USA
Release date: May 16th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

1.jpg

11274755-7874384791964368.jpg
11274755-2224384791941853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame the artwork is pants. Why couldn't they have used the proper artwork for the film. Shame I would have purchased it like a shot.... Guess they just don't want people buying the steelbook. Seriously did a 3 year old design that one!. Why didn't they use this artwork or some variant.

View attachment 236116

What are you talking about?! I'm one of the biggest critics of the pretentious pop-art designs that DO look like they were done by a 3 year old - but this is nothing like that. THIS is how to do an artistic design - bold, detailed, attractive images with no gimmicky title text merged into the art.

Sorry bud, but whoever did this has talent.

Sorry have to totally disagree. Fans want the artwork that was used on the film. That artwork tells you nothing about the film and the images don't even look like the cast members. Who's the girl supposed to be. It sure as hell isn't Barbara Shelly and if that's meant to be Andrew kerr it looks more like James Robertson Justice. Is that Hitler on the back cover?. I will bet you right now fans of the film are making their feelings felt to Zavvi just how dire it is. I won't be buying it and I can bet you right now loads of fans of the film will be thinking the same as me..... File under "Wait for a proper steelbook" I showed that link to a few mates who love the film and they just went "barf"

I'm in, a genuinely much loved sci-fi classic that deserves all the premium treatment it can get, and it will look great alongside the Forbidden Planet steel. Plus I agree with those who are commending this art, the Pop Art style steels have been pretty hit and miss but I'm actually kind of diggin' this artwork. The colours look great!

And if were talking about sci-fi classics, even though I know its highly unlikely I'd love to see one of my favourite sci-fi classics; 1954's "THEM!" get the steelbook treatment. I first saw that film on TV when I was about six years old and it has occupied a very special place in my heart ever since. Really fun and actually kind of creepy when I think back on it. Plus its giant ants, and who doesn't love giant ants?

Not heard of this one... artwork looks cool though!
This movie ROCKS!!
Loved it since I was a kid!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
I hope its not too late to adjust the artwork. (How about Quatermass and The Pit poster on the front, and Five Million Years To Earth poster on the back?)
(Five Million Years to Earth was the U.S. title)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
If you go to Zavvi and type in "limited to 2000 Copies" and see all the titles (a lot!) that are still there, this just screams "wait for the price drop, or you are a sucker"...

Reactions: Noodles
Yes, absolutely, and good to see another from the Studio Canal Dated Spine Collection (which includes such classic films as THE LADY KILLERS, THE THIRD MAN, AN INSPECTOR CALLS, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT,THE CAPTIVE HEART, WENT THE DAY WELL?, THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE, SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS and the unforgettable DEAD OF NIGHT).

Great artwork for this re-package, although personally I'm quite happy with my 2011 2 disc Amaray (1 BD, 1 DVD) with slipcover designed by Brit artist Olly Moss.

Will buy this at some point in the future as it's an excellent package if it's the same as in the original release Amaray, and there's no reason to suppose it's won't be, with its decent array of Extras including:
- COMMENTARY from Roy Ward Baker (director) and Nigel Kneale (script writer).
- INTERVIEWS - Judith Kerr for 17 mins, Joe Dante for 11 mins, Kim Newman for 29 mins, Julian Glover for 29 mins - the only star to be interviewed - Marcus Hearn for 12 mins (Hammer historian) and last but not least Mark Gatiss for 19 mins (fan) - all times approx.
- "THE WORLD OF HAMMER" for 24 mins narrated by Oliver Reed.
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER + ALTERNATE AMERICAN CREDITS (necessary because the title in The States for this was FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH) + ALTERNATE AMERICAN TRAILER for the aforementioned reason.

Unfortunately never watched the original 3 hour TV series on which this film is based but I did watch the late 1970s 4-part mini-series recently with Sir John Mills as Quatermass (released last year by Network) which I really can't recommend to a modern audience as it's just sooooo dated (IMO).

Regarding the 1967 film: it's perfectly fine but a few steps down from my personal favourite, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (THE CREEPING UNKNOWN title in The States) with the great movie "heavy" Brian Donlevy as Quatermass - love to have that on Blu-ray let alone in a steelbook!

Last edited:
I'm in, a genuinely much loved sci-fi classic that deserves all the premium treatment it can get, and it will look great alongside the Forbidden Planet steel. Plus I agree with those who are commending this art, the Pop Art style steels have been pretty hit and miss but I'm actually kind of diggin' this artwork. The colours look great!

And if were talking about sci-fi classics, even though I know its highly unlikely I'd love to see one of my favourite sci-fi classics; 1954's "THEM!" get the steelbook treatment. I first saw that film on TV when I was about six years old and it has occupied a very special place in my heart ever since. Really fun and actually kind of creepy when I think back on it. Plus its giant ants, and who doesn't love giant ants?

Yes, got to agree with you regarding THEM! which I've been considering as part of U.S. region free 4-film collection entitled SPECIAL EFFECTS COLLECTION which includes THE SON OF KONG, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS apart from THEM! - bit expensive for me at the moment at over 40 quid or over 50 quid direct from Amazon.US and not one of these four with a U.K. BD release :(
Personally speaking, the "ant film" that sticks in my mind from when I was young is THE NAKED JUNGLE (1954) with Charlton Heston which is unfortunately not available on Blu-ray anywhere at this time and as one of the Warner Brothers DVD Archive Collection I'd hope for a WBA Blu-ray to join my collection of WBA Blu-ray titles at some point in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely, and good to see another from the Studio Canal Dated Spine Collection (which includes such classic films as THE LADY KILLERS, THE THIRD MAN, AN INSPECTOR CALLS, KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT,THE CAPTIVE HEART, WENT THE DAY WELL?, THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE, SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS and the unforgettable DEAD OF NIGHT).

Great artwork for this re-package, although personally I'm quite happy with my 2011 2 disc Amaray (1 BD, 1 DVD) with slipcover designed by Brit artist Olly Moss.

Will buy this at some point in the future as it's an excellent package if it's the same as in the original release Amaray, and there's no reason to suppose it's won't be, with its decent array of Extras including:
- COMMENTARY from Roy Ward Baker (director) and Nigel Kneale (script writer).
- INTERVIEWS - Judith Kerr for 17 mins, Joe Dante for 11 mins, Kim Newman for 29 mins, Julian Glover for 29 mins - the only star to be interviewed - Marcus Hearn for 12 mins (Hammer historian) and last but not least Mark Gatiss for 19 mins (fan) - all times approx.
- "THE WORLD OF HAMMER" for 24 mins narrated by Oliver Reed.
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER + ALTERNATE AMERICAN CREDITS (necessary because the title in The States for this was FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH) + ALTERNATE AMERICAN TRAILER for the aforementioned reason.

Unfortunately never watched the original 3 hour TV series on which this film is based but I did watch the late 1970s 4-part mini-series recently with Sir John Mills as Quatermass (released last year by Network) which I really can't recommend to a modern audience as it's just sooooo dated (IMO).

Regarding the 1967 film: it's perfectly fine but a few steps down from my personal favourite, THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (THE CREEPING UNKNOWN title in The States) with the great movie "heavy" Brian Donlevy as Quatermass - love to have that on Blu-ray let alone in a steelbook!
Thanks for the info mate and the recommendation. Never seen Xperiment but will certainly be keeping my eye open for it now! :thumbs:

Reactions: virkia

Not exactly in the style of TYLER STOUT (RESERVOIR DOGS, WRATH OF KHAN, DRIVE, SHAUN OF THE DEAD etc.) - although there are certain similarities - and I quite like the look of this poster artwork by CHRIS SKINNER which is really quite different to his work for CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR which I feel could look very nice as a steelbook cover front and back . . .
Cf25CB2UYAA-Nmc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranavalone
I like to see lot more hammer films get steelbook releases

I have all Dvd and Blu-ray releases that have been already been released

I also have every hammer film even ones that not had a Dvd or Blu-ray release yet

On one of my external hard drives is video of every hammer film production both Film and TV productions
Some the video quality not the best but I have them all

I'm a massive fan of hammer horror

Reactions: C.C. 95