Release date: December 8th, 2014
Purchase link: How to Train Your Dragon LIVE
Price:
£14.99

dragon.jpg

back.jpg

inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical zavvi they cannot just release a steel with all the facts they have you guessing all the time don't know what you goner get bit like maleficent. Look at HDzeta we know exactly what we was getting well in advance. I'm quite happy with my beautiful 1/4 slip so I'm not bothered if it is printed back or glossy.

Same cover will stick with my hdzeta thanks, it will be in another league compared to this. If only zavvi came up with a different steelie, then I might have been tempted, tho the price would need to come down too.

Really happy with this morning's announcements :) : two steelbooks long overdue are finally coming (How to Train your Dragon and Shrek) and one of a very promising film (The Guest will be a blind buy, given the praise).

Anyone who disparages the price of this Zavvi exclusive as too high (it will probably go down too, happens 99% of the time releases are announced with an odd price, and we all know that) while praising HDZeta's steelbook (priced at €60/£47/$73 (shipping included) and offering a lenticular card not attached to anything when the shrinkwrap is off - it's mind-boggling that no one is as bemused as me on that) will be laughed out of the thread by me.

Given its price, I never understood the appeal of the HDZeta release (other than for people who never open their steelbooks, and I do not understand these folks either), so I'm happy I held out to wait for a cheaper alternative (this thread opened roughly when the GB for the HDZeta version opened).

It will probably be around £17, or £19.99 is there's the pointless 3D disc (it was fine for that particular film in theaters but at home, come on, this gimmick was so worn out when it began). I have no doubt it will be without ratings logos and such (there aren't many Dreamworks steelbooks to compare it with, when you think about it).

The next logical steelbook releases for 2015 would be:
  1. How to Train your Dragon 2 (2014).
  2. Shrek 2 (2004).
  3. Shrek the Third (2007).
  4. Shrek Forever After (2010).
  5. Puss in Boots (2011).

Then the next step would be to release the Madagascar franchise in steelbooks:
  1. Madagascar (2005).
  2. Madagascar — Escape To Africa (2008).
  3. Madagascar — Europe's Most Wanted (2012).
  4. Penguins of Madagascar (in theaters in December).

And then there are those with perfectly fine steelbooks already so personally I wouldn't double-dip on the following but they would be likely candidates :
  1. Kung Fu Panda (2008) — BluFans (upcoming).
  2. Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) — BluFans (upcoming).
  3. The Croods (2013) — French lenticular.
  4. Turbo (2013) — French lenticular.

That leaves these standalone movies (I haven't seen most of them, reviews have been mixed for half of those — but Antz, Prince of Egypt, Monsters vs. Aliens and Megamind certainly deserve the steelbook treatment):

1. Antz (1998).
  2. The Prince of Egypt (1998).
  3. The Road to El Dorado (2000).
  4. Spirit — Stallion of the Cimarron (2002).
  5. Sinbad — Legend of the Seven Seas (2003).
  6. Shark Tale (2004).
  7. Over the Hedge (2006).
  8. Bee Movie (2007).
  9. Monsters vs. Aliens (2009).
  10. Megamind (2010).
  11. Rise of the Guardians (2012).
  12. Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014).

There are also the Aardman films distributed by Dreamworks (Chicken Run, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit, Flushed Away) that would be most welcome to join them :).

Hopefully when there are no more Dreamworks films left to put in steelbooks, Zavvi will resume its Disney collection by adding 7-8 important classics that are missing, and currently not in Blu-ray either (such as Sword in the Stone, Winnie the Pooh, Black Cauldron, Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company, Rescuers Down Under, Brother Bear, Princess and the Frog, and then obviously Big Hero 6).

Last edited:
Bland and boring artwork. Think ill just stick with my amaray for this. Bummer. Was hoping for something different than Zetas art.

I might consider getting this but will wait firstly to see what the price is when goes live as it could be just the usual place holder price

The print run also if its the usual then I will wait for the usual big price drop we see happening

The back artwork that's just the back of the jcard not the steelbook itself
Fox UK in recent months have started using full size jcard with their releases

I'm not in a hurry to get this and will pick this up in a few months at a decent price

I did not buy HDZeta's steel book. For those persons who have an issue with members of this forum criticizing the price, yes I know the price will likely come down but by how much? Why doesn't the manufacturer just state the real retail price in the first place? Why the vast difference between the stated price for Shrek and this?

At the end of the day I know I do not have to buy the Steelbook if I think it is too expensive, but I also see this forum as a place where I can express my opinion (sometimes to hopefully affect change). In this case I would like to purchase this Steelbook but I will not do it at the current price listed.

Reactions: gaeljet
I did not buy HDZeta's steel book. For those persons who have an issue with members of this forum criticizing the price, yes I know the price will likely come down but by how much? Why doesn't the manufacturer just state the real retail price in the first place? Why the vast difference between the stated price for Shrek and this?

At the end of the day I know I do not have to buy the Steelbook if I think it is too expensive, but I also see this forum as a place where I can express my opinion (sometimes to hopefully affect change). In this case I would like to purchase this Steelbook but I will not do it at the current price listed.
Because it always drops, it's nothing new but the threads still have the same whiny complaints.