Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 1 OST (CD SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 3rd , 2018
Purchase Link: Zavvi (pre-orders will be live December 5 at around 12PM noon UK time)
Price: £15.99
Notes: CD SteelBook (doesn't include the film) - Embossing on logo, Includes an 8 page booklet

11636141-1434535674223136.jpg

11636141-9564535674362333.jpg

Last edited:
That’s part of the indemic problem.
Yes, these movies aren’t great. They’re not terrible, but they’re technically proficient enough to be fine films while simultaneously lacking all semblance of creative input. And no- they wouldn’t reflect diminishing returns... because the general audience doesn’t have what would traditionally be known as “good taste”. That’s why we’re on our 5th (?) transformers movie while films such as Bladerunner 2049, despite its quality, suffered heavily at the box office.

And equating the films to comic book movies is a disservice to the filmmakers like the aforementioned Christopher Nolan who does produce more than what would be harkened to “a comic book movie”. It’s a bit like trying to take away from the value and superb film of The Empire Strikes Back by comparing it to an episode of Family Fued where the contestants occasionally whack each other with brightly colored sticks.

The problem isn’t that Marvel movies are bad, it’s just that they lack any thing that would otherwise make them great.
Of course this is subjective as everyone likes different things but Marvel does have movies that are great. Sure, they got some that were on the meh side but Guardians was great and I'm not referring to the story here. This thing came with a gorgeous soundtrack and emotions linked to them, lovable characters and was visually stunning. TWS was amazing with great pacing, gorgeous fight choreography and it was exiting and had twists and depth. I could watch it once a week and it would never get old, in fact, I'd probably find even more brilliant things that I like about it. Seriously, when my parents and other people who don't watch comic book movies watch that thing and love it, I think you can safely say that it's a genuinely great movie. Maybe not to you of course but hey, I heard there are people who thought Dunkirk was ****** so, can't make everyone happy I guess. ^^''

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
Marvels movies arent meant to win awards. They are big budget thrilling popcorn movies for the family. They are spectacular spectacles of action scenes and special effects that work exactly like they should on the big screen.

• Thanks
Reactions: Wreck and Stygian
I can say this, I've yet to read a Marvel comic and then compare it to War and Peace.

I myself have a fair collection, and every now and then I will immerse myself in Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man or the Fanastic Four etc.

The pages now show their wear, my own inflicted creases and some subtle foxing from sitting too long, within arms reach, on my coffee table over the years. But my editions of classic hardback novels sit pristine on a shelf.

The fact is, we mostly crave fast paced, action packed, fantasy filled adventure. Marvel gives us exactly that, and long may it live on.

• Thanks
Reactions: Darth toffeeman
Of course this is subjective as everyone likes different things but Marvel does have movies that are great. Sure, they got some that were on the meh side but Guardians was great and I'm not referring to the story here. This thing came with a gorgeous soundtrack and emotions linked to them, lovable characters and was visually stunning. TWS was amazing with great pacing, gorgeous fight choreography and it was exiting and had twists and depth. I could watch it once a week and it would never get old, in fact, I'd probably find even more brilliant things that I like about it. Seriously, when my parents and other people who don't watch comic book movies watch that thing and love it, I think you can safely say that it's a genuinely great movie. Maybe not to you of course but hey, I heard there are people who thought Dunkirk was ****** so, can't make everyone happy I guess. ^^''

Yeah- and I really like The Winter Soldier, I think it's possibly the best Marvel movie. Not only does The Winter Soldier not force in one of the Infinity Stone We-Gotta-Get-The-McGuffin plots- but it is a consistent film that treats the characters like larger than life superheroes within an espionage film. I wish there were more thinks like The Winter Soldier that are willing to make DIFFERENT films- and not just the same rehashed "Zero Stakes- Heroes Journey" nonsense.

In addition, I think the mere fact that you had to mention that "you're not referring to the story" when talking about the achievements of Guardians of the Galaxy should bar it from being a great movie. If the story of a film isn't great- then the best I think it can be is "good".

Also I didn't really like Dunkirk. It was a fine cinematic experiences (somewhat like an IMAX nature documentary), but fell short on narrative cohesion, character depth, and used unconventional derivatives of time in order to force the exciting parts of the film to line up with one another- without such sequencing to serve the purposes of the story itself. So... mixed bag. It'd be unfair to call Dunkirk "bad", but I do think that it fails within the traditional confines of a film- but at the same time- I don't think it was meant to be taken as a "film".

Marvels movies arent meant to win awards. They are big budget thrilling popcorn movies for the family. They are spectacular spectacles of action scenes and special effects that work exactly like they should on the big screen.

I just wish Marvel would be more adventurous and make more things like "Logan" and less things like Iron Man Again (a.k.a. Doctor Strange). All I want is some diversity.

Yeah- and I really like The Winter Soldier, I think it's possibly the best Marvel movie. Not only does The Winter Soldier not force in one of the Infinity Stone We-Gotta-Get-The-McGuffin plots- but it is a consistent film that treats the characters like larger than life superheroes within an espionage film. I wish there were more thinks like The Winter Soldier that are willing to make DIFFERENT films- and not just the same rehashed "Zero Stakes- Heroes Journey" nonsense.

In addition, I think the mere fact that you had to mention that "you're not referring to the story" when talking about the achievements of Guardians of the Galaxy should bar it from being a great movie. If the story of a film isn't great- then the best I think it can be is "good".

Also I didn't really like Dunkirk. It was a fine cinematic experiences (somewhat like an IMAX nature documentary), but fell short on narrative cohesion, character depth, and used unconventional derivatives of time in order to force the exciting parts of the film to line up with one another- without such sequencing to serve the purposes of the story itself. So... mixed bag. It'd be unfair to call Dunkirk "bad", but I do think that it fails within the traditional confines of a film- but at the same time- I don't think it was meant to be taken as a "film".

I just wish Marvel would be more adventurous and make more things like "Logan" and less things like Iron Man Again (a.k.a. Doctor Strange). All I want is some diversity.
And I completely agree with regards to TWS. Imo it is the best MCU movie so far coz it doesn't follow the same formula the others do. It's an espionage thriller that just happens to have some superheroes but non of them are shooting beams or have magical hammers and I honestly wish CW had followed suit. Also, I hate when these movies are loaded with CGI nowadays so it stands out even more when a movie uses real action and well-choreographed hand-to-hand combat.

The fact that I "didn’t refer to the story" for Guardians was because I know that some people don't think it's good. I liked it and a movie can indeed be more than just its story as long as it has one that isn't complete garbage. To me things like the opening sequence or the entire ending sequence make this movie very special.

See, and Dunkirk isn't supposed to have character depth. Here the great thing is that it hasn't coz it's about war and those guys are just a few of thousands. Maybe you'll know the guys name maybe not.

Last edited:
Don't you mean Spider-Man Homecoming?;) Felt less like a Spider-Man movie and more like an issue of Marvel Team-Up
009.jpg

That’s part of the indemic problem.
Yes, these movies aren’t great. They’re not terrible, but they’re technically proficient enough to be fine films while simultaneously lacking all semblance of creative input. And no- they wouldn’t reflect diminishing returns... because the general audience doesn’t have what would traditionally be known as “good taste”. That’s why we’re on our 5th (?) transformers movie while films such as Bladerunner 2049, despite its quality, suffered heavily at the box office.

And equating the films to comic book movies is a disservice to the filmmakers like the aforementioned Christopher Nolan who does produce more than what would be harkened to “a comic book movie”. It’s a bit like trying to take away from the value and superb film of The Empire Strikes Back by comparing it to an episode of Family Fued where the contestants occasionally whack each other with brightly colored sticks.

The problem isn’t that Marvel movies are bad, it’s just that they lack any thing that would otherwise make them great.

To accuse people of having bad taste is terrbly condescending, there is no such thing, you will find it's different tastes.

Personally I can watch a marvel movie and be thoroughly entertained, likewise when I watched Blade Runner 2049.

And I completely agree with regards to TWS. Imo it is the best MCU movie so far coz it doesn't follow the same formula the others do. It's an espionage thriller that just happens to have some superheroes but non of them are shooting beams or have magical hammers and I honestly wish CW had followed suit. Also, I hate when these movies are loaded with CGI nowadays so it stands out even more when a movie uses real action and well-choreographed hand-to-hand combat.

See, and Dunkirk isn't supposed to have character depth. Here the great thing is that it hasn't coz it's about war and those guys are just a few of thousands. Maybe you'll know the guys name maybe not.

Yeah, that’s exactly my point. We’re on the same page here.

And again, yeah. I thought that Dunkirk was an interesting experience, it is an experiment- and it succeeds at exactly what it sought to do- which is to reenact the “feeling” of war- but again, with movies that I watch- I like them to have characters. If there are no characters, then why would I be invested in the events that unfold around them?

Don't you mean Spider-Man Homecoming?;) Felt less like a Spider-Man movie and more like an issue of Marvel Team-UpView attachment 347441

Oh man. Spider-Man: Homecoming was actually the first Marvel movie I’ve walked out on. Not that it was particularly bad... but just because I found it bland. XD

Also... in regards to those people on the Staten Island Ferry (side note: they don’t allow cars on the Staten Island Ferry anymore, so that’s also BS)- what was the danger there? If that ferry actually went down, they’re only about a hundred meters from land and Harbour patrol would have gotten to them in under 2 minutes. So where are the stakes...?
Sorry- New Yorker rant, there.

To accuse people of having bad taste is terrbly condescending, there is no such thing, you will find it's different tastes.

Personally I can watch a marvel movie and be thoroughly entertained, likewise when I watched Blade Runner 2049.

I don’t mean to condescend, my point wasn’t to call out any individual here... but I assume that it’s fairly common knowledge that “General Audience” reception of things are always poor indicators. It’s why “Happy Death Day” out-grossed “Bladerunner 2049” and why we keep getting more Rolan Emmerich films.

But my point wasn’t to offend. I’m sorry if I did.

And I too can be entertained by Marvel films. But most of them leave my brain as quickly as they entered. I personally wouldn’t equate them to “films”, moreso I would harken them to cinematic soup. Or like- the McDonalds of cinema. It appeals to just about everyone, but it’s not a memorable experience as it is more of just a question of sustainence.

I would prefer Marvel to do more creative and unique films as opposed to doing the same light-hearted action comedy 21 times in a row.

And I too can be entertained by Marvel films. But most of them leave my brain as quickly as they entered. I personally wouldn’t equate them to “films”, moreso I would harken them to cinematic soup. Or like- the McDonalds of cinema. It appeals to just about everyone, but it’s not a memorable experience as it is more of just a question of sustainence.
:hilarious: Clearly we're not coz to me TWS is a great film inside and outside the superhero movie genre and you'd never find that kind of quality at 'McDonalds'.

And it's great to see that you don't mean to offend but going on about how the MCU movies aren't worth to be called 'films' and are the McDonalds of cinema just feels kinda offensive to many that love these movies. I find McDonalds disgusting btw and just coz a lot of people like a specific movie and praise it doesn't mean you have to but saying they got no taste is a bit offensive don't you agree? Just coz you like something doesn't mean I have to and the fact that you walked out on Spider-Man Homecoming gives me the feeling that our tastes don't align well anyway. :rofl: See, I can accept if someone doesn't like all the movies and has a lot of criticism for some of them (coz I have too) but generalisations are never a good idea, negative nor positive.

And again, yeah. I thought that Dunkirk was an interesting experience, it is an experiment- and it succeeds at exactly what it sought to do- which is to reenact the “feeling” of war- but again, with movies that I watch- I like them to have characters. If there are no characters, then why would I be invested in the events that unfold around them?

Oh man. Spider-Man: Homecoming was actually the first Marvel movie I’ve walked out on. Not that it was particularly bad... but just because I found it bland. XD

Also... in regards to those people on the Staten Island Ferry (side note: they don’t allow cars on the Staten Island Ferry anymore, so that’s also BS)- what was the danger there? If that ferry actually went down, they’re only about a hundred meters from land and Harbour patrol would have gotten to them in under 2 minutes. So where are the stakes...?
Sorry- New Yorker rant, there.

I don’t mean to condescend, my point wasn’t to call out any individual here... but I assume that it’s fairly common knowledge that “General Audience” reception of things are always poor indicators. It’s why “Happy Death Day” out-grossed “Bladerunner 2049” and why we keep getting more Rolan Emmerich films.

But my point wasn’t to offend. I’m sorry if I did.

I would prefer Marvel to do more creative and unique films as opposed to doing the same light-hearted action comedy 21 times in a row.

Fair enough. To some degree I get what you are saying but I think they have offered some variety, like has been said about TWS, which is probably my favourite MCU movie. Then you have Antman which was a heist movie pretty much, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good I thought it was.

You also have bear in mind that these movies have to appeal to the younger audience also. To me the only thing that differences Logan is the fact that it's aimed at the adult audience, and there's less of the "super" element.

My guess is Iron Man or Cap trilogy, or the start of a 4k wave. Agree with everyone that it seems too early to be Guardians 2 lenti or a Netflix release, unless it's a long preorder period

Back to the beginning (lol)
Maybe the slimmest of chances but personally speaking I'd be happy with a UK release of the Blufans MONDO AVENGERS ASSEMBLE steelbook . . . for a sensible price . . . to go with the similar style Tyler Stout RESERVOIR DOGS release:-

DQKgVwMVoAA3SAH.jpg:large

DQKgY_VUQAAm_GP.jpg:large

. . . even though we've already had 2 or even 3 steelbooks for this film here in the UK (if you include the 2-BD steelbook with AGE OF ULTRON) . . .
. . . but both of those had issues . . .
1) Gorgeously glossy and smart . . embossed "big A" design . . . HMV exclusive . . . issue = ugly picture spine . . . released 5 years ago.
2) Lenticular edition . . . issue = misaligned and badly scaled artwork (lenti vs. steelie) . . . Zavvi exclusive . . . their first lenticular release and the 2nd ever UK lenticular release after LIFE OF PI in April, 2013 . . . a more recent release than the HMV (April, 2015). Definitely a very pleasing steelbook (without the lenticular) in spite of the zero finish.
3) 2-film set . . . no real issues apart from what could be considered boring artwork that's already been used on the standalone steelbooks for both AVENGERS and AGE OF ULTRON . . . available cheaply for a good while with yo-yo pricing since release in November, 2015.
120765_large.jpg
129589_large.jpg
143246_large.jpg
47638_large.jpg

Fair enough. To some degree I get what you are saying but I think they have offered some variety, like has been said about TWS, which is probably my favourite MCU movie. Then you have Antman which was a heist movie pretty much, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good I thought it was.

You also have bear in mind that these movies have to appeal to the younger audience also. To me the only thing that differences Logan is the fact that it's aimed at the adult audience, and there's less of the "super" element.
Exactly. I too really like The Winter Soldier. I don't think Antman is great- but I enjoy it all the same. But I just wish Marvel didn't have to make EVERY movie appeal to such a broad audience. I think that the problem stems from Marvel having to be a producers driven studio and not a Directors Driven Studio. If you haven't followed up on it in the past- mostly every high-calibre director that has worked with Marvel in the past has detested their experience due to the creative stagnation that occurs on an individual level- being part of the reason why Marvel decides to pluck indie-film directors out of obscurity in order to make their big projects happen.

I just wish that Marvel had MORE variety. More programs like Logan, Jessica Jones, Legion... and while The New Mutants doesn't look particularly good, I'm glad that FOX Marvel is branching out and using the comic book medium in order to make a genre film.

:hilarious: Clearly we're not coz to me TWS is a great film inside and outside the superhero movie genre and you'd never find that kind of quality at 'McDonalds'.

And it's great to see that you don't mean to offend but going on about how the MCU movies aren't worth to be called 'films' and are the McDonalds of cinema just feels kinda offensive to many that love these movies. I find McDonalds disgusting btw and just coz a lot of people like a specific movie and praise it doesn't mean you have to but saying they got no taste is a bit offensive don't you agree? Just coz you like something doesn't mean I have to and the fact that you walked out on Spider-Man Homecoming gives me the feeling that our tastes don't align well anyway. :rofl: See, I can accept if someone doesn't like all the movies and has a lot of criticism for some of them (coz I have too) but generalisations are never a good idea, negative nor positive.

And I DO think The Winter Soldier is very good- it's one of the only Marvel Steelbooks that I haven't gotten rid of. :p
I get what you're saying, but I feel like generalizations do apply when it does pertain to the general audience. And again, I do wish to reiterate that I'm not name-calling any individual- I just mean to create the connotation that the reception of a film and the quality of said film don't necessarily have to have any correlation. It's like what Agent K said in Men in Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals..."

i.e. A lot of Americans voted for Donald Trump = A lot of Americans are idiots. It's a generalization, but it is an apt generalization.