Nov 29, 2012
Release date: May 27th, 2015
Price: €35.10
Purchase link: Amazon FR

exodus.jpg

ARTWORK TBA:
81FQWORyAnL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this movie was basically the Ten commandments all over again, and that movie is far superior to this.

@blusteel980

I was interested to read your brief but succinct comparison of "Exodus: Gods and Kings" with Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 version of "The Ten Commandments". Given that one is essentially a remake or 're-imagining' of the other, I am surprised at how few of the reviews that I've read have even referred to the earlier film, let alone compared the two.

I've yet to see the new film since it only opened in the UK a few days ago. I shall be going next week when everyone is back at work or school, so there will be fewer audience related distractions. I'll reserve final judgement until then but, even on the basis of the various trailers that I've seen plus a couple of behind the scenes programmes on the TV, I have some serious reservations. And I speak as an avid admirer of Ridley Scott!

My reservations are in respect of the casting of the two leads, Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton, and have absolutely nothing to do with their ethnicity. It's simply that they lack the stature of their predecessors, Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. When portraying such larger than life characters as Moses and Rameses the Great, you really need actors to match and that was certainly achieved in the earlier film.

Christian Bale can be a fine character actor, albeit prone to a hectoring approach in some of the roles he has played, but he's no Charlton Heston! And therein lies the problem for people like me who grew up with the epics of the 50's and 60's. Charlton Heston totally inhabited the role of Moses, as he did those of Ben-Hur and El Cid, and many more besides. I just don't see Christian Bale as being capable of filling those shoes. Russell Crowe maybe but not Christian Bale.

When I see the film next week, I shall endeavour to watch it with an open mind and hope that Ridley Scott can weave his magic for me again, as he has done so often before. If so, I'll certainly be up for the Steelbook.

Like this edition is without banner, I'm hesitating between this and the UK edition.... UK has french langage !?

Nice artwork, but steels from France have been receiving far too expensive prices. I'll keep an eye on a price drop.