HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why oh why can't hmv bring back online ordering? Hate having to visit the shop to pre-order steelbooks ! :0 (

Because financially it wasn't beneficial for them to do so. They have steadily made a small profit and got back on their feet through the company that bought them. Going back online means less people in store.

Personally I would love an online store again, but I totally understand why they haven't and won't be launching one anytime in the near future.

I am not sure what other products HMV sells as I am not from UK but until now I thought companies increase online presence to deal with rising operating costs but I am guessing they must have their reason to scrap the online ordering.

Btw, for info purpose did HMV also shipped to US when they had online store?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It's a pity they have less stores these days, they are awkward for me to get to without making a special trip. There used to be a store at a retail park that was quite close by, but it closed a few years ago. It's a pity you can't order from the store to be delivered, surely that would make more sense.

Why oh why can't hmv bring back online ordering? Hate having to visit the shop to pre-order steelbooks ! :0 (

I just hate it when HMV get exclusives. With the costs of travelling to a store it's actually cheaper for me to order the same title from Korea or Taiwan! And scalpers usually clear out any nearby stores in double quick time too. The online store used to be great - pity they won't fetch it back.

HMV was one of a number of retailers, in the early 2000's, that based their online operations in the Channel Islands to take advantage of VAT free shipping to UK customers, provided the value of the consignment remained below £18.

That all changed at the end of 2011, when the UK government amended the rules so that all imports from the Channel Islands, irrespective of their value, became liable to the addition of UK VAT (20%). HMV's online prices inevitably rose to take account of this and they found themselves unable to compete with Amazon and Play, ultimately leading to their demise.

It was this experience which probably accounts for their reluctance to reinstate their online site. Hopefully, things will change and one day it will return. I just hope they don't end up like the Irish site!

Makes sense I guess... I just don't like having to go in-store to try and preorder steekbooks. I have now been into HMV Stevenage 3 times to try and pre-order their exclusive Amazing Spidey 2 steelbook. Each time they told me it is not on their system yet... and its a 30 mile round trip to get there. Doh! Think I'll just order the amazon.de version instead. :0)

Makes sense I guess... I just don't like having to go in-store to try and preorder steekbooks. I have now been into HMV Stevenage 3 times to try and pre-order their exclusive Amazing Spidey 2 steelbook. Each time they told me it is not on their system yet... and its a 30 mile round trip to get there. Doh! Think I'll just order the amazon.de version instead. :0)

I actually did just that and ordered my copy from amazon.de, as I also wanted two other steelbooks released around the same which are not scheduled for release in the UK but are available in Germany ("Noah" & "Sabotage"). The price of Eur 21.99 is only about 60p higher than what HMV is charging (£16.99 according to those here who have pre-ordered it) and Amazon's European sites offer flat rate shipping, irrespective of the quantity ordered. The clincher is that the German release is confirmed to be a 2 blu-ray disc set. The German site zehnachtzig.de confirms the second disc to contain bonus features. As yet, there is no information as to how many discs the UK set will contain.

All steels in HMV Livingston £23.99 except No Limits £24.99 next to an amary edition at £12.99 bloody ridiculous, did they not learn anything last time about pricing themselves out of the market

Most of the steels in the Milton Keynes HMV were 19.99. Bit more than play.com or base.com, but not too bad. HMV Stevenage has next to no steelys at all. I try to avoid this shop now as I can never find what I want :0)

Hi folks, this is gonna show how out of touch I've become over the last 6-9 months with Steelbooks (cos I'm moving and a couple of really sh**ty experiences have caused countless delays) this has been touched on above. Today I popped into my local HMV (and fortunately where I'm going has one as well). If folks weren't aware they ONLY DISPLAY EMPTY BOXES on shelves.

I got talking to the manager there and now they have a few exclusives they take pre-orders at the desk which will be free of tags and still sealed. He said that upto 50% of their stock went walkies as they cannot put the red tags that Amarays have and those other tags weren't much good. Would imagine it'll be the same for boxsets too.

Hope this helps.
EDIT
Something I forgot to say is that should now be a country wide practise, as in the past HMV have been a bit ad hoc in their practises.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
I am not so happy about the website I mean the steelbooks prices are way over the top Leon steelbook £29.99?? It's £17.99 in my local one.

After so long you would think they would have some amazing deals to pull people in, nope the stuff is way overpriced just like old hmv :/

HMVShop.co.uk is a UK site, pretty sure its the UK site, maybe off linked from HMV Ireland, but why have 2separate addresses?

Happy to see the online store has made a return. They don't currently have the best selection or prices, but it's a start! Hopefully their upcoming exclusive steelbooks make an appearence on there soon. :D

This site has been up a while now and it is just another address owned by HMV Ireland. It isn't linked to UK stores and that is why they don't carry exclusive Steelbooks. For anyone who doubts this, the footer of the site states:
hmv name, design and related marks are registered. hmv Ireland Online Limited, registered in Ireland. No. 534703. Registered Office Greenhills Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24. © 2014 hmv