HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The boxes were solid, stick some bubble wrap inside and you've got the ideal packaging.

isn't that what Zavvi uses now, but with ultra thin foam instead of bubble wrap

You cant beat the play.com box with lovely thick foam :hilarious:

Last edited:
isn't that what Zavvi uses now, but with ultra tin foam instead of bubble wrap

You cant beat the play.com box with lovely thick foam :hilarious:

The cardboard for the Zavvi boxes is much thinner and the foam offers hardly any protection, I would never use those for Steelbooks. HMV boxes on the other hand I have never had a problem with. I wouldn't use them to send high value Steelbooks of course, but anything less than a tenner they are worth using in my opinion.

The cardboard for the Zavvi boxes is much thinner and the foam offers hardly any protection, I would never use those for Steelbooks. HMV boxes on the other hand I have never had a problem with. I wouldn't use them to send high value Steelbooks of course, but anything less than a tenner they are worth using in my opinion.

would it cost you more to send in a play.com box rather than a hmv box?

would it cost you more to send in a play.com box rather than a hmv box?

Yes. If sending a single Steelbook, the HMV box squeezes into the 'large letter' category rather than the 'small parcel' category. If sending by second class, it is £1.10 instead of £2.60.

Reactions: Flip
Just popped in to my local HMV (Belfast) which is undergoing a bit of a re-model, everything is being re-priced and most seem to be on the increase, noticed amarays up by a few pounds but some ridiculous increases on steels such as:

Man Of Steel up from £17.99 last week to £29.99
Captain Phillips up from £16.99 last week to £29.99

:(

No, there website is basically useless at the minute. You can only buy their items in stores around the UK, if it is an exclusive steel you want, i think naughtius maximus generally does group buys for them all and some other members might aswell.

Last edited:
Reactions: guellium
Anyone else actually phone up their nearest HMV and ask them to put upcoming Steels aside when they have them? I went into the Milton Keynes one today at thecentre just on the off chance they got anymore Ender's Game steels in and I was told all they had was what they keep behind the counter for specific customer orders. I never knew that was an option!?

Reactions: robbiefett
Anyone else actually phone up their nearest HMV and ask them to put upcoming Steels aside when they have them? I went into the Milton Keynes one today at thecentre just on the off chance they got anymore Ender's Game steels in and I was told all they had was what they keep behind the counter for specific customer orders. I never knew that was an option!?

I take it they're just regular preorders that probably haven't been (and might never be) picked up yet.

You could always put your name down for a preorder. That was always an option.

Well the guy I asked about Ender's Game mentioned that people phone in and ask for a copy to be reserved, so in a way I guess it is pre-ordering. They said they will hold them for a month before I assume they sell them normally.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Well the guy I asked about Ender's Game mentioned that people phone in and ask for a copy to be reserved, so in a way I guess it is pre-ordering. They said they will hold them for a month before I assume they sell them normally.

They do hold them I live in MK and I phone on day of release and pick it up at lunch they hold/held me a copy for a few hours...but you can def do it..

If think you are giving HMV more credit than they deserve. Yes their Steelbooks are usually good quality and well priced, but those are two things that are mainly down to the studio.

Anyone know what their next exclusive steelbook is going to be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, would be handy to know what they are going to do. We get to hear about pretty much all the other retailers months in advance, but HMV seem to only release the odd one or two. I know they've had their problems, but the recent Ender's Game release was a top-notch steelbook and I'm hoping for further good stuff.

Yeah, would be handy to know what they are going to do. We get to hear about pretty much all the other retailers months in advance, but HMV seem to only release the odd one or two. I know they've had their problems, but the recent Ender's Game release was a top-notch steelbook and I'm hoping for further good stuff.

Personally in think its gonna be Need for Speed followed by Divergent. Think both are E One releases.

Next one's gonna be Wolf Of Wall Street on 19/5/14.

EDIT: Oh, exclusive. Well, could still be WOWS, but nothing is confirmed. If they stick with the theme on Ender's Game and Looper then it will be very different from every other release.

Last edited: