My wife* doesn't understand (*substitute wife with apropriate other if applicable)

Dec 17, 2010
South west england
I constantly struggle to justify my collection to my wife and this has been ongoing for some time (in fact since I started collecting full stop), I find myself regularly under valuing my purchases in order to prevent arguments and I often find myself not mentioning purchases at all.

I often have to get quite creative when called for, and this is mainly due to a large size parcel incoming or the delivery is due to arrive on a day when my wife will be home in the morning.

This is clearly a common theme amongst us here as I have seen it mentioned a lot, most recently this morning in a thread in the steelbook section. However women have been doing this to us for ages with clothes/make up/perfume etc.

I am just setting this thread up as a support group of you like, please feel free to share your confessions of concealing prices or steelbooks/box sets from the better half.

I have yet to be caught as wisely I still have my sole use bank account for my slush money that gets left over after bills/mortgage etc.

Please share and be unburdened, this thread is totally confidential (sort of).
;)

Last edited:
:):) Got to say I enjoyed reading your post. So much in fact, that I read it to my wife. While I understand totally what you are saying, you may not be giving your wife enough credit. My life experience has taught me you can be "caught" anytime she thinks its appropriate. ;)

Sent Via BatMail

Reactions: Orekul
I'm pretty sure some friends of mine don't understand what is collecting at all. And this has happened to ex-girlfriends of mine, too. That's why they're ex now LOL. Just kidding. But I wouldn't get rid of my collection just because she wants to, or because it annoys her somehow. I'd sell it only if a major issue appeared, like health or something.

:):) Got to say I enjoyed reading your post. So much in fact, that I read it to my wife. While I understand totally what you are saying, you may not be giving your wife enough credit. My life experience has taught me you can be "caught" anytime she thinks its appropriate. ;)

Sent Via BatMail

My wife is amazing in every way and I'm a very lucky man, however I just don't think she understands. It's the fact that I don't open the steels and leave them all sealed, I buy amarays to watch the movies and have over 350 steels.

I do often buy spares to trade later, that's the ones I sell if I don't trade . That and the amarays.

I also buy the limited edition boxsets, they're impossible to hide and I usually prepare a good time to mention it. That's usually when the kids are keeping us busy or if she mentions watching a particular movie.

I know I'm not the only one, at least I hope not:eek:

You aren't alone fella, as i've said previously:

Be warned: You'll be creating new skills/habits because of this site, such as:

Money Laundering (to hide bonuses from wife/partner)
House Keeping (clearing out draws to hide those extra SB's you shouldn't have bought)
Creative Excuses (Look wife, I've won yet ANOTHER steelbook!)
F5 (that lonely looking button does have it's uses, my god you'll use it here)
Tactical Positioning (making your steelbook collection look like its never grown, even though you've added 150 since you've joined the site)
Gollum Syndrome (My precious, I need it, I want it!)
Insomnia (Now dreading to miss out on new releases/deals so you stay up 24/7)
OCD (Just accept the fact you WILL become obsessive at some point, hopefully its just a phase)
Secret Showoff (You will feel the NEED to show off your precious steelbooks)
DIY (we were all rubbish at DIY until we joined here, then we realised we had to build new shelves to display the steelbooks!)
Slipcase Fiend (Slipcases are the devil, stay clear, otherwise your bank balance will suffer)
DELIVERY!! (You'll never say 'thanks' and 'sorry' so much in one conversation whilst avoiding eye contact with your postman)

And plenty more that I haven't mentioned... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

My wife is pretty good but it doesn't mean i 'own up' on EVERY box i bring home or get delivered :p I tend to put them to the side and say i'll open them later...basically when she's gone to bed :D The only time i really show her certain digibooks/steelbooks is when its a film i know she'll like :D

David

Last edited:
You aren't alone fella, as i've said previously:

Be warned: You'll be creating new skills/habits because of this site, such as:

Money Laundering (to hide bonuses from wife/partner)
House Keeping (clearing out draws to hide those extra SB's you shouldn't have bought)
Creative Excuses (Look wife, I've won yet ANOTHER steelbook!)
F5 (that lonely looking button does have it's uses, my god you'll use it here)
Tactical Positioning (making your steelbook collection look like its never grown, even though you've added 150 since you've joined the site)
Gollum Syndrome (My precious, I need it, I want it!)
Insomnia (Now dreading to miss out on new releases/deals so you stay up 24/7)
OCD (Just accept the fact you WILL become obsessive at some point, hopefully its just a phase)
Secret Showoff (You will feel the NEED to show off your precious steelbooks)
DIY (we were all rubbish at DIY until we joined here, then we realised we had to build new shelves to display the steelbooks!)
Slipcase Fiend (Slipcases are the devil, stay clear, otherwise your bank balance will suffer)
DELIVERY!! (You'll never say 'thanks' and 'sorry' so much in one conversation whilst avoiding eye contact with your postman)

And plenty more that I haven't mentioned... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

My wife is pretty good but it doesn't mean i 'own up' on EVERY box i bring home or get delivered :p I tend to put them to the side and say i'll open them later...basically when she's gone to bed :D The only time i really show her certain digibooks/steelbooks is when its a film i know she'll like :D

David

Great post, sums it up perfectly.

Reactions: himanshu
I'm single therefore don't really have this issue. But I used to get suff sent to my parents house sometimes.

They know all about my habit (I'm pretty much cured now), but they've always known. I've always presented it as an investment. Although I did open quite a few I also bought some more rare ones. Well, every time I'd sell one I'd make sure to tell them how much of a profit I made. I think those days are kind of gone though. Luckily most of my rare ones are gone and I've moved on to slips and some special editions. It's much easier on the wallet!

Good luck. I really think you can't go wrong with honesty. Men need a hobby sometimes and I hope she'd understand.

My girlfriend gets pissed now. She's like "I don't buy anything and it feels like ur showing off." Lol Now I try not to tell her and f I get one in the mail I try to just open it and put it straight on the shelf hoping she won't notice. :) She usually always gets home from work before me tho so she knows if something came in. But sometimes I get stuff delivered to my Grandpas or parents house.

Reactions: WKRP
Just as BluRayJunkie...you can get caught every time is she decides to, that´s the scary truth. On the other hand I`m quite open with my addiction and have been since we met. My wife isn`t too bad herself I find clothes, shoes, handbags, lamps, pots all over the place so I guess it´s a draw. I have my "little boysroom" according to her, but I prefer to call i mancave. There I have all my movie stuff such as steelbooks, limited editions etc together with my comic collection. When friends are over for the first time there´s always a debate before if they should see the mancave or not...she thinks some people might think I am wierd. What´s wrong with a zombie head with a screwdriver through a eye?

Well, well...as long as you respect her and her interests she should respect yours.

Just firing up a bbq, having some friends over in a while...these ones are apparently ok according to the dragon lady!

First of all, this post isn't written to "offend" anyone. You're setting this thread up as a support group - and i do believe criticism, albeit constructive, is a big part of what goes on at these support groups. So, this is my constructive criticism, for you.

I disagree with this entire post, but the bold text in particular irks me the most. Sure, some women buy these things in "excess" but let's not forget that it's US they buy it for. Women are women, women are beautiful and feminine. Women love to look good, smell good, feel good and make their men feel good. A wife loves to be told that she's beautiful, and clothes / make-up / perfume are (to them) a big part of that. Now, i personally don't like a lot of make up or perfume, and my wife knows this, but the clothes she buys...are definitely bought with a "Would he like this on me?" consideration on her mind - and i do believe that goes for most women in a loving relationship. So, if you want to compare our steelbook habits with something women do - this kind of stuff isn't it.

My wife is hot as hell, and she's a gamer / film buff but she doesn't see anything "special" in steelbooks, either. She does know I love them, and she doesn't complain. If she did complain, i would accommodate to a certain level, within reason. That level ends where (potentially) unreasonable behavior comes into the equation. Communication is key. Without communication, there might as well be nothing, at all. I made it a point never to hide anything from her, and i never will.

No matter how "great" that shallow, surface-level gratification feels when you open that box, at the end of the day...it's just not worth it. Imagine how she feels if she finds out. Imagine how she feels if she already knows what you're doing, but she's patiently waiting for you to stop. I'm amazed at the sense of accomplishment i get from certain things you wrote, about being successful in hiding things, and lying to your wife. I'm sorry, man...that just doesn't sit right with me, at all. A man who brings in money to support his wife and their life, shouldn't have to be secretive about a steelbook collection. Just like woman who brings in money to pull her share of the burden, shouldn't have to be secretive about her hobbies, or purchasing things she likes just for herself. That said, I think if you feel you need to sneak around your own house, be a ninja with your finances and lie to the woman you married for the sake of own well-being, you're in the wrong relationship, and steelbooks are the last thing you need to be worrying about.

I constantly struggle to justify my collection to my wife and this has been ongoing for some time (in fact since I started collecting full stop), I find myself regularly under valuing my purchases in order to prevent arguments and I often find myself not mentioning purchases at all.

I often have to get quite creative when called for, and this is mainly due to a large size parcel incoming or the delivery is due to arrive on a day when my wife will be home in the morning.

This is clearly a common theme amongst us here as I have seen it mentioned a lot, most recently this morning in a thread in the steelbook section. However women have been doing this to us for ages with clothes/make up/perfume etc.

I am just setting this thread up as a support group of you like, please feel free to share your confessions of concealing prices or steelbooks/box sets from the better half.

I have yet to be caught as wisely I still have my sole use bank account for my slush money that gets left over after bills/mortgage etc.

Please share and be unburdened, this thread is totally confidential (sort of).
;)

Reactions: Genocide and WKRP
this kind of thing does bug me BIG time lol, if you earn your money and pay the bills then its up to YOU what you spend it on. I have never understood guys hiding things from there partners/ wives as its pretty damn sad. As long as i pay my bills i spend whatever i want on whatever i want. Like stated already women spend a **** load of cash on handbags and shoes but thats ok as they will use those items once a year lol. So i say grow a set of balls and buy what you want as long as you can afford too, the day any partner of mine complains about me buying a steelbook/game/ blu ray ect will be shown the door pretty damn fast.:thumbs:

Another Great thread :)

Seeing some comments have made me laugh :)

As someone else stated you can never hide anything from the wifes or G/F's they always find out , my wife just has browse through the on-line banking just to check all the paypals going in and out , zavvis and the stuff from other steelbook suppliers ..
When i trade a steelbook i always get the comments MMM how much did that steelbook cost and your not getting the same in return blah blah blah ..
But on the other foot i wouldn't have as many steelbooks as i have now without the wife because it's better when there are 2 wages coming in instead of just 1 ..
The wife pays all the bills i spend all mine on steelbooks and i buy her flowers to make up for it .. just kidding ..