Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Personally, I see anything that has been opened as second hand
Second hand, by its very definition is "not new; having been used in the past by someone else", therefore if it has never been owned/used by someone else it can't be second hand.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/second-hand_2

If you buy something new and open it yourself, it's new and unsealed, or potentially used (assuming you make use of it after).

If you buy a shirt, open the packaging and wear it, it's used - it's not second hand unless transferred to another owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfoles
I started collecting comics and thoose standards are set when it comes to mint etc. This is not the case with steelbooks so i have adjusted. Opened and mint was a bit strange to get used to :)

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk

Again it's all down to subjective definitions. At this point no-one is right and no-one is wrong, as long as all opinions are respected

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Perhaps HDN could take the lead in setting the standards.

A series of polls to decide definitions which could then be used as reference points

Reactions: jayce20 and dfoles
I purchased a "new" steelbook off eBay once, according to the description it was "brand new" and hardly watched. Came unsealed of course, that is deemed second hand by any definition of the word!

If it's sealed, it's brand new but not necessarily mint!
If it's unsealed, regardless of or not you played the disc, it exits "new" territory and becomes "Like New".

How hard is that to muster? :wtf:

I don't have a concrete answer to the question in the thread. I have some steelbooks sealed and some open, if one day by chance I fancy watching the film I might open it and put it back in the plastic sleeve. I usually sell the amaray after acquiring the steelbook (for pennies at CeX :() unless it's a different disc, remastered with different special features etc.

Reactions: MrBMT and dfoles
So what if a steelbook is free of paint chips/defects and scratches but have misaligned embossing? Many would still list this as 'excellent' or 'mint'. In many cases I'd prefer a few paint chips over misaligned artwork.

So what if a steelbook is free of paint chips/defects and scratches but have misaligned embossing? Many would still list this as 'excellent' or 'mint'. In many cases I'd prefer a few paint chips over misaligned artwork.

I don't think misaligned embossing counts as damage to the steelbook itself, it's a manufacturing defect and it was out of the hands of the owner of the steelbook so I would still deem it "mint". But that's just me.

Reactions: psychoscot
I say BOTH!!!!

My philosophy on this subject is: Open & Enjoy, but I also have a sealed-OCD-mint collection for SPARES, & multiple copies of the Same Title and/or edition.

My definition & terms for Mint Condition.

There's:

*Sealed-OCD-Mint

*Open-Truly Mint

THEN there is everything else: ranging from "flawless but a tear in the shrink wrap" or "sealed with minor paint chips" - but Those are a LAST RESORT, and I can CARE LESS about all that (or care more, but lets not fuss about that) :box:

I really have no interest in damaged steels unless its some sort of Grail.

If I receive damaged steel, it's all bad :violent:

Last edited:
I don't think misaligned embossing counts as damage to the steelbook itself, it's a manufacturing defect and it was out of the hands of the owner of the steelbook so I would still deem it "mint". But that's just me.

I agree that it's a defect, not a damage. Still. if the misalignment was significant I would definitely not sell it off as 'mint'. Not without mentioning the defect. And look at the Asian Lion King Steels. I lot of people held off buying it because of that random spine defect.

Reactions: blu-steel
I agree I have multiple copies of the same and different country that I am intersted in. It really depends on the release itself(how much I love it) I rarely buy because I think it will become Grail or something that will be sought after.

I bought many country of Jack Ryan and had no choice but to open the Korean one that I got from k-Steelbook. There was a discolouration the size of a quarter under Jack's Chin and it was bugging me so much as the steel is so black, dense black, that you can see it easily. Should this still count as OCD Mint ? I don't believe so as it's a manufacture defect. I had no choice but to open the Korean one which I had no intention to. K-Steel apologized for the situation and said they would replace it and pay for the return of the defective one back to them and when it came time to do the exchange they stopped responding to my emails. Worse Customer Service ever.

Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I open them :) , but I do open tham if I watch thrm, and sometimes that can take a year or something, because i have to many movies in my collection I still need to watch xd

I've been collecting for only a few months but my collection has already reached around 50. Until now, I have kept them all sealed, but as I don't collect them as an investment, I've decided to open them all!

I'm just waiting for my Steelbook sleeves to arrive then I'm going to open them all up and appreciate everything that's been hidden so far. I'm excited to actually be able to watch them!

It feels liberating.

:scat:

As a movie fan I like to open my steels but when I get a rare sealed steel I just can't bring myself to opening I have the 2 play Iron Man steels and a few Blufans releases still sealed I'm dying to rip them open but I guess the thought of devaluing them looms over me
Personally I much prefer buying steels open getting them abit cheaper and taking away the dilemma

If you want to collect Bluray from all over the world, you'll need a multizone Bluray player (got one in my computer)
Even if the large majority of bluray are region free, there are still a few which are not ^^

Reactions: lolwut
If you want to collect Bluray from all over the world, you'll need a multizone Bluray player (got one in my computer)
Even if the large majority of bluray are region free, there are still a few which are not ^^

Oh don't get me wrong, I CAN play all regions through my PC which is hooked up to my TV, but I'd rather use my actual blu-ray player. It heats the room up less...lol

While true. Usually you can buy the standard amaray for little to nothing. I look at it that way when deciding to open. If the regular release is going to cost less than the difference of opening vs not opening. I did open many of my steels, but never the premium releases.

While I see your point (seriously, put it away), I don't want to have more than one copy of the same film. I ONLY ever buy a single edition of a film for my collection, the one I like most and if it's going into my collection, it's because it's a film I like and will watch. Having more than one copy, even if it's one to watch and one to keep peachy, seems totally redundant to me. Plus, my open copies are generally in better condition than most people's sealed ones.

Reactions: hayemaker