and that answer was it's performance at the US box office. If it had been successful in the US it would be getting a sequel.

It did out perform the latest Resident Feeble movie in the UK, so it did make money in some countries, it also sold impressive numbers in the US, considering its less than stellar B.O there:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Dredd#tab=summary

Hopefully the more steelbook sales may convince the money-men to dig deep and fund a sequel (or two).

Think of the back catalogue sales of Dredd, if Dredd 2 was green-lit!

Reactions: psychoscot
It was only showing in 3D at my local cinema too, which is the main reason why I didn't go to see it... although I obviously wish I had now, because the 3D actually worked great in this case, and would've been worth the headache/nausea afterwards.

Didn't Edge of Tomorrow have similar problems? Great film, but the marketing was a mess... it probably didn't help that they kept changing the name.

Yes, atrocious marketing so on the plus side many people have yet to watch that great movie. I hear some studio exec panicked over the title All You Need Is Kill and changed the name,not saying it would have made a huge difference but quite possibly one of the coolest titles ever..........thanks mr exec,you clueless middle ground merchant

Even so, no matter how many bluray's they sell we won't see a sequel. All studios see are the $ signs.

Box office takings is rarely a barometer of quality, that's how the financial success of the Transformers movies is explained! ;)

I agree but unfortunately big studios want big box office takings, or else that's it. The A team was another that I enjoyed, didn't do well enough at the box office so no sequel. Would loved to of seen a sequel for that.

The director of the film has said 100% there will not be a sequel to this movie.
He said down the road there may be a Dredd movie but it won't feature him our the cast.

I don't understand the big deal with a sequel or not. Based on earnings, I'd be more inclined to say there'll be no sequel. The movie BOMBED --> $13m in USA and $22m ROW for a total worldwide cum of approx $36m. Heck, Stallone's Judge Dredd made 3x that amount (total worldwide cum of $113m).

• Informative
Reactions: harry
I don't understand the big deal with a sequel or not. Based on earnings, I'd be more inclined to say there'll be no sequel. The movie BOMBED --> $13m in USA and $22m ROW for a total worldwide cum of approx $36m. Heck, Stallone's Judge Dredd made 3x that amount (total worldwide cum of $113m).

Damn i did not know that Judge Dredd made 3x more than Dredd

Dredd
Cinema takings
$13.4 million from North America (Box Office $13,414,714)

$6.9 million in the UK
$27.6 million from markets outside of North America

Outside of the UK and North America, Dredd had its most successful total gross takings in China ($4.5 million), Russia ($4 million), and Australia ($2 million)

DVD/Blu-ray
North America
Home Market Performance
Domestic DVD Sales $11,097,374
Domestic Blu-ray Sales $7,304,822
Total Domestic Video Sales $18,402,196

It also did very well as digital download with likes of iTunes etc

UK it marked over 270 days with online-retailers top 100 selling home media DVD/Blu-ray
Don't have the actual gross figure for the UK

It actually made more with DVD/Blu-ray finically than it did with USA Cinemas
Domestic Box Office
North America
Box Office $13,414,714
Home Video $18,402,196

Some films can be considered a hit after the sales from Home Video Market even if its not a Box Office hit on release

There has been lots of films that did very well with DVD/Blu-ray but did not do that well at the box office and some are considered classics and highly rated films

Last edited:
Wasn't Blade Runner a massive flop at the cinema? They are now working on a sequel 30+ years later so there's still hope...

Blade Runner grossed more domestically in the US in 1982 than Dredd in 2012 ($27.5m vs $13m). Blade runner has a bigger cult following than Dredd.
@paulboland Dredd had a production cost of $50m and there's more additional costs in advertising and promoting, so if you include the worldwide media/download sales, it's still a loss. There's nothing wrong with fans wanting a sequel, it's all good for collectors, but looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: blu-steel