Is there a way to safely remove dents?

Mar 12, 2010
I have a small dent in one of my SBs I'd like to try and repair. I found the thread on how to remove the innards, but not on how to remove dents. any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 2,884
Last edited by a moderator:
Did not have any luck, tried a few different pencils, But just because it did not work for me does not mean other people will have luck, Maybe depends on the kind of ding you have?

I've also had success using a hard surface, like a table. Then I place a very soft cloth in between the steelbook & table.

After removing the plastic / inside trays, I take a hard plastic spoon and gently press the spoon down on the inside of the steelbook to flatten out the defect.

It's not 100%, but it has made them less noticeable in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: goufcustom
Will try that. Nice to see you over here too. :thumbs:

You too, thanks. :)
I am seeing a lot of similar names over here. I had thought about joining for a long time, but when the other forum dropped Tapatalk, it was a no-brainer. Since then though, they're back on, but I am glad to be part of two great forums. :)

Although I have not tried it, I've heard using the round part of a spoon and pressing or rolling it from the inside works in some cases. Good luck.
Personaly in this cases i prefer to use the handle of a screwdriver (a rounded model) like this one:
tournevis_magnum_electricien_3,5x75.jpg

because a spoon is in metal while the screwdriver is made of plastic which is more malleable...
This kind of dent is easily fixable while the ones on borders or corners are quite impossible to fix...

Although I have not tried it, I've heard using the round part of a spoon and pressing or rolling it from the inside works in some cases. Good luck.

I have tried that countless times on minor dents. Just remove the plastic inner tray using an old credit card to pry it loose.

Removing Minor Dents And Fine Creases From Steelbooks™

If you receive Steelbooks™ with small dents and fine creases (such as under the Francais Incluis sticker on WB) you may wanna do what I do.
1) Remove the damaged panel (I'm assuming you already know how to do this. PM Me if you don't)
2) Using a soft lead pencil,GENTLY rub along the dent/ crease line with the leaded end. Check to make sure that you are not pressing too hard. Rub until dent disappears.
3) Wipe any lead away with soft lens cloth.
4) Replace panel.

Do NOT use hard lead pencils, Biro Pens or plastic to press out dents. Soft lead with crumble as opposed to scratch.
I have done this to ALL my dented or creased Steelbooks™ and I can honestly say that it has made them either look immaculate or at the very least improved it.

PM me if you have any questions/ suggestions. Maybe you know of an alternative for removing dents/ creases. I know EVERYONE here will be very interested to hear from you.

Steve

I read this and it doesnt make sense in my head...how does gently rubbing a dent in aluminum with a lead pencil fix anything? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm just trying to find something that actually removes dents.

I read this and it doesnt make sense in my head...how does gently rubbing a dent in aluminum with a lead pencil fix anything? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm just trying to find something that actually removes dents.
Steelbooks are actually made out of metal and not aluminium. The soft pencil allows you to push hard on the dented area without damaging it further. A wooden spoon can also be used.

Reactions: JCC
Steelbooks are actually made out of metal and not aluminium. The soft pencil allows you to push hard on the dented area without damaging it further. A wooden spoon can also be used.

I think the "gently" threw me off. Thanks for the reply. I'll try a wooden spoon. Quite excited to see how effective it is!

Reactions: Sigill
I found removing the plastic inner, then pushing on the dent very gently with a flat headed screw drivers works for alot of dents.