Release date: May 18th, 2015
Purchase link: Gangs of New York
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2,500 copies.

11037431-1419955988-793973.jpg

11037431-3864294026932124.JPG

11037431-6814294026924783.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat disappointed that EiV have apparently retained the UK distribution rights to "Gangs of New York". I had hoped that those rights had lapsed and that this title would have fallen under the 2011 agreement whereby Miramax titles are distributed in the US by Lionsgate and in Europe by Studio Canal.

Had that been the case, we would undoubtedly have got the new 2010 re-mastered transfer, as has both the US and Germany. Unfortunately, in the UK EiV never re-released it in the re-mastered transfer. Instead all we have is the original 2002 transfer, created for the DVD release and also used for the first Blu-ray release, infamous for being one of the worst HD transfers ever released, blighted with edge enhancement, DNR, compression artifacts, vertical striping and black crush!

Although it's possible that EiV may take the opportunity to include the re-mastered disc in the forthcoming Steelbook, I think it's highly unlikely. I guess I'll be sticking with my US Lionsgate release.

The current UK disc is also locked to Region B, whereas the US one is Region ABC.

Not looking good for the forthcoming Steelbook releases of "The Crow" and "American Psycho".

I have the Canadian Steelbook on the way. Can anyone tell me what the transfer on that is like? Is it better or the same as the UK transfer?

I have the Canadian Steelbook on the way. Can anyone tell me what the transfer on that is like? Is it better or the same as the UK transfer?

The Canadian Steelbook was released by Alliance in 2010 and contains the re-mastered transfer. The disc is identical to the US one, even to the extent of being Region ABC, unusual for an Alliance title.

I agree, artwork shouldnt be the same as every other released (including DVD!) but note this is in the "2 for £30" special offer.

So £15 isnt too bad in my eyes.

However, because of the boring/lazy artwork, im going to wait. As my last 10-15 purchases have all been half price within 2-4 weeks of being released.

Not saying it will be the same, but this steelbook has the same sort of colours used on it as the Buried steelbook- And we all know what an absolute disaster that turned out to be.
Will wait on actual pictures (need to see inside/back art) before making my mind up on this one, although it will inevitably be in a sale down the line...