HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else outside the UK been charged for shipping of a replacement steelbook? I sent back 2 x Hunger Games and they refunded be the cost of the return shipping charges.

Now, they got the damaged steelbooks and shipped me out new ones. The did not charge me for the steelbooks, but charged me 4.50 GBP per steelbook to ship me new copies. WTH is that about? :wtf:

I received my Cabin in the Woods Steelbook today from HMV (UK). It took 13 days to arrive from the day it was first shipped.

The Steelbook came in a small cardboard box with no interior protection such as bubblewrap. There was wiggle room for the Steelbook to move around and it did as there is a loose disc and three small dents along one edge of the Steelbook:(. I will not be returning it as I do not want to be charged for shipping of a replacement like our friend roseart, and I will have to open it up anyway to replace the faulty disc when the other arrives from HMV.

However, I will not be placing another order with HMV until I am sure that the packaging has improved.

Something strange happened yesterday. HMV sent 3 Avengers in the boxes they normally shipped them in. Result= 3 perfect copies with zero dents or scratches.

Moral of the story people, HMV shipping in the boxes are the best way to ship steels

Something strange happened yesterday. HMV sent 3 Avengers in the boxes they normally shipped them in. Result= 3 perfect copies with zero dents or scratches.

Moral of the story people, HMV shipping in the boxes are the best way to ship steels
Well here's to hoping they continue using the boxes. Decided to keep my order of Wrath of the Titans with them to see how it goes.

First time buying from HMV and it'll probably be the last if it arrives damaged in a jiffy bag. :ohno:

I preordered the wrath of the titans steelbook. Price was 18 £, the new price is 16 £! My preorder price is still the old higher price! So, should i reorder or do they have a price guarantee like amazon, where u get the lowest price between order and release?

I preordered the wrath of the titans steelbook. Price was 18 £, the new price is 16 £! My preorder price is still the old higher price! So, should i reorder or do they have a price guarantee like amazon, where u get the lowest price between order and release?

The quickest way would be to re-order and cancel the original order to be on the safe side. :scat:

I received my Cabin in the Woods Steelbook today from HMV (UK). It took 13 days to arrive from the day it was first shipped.

The Steelbook came in a small cardboard box with no interior protection such as bubblewrap. There was wiggle room for the Steelbook to move around and it did as there is a loose disc and three small dents along one edge of the Steelbook:(. I will not be returning it as I do not want to be charged for shipping of a replacement like our friend roseart, and I will have to open it up anyway to replace the faulty disc when the other arrives from HMV.

However, I will not be placing another order with HMV until I am sure that the packaging has improved.

Sadly I don't think that's going to happen. It would very easy soultion too. Best envelope are the ones inside the Blufans bubble mailers or their "plain stock" fairly tight too both for Steel and then into box. Not a perfect solution by any means but the HMV boxes (with bubble) have been used widely in UK as a cheap but effective method, until of the advent of the
playlogo.jpg
box.

What makes me angry about HMV UK is that they don't remove the VAT for international customers (outside the EU)
Their website section on VAT for international customers seems to suggest that the price is "exclusive of VAT" and yet a UK customer will pay the exact same price shown and that price is clearly "inclusive of VAT"
That's the way I read it,unless someone can tell me I am wrong

I received 2 steels in a jiffy bag, and one in the regular small box lately. I never had any problems with the box hmv used all this time, but I'm certain that a damaged steel will arrive sooner or later using jiffy bags.

I'll drop them an email as well.

I just got a Rumblefish steelbook from HMV UK in a plastic bag, bent in half.

The second recent damaged steelbook from them. Earlier, I received a smashed Rampart steelbook, also in a plastic bag.

I cancelled several pre-orders, and sent them an email notifying them that I'll never buy anything from them again and ordered/preordered 15 steelbooks from Amazon UK.

HMV UK are idiots. :angry:

I just got a Rumblefish steelbook from HMV UK in a plastic bag, bent in half.

The second recent damaged steelbook from them. Earlier, I received a smashed Rampart steelbook, also in a plastic bag.

I cancelled several pre-orders, and sent them an email notifying them that I'll never buy anything from them again and ordered/preordered 15 steelbooks from Amazon UK.

HMV UK are idiots. :angry:

I may not agree fully as all of mine have been okay (just Avengers and C.I.T.W so far) I may feel differently when a damaged steel arrives. I do appreciate a good rant though so hat's off to you sir.

Any news on the Cabin in the Woods discs still waiting on mine :wtf:

I may not agree fully as all of mine have been okay (just Avengers and C.I.T.W so far) I may feel differently when a damaged steel arrives. I do appreciate a good rant though so hat's off to you sir.

Any news on the Cabin in the Woods discs still waiting on mine :wtf:

Still waiting on mine too, I don't think anyone has received them yet.

Who the hell is running this place? I am so baffled by their incompetence, I wish they would just close already. Exclusives will not save them.

I initially received 2 Hunger Games in the small box mailers. Both arrived dented and caved. They ask me to send back for replacements. I do and they refund me for the return shipping costs. They receive them and ship the replacements out but charge me for the shipping on both (2 x 4.5GBP). It takes over a week to get them to refund that. All is right in the world again and I just waited for the replacements to arrive.

Yesterday, I got the replacements. Since the SBs were damaged in the small boxes, then they must try a different mailing method to make sure they arrive in good shape. Bubble mailers! That makes sense, right? :wtf:

This should not be a stressful as it is. :(

CIMG2687s.jpg

CIMG2690s.jpg

CIMG2692s.jpg

CIMG2693s.jpg

CIMG2694s.jpg

CIMG2695s.jpg

CIMG2697s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tonybsg
This has certainly made me think twice about using them for pre orders post wise I think all collect in person only from now on never had a problem with play. Com and even ebayer seem to know more about packaging steelbooks than someone who is supposed to be a professional entertainment distributer!

I cancelled last week 2 orders from hmv. The dark knight rises and The amazing spiderman, just because of all the negative info about this reseller .... I'm not willing to take the risk of receiving a damaged steelbook ...

Hey has anyone had problems with their card on HMV. I'm trying to order Dark Shadows and when I type in my security code I get this message:

THERE WAS A PROBLEM VERIFYING YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS. PLEASE CHECK THE DETAILS AND TRY AGAIN OR TRY AN ALTERNATE PAYMENT METHOD. CODE:10001
IF YOU ARE STILL ENCOUNTERING PROBLEMS, PLEASE CONTACT THE SERVICE TEAM ON 0845 603 8576

I know the details are correct because when I check my account they are taking 0.01 from the card everytime I try.

Do I have to ring them?

It is a sign from the steelbook gods not to bother ordering from them. :hilarious: It is not worth the inevitable headache it would cause.

Yeah they have to be the worst site I've ever used. Takes ages to get anything, they don't bother sending dispatch emails and The Cabin in the Woods disc I still have not received.