My wife* doesn't understand (*substitute wife with apropriate other if applicable)

Dec 17, 2010
South west england
I constantly struggle to justify my collection to my wife and this has been ongoing for some time (in fact since I started collecting full stop), I find myself regularly under valuing my purchases in order to prevent arguments and I often find myself not mentioning purchases at all.

I often have to get quite creative when called for, and this is mainly due to a large size parcel incoming or the delivery is due to arrive on a day when my wife will be home in the morning.

This is clearly a common theme amongst us here as I have seen it mentioned a lot, most recently this morning in a thread in the steelbook section. However women have been doing this to us for ages with clothes/make up/perfume etc.

I am just setting this thread up as a support group of you like, please feel free to share your confessions of concealing prices or steelbooks/box sets from the better half.

I have yet to be caught as wisely I still have my sole use bank account for my slush money that gets left over after bills/mortgage etc.

Please share and be unburdened, this thread is totally confidential (sort of).
;)

Last edited:
I think as long as the bills are paid, the cupboards full of food etc, then any pocket money is yours!

It might be a bit different if you already have other vices, such as booze, smoking, or going out twice a week with friends etc.

I know people that have a bottle of wine or 4 beers on an evening, 4 times a week. Or those that get a take out 3-4 times a week. That adds up.

I have found steel books VERY addictive, but enjoyable. Its good to have a hobby, as long as its under control!

There is no point trying to duck and dive your missus. As long as it makes you happy and you can afford them, go for it.

"The only 3 things I got in this world is my balls, my word and my steel books... and I don't break them for nobody!"

How I got round it with the hubby is Investment. He understands my mantra of Pre order first cancel later.

I also state that I am saving money in the first place by not going to see the film when it is first released.

Try talking to her. It could just be a simple man not understanding what female is saying like round here all he and the kids hear after a while is "BLAGH BLAGH BLAGH"

I have just bought myself a Nerf 2x4 Rough Cut shotgun to shoot him when he annoyes me too much :D. Try doing something stupid to stop the conflict in the first place.

Not all of us girls are the same try and find her inner bloke it will be thire hiding somewhere. My husband could do with finding my inner girley most of the time I drive him nuts with the love of film.

I have the same problem the wife thinks I am spending money for the sake of it especially when I don't open them :D

As long as you're not hurtin' for cash, you're not hurtin' anybody by collecting SteelBooks. You only live once, so enjoy it in this little way. They finally invented something that I like to collect!

My gf doesn't mind, she thinks it's cute. And I've ordered stuff for her before. The Little Mermaid is for her.

When I was on the fence about buying Black Swan, without telling her about it, she happened to mention it the day I removed it from my Zavvi basket. Needless to say I now own it.

I think she understands my love of steelbooks though because of Thor. She thinks it's sexy. And it is.

I honestly don't get these situations when I read about. Every time is the same thing: wife, family or friends that don't support the collectors.
Well, first of all: if you're using YOUR money to buy the stuff you're entitled to do whatever the **** you want with it since you've worked your ass out for it.
Also, I guess buying BDs and collectibles should be seeing as a nice and healthy thing to do, considering you could be spending with alcohol, drugs or any other bad thing.
Anyways, I have full support from everyone, specially from my fiancee which makes me glad to have chosen a geek/nerd to be my life partner!
:)

Reactions: WKRP and cyberef
My post still goes to my Mum & Dads as there always in! so I sometime reveal them or just fire them into the mancave ;)

I tell her about the Disney ones as she may think I'll watch that lol

My girlfriend of 7 years kept asking me, why am I buying so many steelbooks just to put them on a shelf and let them collect dust. 90% of them are still factory sealed and a lot of them were OMG I need to keep up with all the other ninjas. Which she made me realize that was stupid to do! Seriously why am I paying $50-$85 on a movie I don't even like? Just because its a steelbook?!! so we agreed that I would only buy movies that are good. So after 6 months of doing this I cant tell you how much money I have saved!! Now when I see people post pictures of the steels they bought .. I hear a voice in the back of my head saying ( Really? do you even like that movie? ) and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this. So when your wife or girlfriend says something, you should step back and ask yourself ( do I really need to spend $50 on a movie I don't even like? ) and for the comment about dumping the wife.. unless you want to live at your parents house with 500 steelbooks and a FATHEAD of Darth Vador on your wall? I would choose a wife or girlfriend any day! Thanks for reading my reply guys :)

My girlfriend of 7 years kept asking me, why am I buying so many steelbooks just to put them on a shelf and let them collect dust. 90% of them are still factory sealed and a lot of them were OMG I need to keep up with all the other ninjas. Which she made me realize that was stupid to do! Seriously why am I paying $50-$85 on a movie I don't even like? Just because its a steelbook?!! so we agreed that I would only buy movies that are good. So after 6 months of doing this I cant tell you how much money I have saved!! Now when I see people post pictures of the steels they bought .. I hear a voice in the back of my head saying ( Really? do you even like that movie? ) and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this. So when your wife or girlfriend says something, you should step back and ask yourself ( do I really need to spend $50 on a movie I don't even like? ) and for the comment about dumping the wife.. unless you want to live at your parents house with 500 steelbooks and a FATHEAD of Darth Vador on your wall? I would choose a wife or girlfriend any day! Thanks for reading my reply guys :)

who's Darth Vador?

but seriouesly, well said. definitely agree. I try to keep my purchases to stuff I'll actually watch and enjoy instead of how popular it is.

Some people collect expensive art pieces. That's all that sealed steelbooks are; art. Some people can afford the habit of catching them all :p but not all of us. For most of us it's much more manageable to only buy the ones we want to watch and open and enjoy. To some people, it's just as nice to look at the sexy steel with all the stickers and shrink wrap and sexy Japanese slip :drool:

Everyone's different with different tastes and jobs and incomes. It's important to keep perspective about which category you fit into or else things can get out of hand quickly.

Some people collect expensive art pieces. That's all that sealed steelbooks are; art. Some people can afford the habit of catching them all :p but not all of us. For most of us it's much more manageable to only buy the ones we want to watch and open and enjoy. To some people, it's just as nice to look at the sexy steel with all the stickers and shrink wrap and sexy Japanese slip :drool:

Everyone's different with different tastes and jobs and incomes. It's important to keep perspective about which category you fit into or else things can get out of hand quickly.

My reply wasn't about income and how much money I'm able to spend.. Its about buying steelbook just because and being an adult about things when you have a female half showing some concern. Yes I get it! were all big boys and whatever I do with my money is my business and your a woman so shut up! (WRONG approach by the way) I understand the art looks sweet and you might pull it out once in a while and stare at it. After all its still only a movie! I'll admit I was really bad.. buying the crack steelbooks from walmart just because I had the bug.. but seriously why? I don't even like half the movies I own, but I bought it cause it was next cool thing to show everyone on HDN. My point is.. if your wife or girlfriend wants you to stop living your life like Sméagol, listen to her and compromise so you both can be happy. I only buy good movies now and my crappy steels are put away. If I offended anyone in here, I'm sorry! maybe you can stare at your $115 Les Misérables because it was made in Japan and it makes you feel better :p

Last edited:
Guess I am lucky at the moment - I have an understanding partner, and the only thing she worries about is space

I have disk deliveries at least 3 days of every week, but because we are in between houses staying in a 2 bedroom place space is a real issue.

In fact they are stored in fruit boxes !!! :(

So with a house this big there is no point in keeping anything a secret :D

The other amazing thing is that she hates spending money on herself i.e. thinks new clothes and shoes are a waste, eating out is too expensive and cars should only be purchased if you can pay cash for them. She would rather invest any spare money or put this "pin" money towards the mortgage

This is where my "logic" comes in.
"I could be spending money on booze, cigs, gambling or girls" I tell her. "Instead I buy disks which I can resell on eBay if I have to, so really my hobby is also an investment"
Case closed

Reactions: dfoles and rodtp