Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Thats a dangerous question to ask in a place like this. Like asking who is the best superhero in a comic book shop
That's exactly why I'm asking it, I'm always put in a dilemma whether to open it and enjoy everything that has to offer. On the other hand leaving it sealed allows for it to look more complete in my opinion. I first thought this hobby was a "phase" but as my collection beings to grow I'm starting to think opening some of them isn't a bad idea.

That's exactly why I'm asking it, I'm always put in a dilemma whether to open it and enjoy everything that has to offer. On the other hand leaving it sealed allows for it to look more complete in my opinion. I first thought this hobby was a "phase" but as my collection beings to grow I'm starting to think opening some of them isn't a bad idea.
You'll find people who will make the argument both ways. It's all in who you talk too....me personally tho I open all my steelbooks

Full slips are meant to be opened imo. Even more so with steelbook central releasing their cases that will fully protect a full slip.

I open all my steels, I plan on getting full slip nova, modo and hopefully securing a copy of hmv drive (sealed which I will probably not open, haven't decided yet)

Reactions: Prazzers
#1) What is the point if you can't enjoy the product?
#2) Ask the guy who has FANTASIA first issue, mint unopened, VHS in original Clamshell case how collectiblity value worked out for him.:(!! Odds are in 10 years our steelbooks will only mean something to us (which is all that matters). ;):)

Reactions: Paperinukke and UZO
I open most of my steelbooks. Currently the only steelbooks I left sealed are Jack Reacher Blufans (Have no interest in the movie or steel, just got a great deal on it), and my two CA Novamedia Exclusives because I am not interested in the booklet and I really like the sticker. I may open them up down the road though

I'm torn on this because I'm new to steelbook collecting, so I might already own a previous blu-ray version that is open. So for those I would keep sealed, but for newer titles like guardians of the galaxy, sin city 2, or hercules I will open cause that is the only copy i own.

Here are 3 reasons for me

I like to have 1 to open 1 to keep sealed.

Also I'm sure this title will sell out so I don't want to take the chance to have zavvi deliver one with dents (has already happened twice) and not be able to get a replacement without paying more on ebay

Lastly I order 2 of all the big titles from Disney/Pixar/Marvel (when I have the money available), they tend to have trade value.