HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This really sucks and I hope they manage to get out from under it. If they close, it's another blow to the physical media market. Not to mention all the people out of work. HMV Hong Kong recently (and without warning) shut their doors forever too. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Although HMV don't ship to my country, I've been ordering all my UK special editions from them and having my orders forwarded. I have to make large orders to make it worth my while, but their packaging is so excellent, and their products seem to always be in decent nick in the warehouse, that everything I've bought from them has arrived in absolutely mint condition--even those John Carpenter digipacks that are fragile as hell. Their points/membership thing is great too. I decided that even if Amazon UK start shipping to Australia again, I'm would never use them again because I have HMV.

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
I posted my thoughts about this previously in a thread that's since been locked, so here it is again:

This really sucks and I hope they manage to get out from under it. If they close, it's another blow to the physical media market. Not to mention all the people out of work. HMV Hong Kong recently (and without warning) shut their doors forever too. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Although HMV don't ship to my country, I've been ordering all my UK special editions from them and having my orders forwarded. I have to make large orders to make it worth my while, but their packaging is so excellent, and their products seem to always be in decent nick in the warehouse, that everything I've bought from them has arrived in absolutely mint condition--even those John Carpenter digipacks that are fragile as hell. Their points/membership thing is great too. I decided that even if Amazon UK start shipping to Australia again, I'm would never use them again because I have HMV.

It is a huge shame but really it was only a matter of time. People are moving away from physical media and in fact physical stores all together, HMV never had a chance.

I am really gutted about this.
I have a HMV in the town where I live
It is the only reason I go into the town
Got to know the people in there a bit as I usually buy mostly from there
I hope they survive

Can't log in to the main website either, just keeps throwing up error messages.

I wonder will Zavvi pick up all the HMV exclusive steelbooks if a full shutter happens.

This happened last time, loyalty points will be either lost or suspended, they won’t give you items for free while they are in administration, they need cash! As for their exclusives, didn’t amazon end up with their exclusives last time? I seem to remember the skyfall steelbook going to amazon?

This has all happened very quickly, last time the staff seemed to know something was up, I was in HMV yesterday and didn’t get any impression that they knew anything was wrong.

Hopefully something can be done to save the brand, either further store closures (don’t they have around half the stores they had?) or going online only to save the costs of high street store and shopping centre rentals. I’d hate to see them vanish altogether.

This happened last time, loyalty points will be either lost or suspended, they won’t give you items for free while they are in administration, they need cash! As for their exclusives, didn’t amazon end up with their exclusives last time? I seem to remember the skyfall steelbook going to amazon?

This has all happened very quickly, last time the staff seemed to know something was up, I was in HMV yesterday and didn’t get any impression that they knew anything was wrong.

Hopefully something can be done to save the brand, either further store closures (don’t they have around half the stores they had?) or going online only to save the costs of high street store and shopping centre rentals. I’d hate to see them vanish altogether.

Do you know if they'll still accept Gift Vouchers? Was planning on going to HMV tomorrow to spend some I got over Christmas

I get that physical media sales are dropping, but personally the studios aren't helping themselves.

Overpriced 4K, dropping of 3D (which you can't get as easily on download or streaming) are certainly reducing my spending.

Music retailer HMV confirmed it has called in KPMG as administrators

It's likely they will go on-line only if they can salvage anything but it's possible that even won't happen

I expect their exclusives not released yet will be given to other retailers possibly Zavvi or Amazon