Guardians of the Galaxy (3D + 2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Future Shop Exclusive) [Canada]

Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
Release date: December 9th, 2014
Purchase link: Regular edition or Bilingual edition
Price: $28.99
Group Buy: Drum18 & biscuitnoir

Units: 8000
Format: 3D + 2D Blu-ray (No DVD)
m2214894_1.jpg

m2214894.jpg m2214894_3.jpg m2214895.jpg

Check out the Future Shop SteelBook page!

Last edited by a moderator:
so true, Thor 2 TDW and CA2 TWS Future Shop Exclusive the finish was poor, enough to go ''yikes'' when you have one in hands... The asian(Taiwan) release of CA 2 TWS was superb - the steel with the embossed/debossed, perfect Gloss and stunning 1/4 slip to blend in. comparing one side to side is a joke.
The only release that I was pleased with from Future Shop was Divergent(although Adore the ES also) but it had a different artwork which I loved and Matte Finish(some collectors love that type on some steel it works perfectly). The quality on Divergent FS and the Marvel releases FS is not comparable. Hobbit Extended FS was also nice...it's not all their release you can find a few that are great quality, but i agree it seem they are over producing and lowering the quality...I passed on GOTG FS without even giving it a second look as I knew it would have similar finish as the previous Marvel releases. I didn't see one but I can bet on it.
Okay time to step in. For 99.9% of all Steelbooks the retailer has 0 say in what happens with the product. Second, the bigger the title the even less likely the studio will listen to suggestions, it ends up becoming "retailer do you want this steelbook?"

Mondo has so far been an exception to the process.

You can rag on the quality of FS SteelBooks all you like, but take a look at the whole of North America SteelBooks. Studios are starting to tighten their belts and spend less time and resources on products that are selling less in the market because of the rise of digital. Take the studio that made the famous iron man steelbook, they haven't made solid design choices in a long time because it's easier and cheaper just to go along with the same art that's everywhere (transformers).

You guys can whine and moan all you want, but keep doing so and these products will just continue to disappear from the market.

All I'm saying is take into consideration the decline of the physical home video industry, it's half the size as 2 years ago.

I am fully behind Mondo X SteelBook as it's our best chance at keeping the physical business alive and the product is damn cool.

This directed at @psychoscot and @StifflersDad

Last edited:
Okay time to step in. For 99.9% of all Steelbooks the retailer has 0 say in what happens with the product. Second, the bigger the title the even less likely the studio will listen to suggestions, it ends up becoming "retailer do you want this steelbook?"

You can rag on the quality of FS SteelBooks all you like, but take a look at the whole of North America SteelBooks. Studios are starting to tighten their belts and spend less time and resources on products that are selling less in the market because of the rise of digital. Take the studio that made the famous iron man steelbook, they haven't made solid design choices in a long time because it's easier and cheaper just to go along with the same art that's everywhere (transformers).

You guys can whine and moan all you want, but keep doing so and these products will just continue to disappear from the market.

All I'm saying is take into consideration the decline of the physical home video industry, it's half the size as 2 years ago.

I am fully behind Mondo X SteelBook as it's our best chance at keeping the physical business alive and the product is damn cool.

The best thing you can continue doing is providing feedback which will get relayed back to the studios in the form of tips to improve creative

@zerox39 all I was saying is that the previous 2 Marvel releases were not great quality but did mention that Divergent was excellent quality(bought 4 copies as I loved the design and quality of it so much) and also Hobbit desolation Extended was nice as well... but I get what you are saying with Marvel a big studio like them you don't have the choice to take it or leave it basically... but I wasn't putting down every single releases as FS puts out some excellent steels... I didn't go in details of all the past ones that I think are some of the best steels I have (the bourne trilogy black and white matte finish really nice quality best version on market), Total recall, Kick Ass(INSANE STEEL), Finding Nemo 3D Viva Metal which was stunning artwork amazing colors and debossing, also Viva Metal FS Exclusive Cinderella again another beautiful release just to name a few... ok I am going back in time a bit but my point is I was mainly refering to the Marvel Thor 2 and CA2 but I understand your point and I did not mean any disrespect. Maybe it came off this way, if so I apologize I should have written it in a better way.

Reactions: Drum18

Unfortuntely you are basing your knowledge and info on the North American market which has little relevance on a world wide level.

You are correct that in NA digital has done very well indeed with services like Netflix killing off rental stores and decreasing the amount of physical discs sold but thats not the case in the UK and Europe or many parts of Asia for that matter. Here the disc is still king when it comes to films and television. Our on demand serives are very poor compared to NA and aren't going to be improving anytime soon which has resulted in far less subscribers than over the pond. Couple that with the fact that here illegal downloads account for 90% of the content downloads and the studios have a major problem. So much so that several corporations are putting heavy pressure on our Government to increase censorship of the internet and now many sites are being blocked by service providers in a bid to stem piracy. DVD and Blu ray sales here far outstrip actual legal downloads for visual content anyway, music is another discussion. Because of those factors I know 2 studios first hand that are delighted with the small success that steelbooks have provided. It has grown into a true collectable like picture discs and other media that attract a collectors market and that does give the consumer and retailer some power which they aren't using to it's full advantage. Blu ray has sold well in Europe but there is still some confusion for quite a large amount of the public who are still using CRT Tube TV as to the benefits and they account for around 25% of TV's still in use in Europe which has been a major factor in why blu ray doesn't sell as well as it should. The fact this has seen the rise of a new collectable has put money in the studios pocket "granted not huge amounts" but it is keeping the physical format alive, and it's continuing to grow here where steelbooks seem to be the most popular. Retailers are actively marketing them in movie magazines and other media outlets and we are seeing a flood or new and older releases that are well made and 50% of the time with some actual thought put into them resulting in great products which when taken on by the Asian retailers with added extra's make some seriously pricely second hand market collectables, and that there is North America's problem.

While here with physical being king some thought and quality is still expected by the studios and for the most part it's provided although with the popularity growing we have seen floods of poorer efforts which always happens when something takes off with any success and the corporations try and capitalise on them. NA has struggled because of this, with many of your retailers being for the domestic market they have tried to produce products to aid those collectors over there but because physical formats are dying there it definitely has resulted recently in far poorer quality products. European and Asian companies for the most part with exceptions here and there think international sales, NA companies don't. They have a closed market that if it wasn't for the kindness of people like @Drum18 and others we would never see any of these releases at affordable prices, and because of this they seem to think they can get away with cheaper products. Now not everything made is bad, as you point out the upcoming Mondo's are superb and recent releases like the second Hobbit film has a lovely finish and great art compared to many other countries but far to many are failing, Captain America 2 was just a disaster with terrible finish, washed out art and the actual quality of the steel itself was very inferior to the European version. Godzilla was the same, same art as Europe but the actual steel quality and finish was terrible. I'm not blaming you so don't take it personally if I want to moan lol, I'm blaming the people at the heads of those retailer companies for accepting such products period. It seems a case of well we know they are doing well elsewhere at the moment and we seem to have collectors here so lets pump some out on the cheap. You only have to look at some of the waves released in Canada of older titles that were pretty bad and cheaply thrown together compared to the older releases Zavvi often manages to secure. We've seen some of those waves hit Europe eventually and except for the odd one or two they are pretty poor. If it wasn't for your hard work and others who actually collect them themselves I'm sure the quality would fall further in a market where digital is more popular. So yes I will moan and continue to moan as is my right but I do understand all to well how the system works, and it won't change for NA releases anytime soon. You will contunue to get some amazing releases but your going to see lots of very cheaply made ones too purely because the Corporate heads are you are very correct tightening their belts but still want to please a small group of collectors and because they don't think on an international level means they don't need to bother too much about the quality we demand here or in Asia. :)

All that said. This looks like it's gonna be one of the good ones [emoji41]

Last edited:
Reactions: StifflersDad
Unfortuntely you are basing your knowledge and info on the North American market which has little relevance on a world wide level.

You are correct that in NA digital has done very well indeed with services like Netflix killing off rental stores and decreasing the amount of physical discs sold but thats not the case in the UK and Europe or many parts of Asia for that matter. Here the disc is still king when it comes to films and television. Our on demand serives are very poor compared to NA and aren't going to be improving anytime soon which has resulted in far less subscribers than over the pond. Couple that with the fact that here illegal downloads account for 90% of the content downloads and the studios have a major problem. So much so that several corporations are putting heavy pressure on our Government to increase censorship of the internet and now many sites are being blocked by service providers in a bid to stem piracy. DVD and Blu ray sales here far outstrip actual legal downloads for visual content anyway, music is another discussion. Because of those factors I know 2 studios first hand that are delighted with the small success that steelbooks have provided. It has grown into a true collectable like picture discs and other media that attract a collectors market and that does give the consumer and retailer some power which they aren't using to it's full advantage. Blu ray has sold well in Europe but there is still some confusion for quite a large amount of the public who are still using CRT Tube TV as to the benefits and they account for around 25% of TV's still in use in Europe which has been a major factor in why blu ray doesn't sell as well as it should. The fact this has seen the rise of a new collectable has put money in the studios pocket "granted not huge amounts" but it is keeping the physical format alive, and it's continuing to grow here where steelbooks seem to be the most popular. Retailers are actively marketing them in movie magazines and other media outlets and we are seeing a flood or new and older releases that are well made and 50% of the time with some actual thought put into them resulting in great products which when taken on by the Asian retailers with added extra's make some seriously pricely second hand market collectables, and that there is North America's problem.

While here with physical being king some thought and quality is still expected by the studios and for the most part it's provided although with the popularity growing we have seen floods of poorer efforts which always happens when something takes off with any success and the corporations try and capitalise on them. NA has struggled because of this, with many of your retailers being for the domestic market they have tried to produce products to aid those collectors over there but because physical formats are dying there it definitely has resulted recently in far poorer quality products. European and Asian companies for the most part with exceptions here and there think international sales, NA companies don't. They have a closed market that if it wasn't for the kindness of people like @Drum18 and others we would never see any of these releases at affordable prices, and because of this they seem to think they can get away with cheaper products. Now not everything made is bad, as you point out the upcoming Mondo's are superb and recent releases like the second Hobbit film has a lovely finish and great art compared to many other countries but far to many are failing, Captain America 2 was just a disaster with terrible finish, washed out art and the actual quality of the steel itself was very inferior to the European version. Godzilla was the same, same art as Europe but the actual steel quality and finish was terrible. I'm not blaming you so don't take it personally if I want to moan lol, I'm blaming the people at the heads of those retailer companies for accepting such products period. It seems a case of well we know they are doing well elsewhere at the moment and we seem to have collectors here so lets pump some out on the cheap. You only have to look at some of the waves released in Canada of older titles that were pretty bad and cheaply thrown together compared to the older releases Zavvi often manages to secure. We've seen some of those waves hit Europe eventually and except for the odd one or two they are pretty poor. If it wasn't for your hard work and others who actually collect them themselves I'm sure the quality would fall further in a market where digital is more popular. So yes I will moan and continue to moan as is my right but I do understand all to well how the system works, and it won't change for NA releases anytime soon. You will contunue to get some amazing releases but your going to see lots of very cheaply made ones too purely because the Corporate heads are you are very correct tightening their belts but still want to please a small group of collectors and because they don't think on an international level means they don't need to bother too much about the quality we demand here or in Asia. :)

All that said. This looks like it's gonna be one of the good ones [emoji41]
What he said!

While the video does better justice to this steelbook than the pictures first shown, I still think the international one looks slightly better. But one can't deny the US and Canada steelbooks' quality has changed, especially when it comes to glossy ones. Out of all the steelbooks to come out in the US this year, I only bought 9 and got rid of 4. Out of the ones I kept, I only really liked 1, Hunger Games Catching Fire.

If you were to take any old glossy steelbook from the US or Canada from about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago and prior, such as The Evil Dead, Zero Dark thirty, Cowboys and Aliens or Amazing Spiderman, to name a few, and compare it to ANY recent glossy steelbook, you will notice a difference. The most obvious is the insane amount of fingerprints the recent ones produce. Anything glossy will cause fingerprints but not to this extent. The old ones also seem to have sharper images and deeper colors, and the paint almost blended in better with the metal. The recent ones are easier to chip or they come with pre-wrapped hairline scratches. I think it was on this site earlier this year somebody compared a steelbook to a soda can in terms of flimsiness. Did they simply run out of that particular paint that used to be applied to the older ones?

But, it is what it is, to me it just sorta seems like they used to have a more premium feel to them and they no longer do.

So were going to get different artwork on the inside to the UK release, was not expecting that, wonder what other steelbook releases will do with the inside artwork.