Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
47 METERS DOWN (2017)

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I feel like this film has received a lot of unwarranted flack. I wasn't expecting a lot when I watched the film. I figured that it was going to be a B-movie trying to get some quick cash off of the backend of THE SHALLOWS' successful run (it was supposed to go direct-to-video a year prior as IN THE DEEP, after all). That said, I know that Mandy Moore is a capable actress and I've truly enjoyed Claire Holt on both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, so I assumed that it wasn't going to be that bad.

And it wasn't. In fact, it was actually really, really good.

The chemistry between both Moore and Holt is great and it was a pleasant surprise to see Matthew Modine as the captain who takes them out cage diving. The pacing of the film was pretty great and the runtime was spot-on. The sharks look phenomenal! Truly, the visual effect masterminds behind this film deserve a round of applause because the Great Whites in 47 METERS DOWN are probably the best sharks I've ever seen on film.

For actual divers, I'm sure they'll despise this film as the science is probably way off. Even as a non-diver, I could tell that a little more research should've probably went into the film. There's a twist 3/4 through the film that may catch some people off guard, but I saw it coming (though that didn't really ruin the effect of it all for me).

47 METERS DOWN is more of a survival film with the occasional shark than a straight-up "the sharks are gonna getcha!" film. It's dark, lonely, empty... horrifying. Moore and Holt play the tension perfectly and in more occasions than once I felt like I was watching GRAVITY underwater.

I was originally going to give this film 3-1/2 Ninjas, but I decided to up it to 4 after I spent the majority of today still thinking about the film after watching it last night. If a film can linger in my mind like that, that's a very good thing. If you enjoy suspense/thrillers and/or shark films, ignore Rotten Tomatoes and make your own opinion by checking out this film. It's worth it alone for the stunning visual effects.

1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Dunkirk 1958

An excellent film depicting the fiasco that was Dunkirk. Haven't seen the recent one so I can't compare them but I suspect chalk and cheese will be the answer.
Excellent remastering by Studiocanal and I also suspect had it not been for the 2016 film it would have not got a release.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
A Ghost Story (2017)
View attachment 335125 View attachment 335125 View attachment 335124 View attachment 335124 View attachment 335124

I found this to be such a snoozefest... I don't even know what the point of it all was. I knew I was probably going to hate it when I was just a few minutes in, because the camera lingered for far too long on pretty much nothing... I almost turned it off during the scene where she's just sat eating a pie for 5 minutes straight! If they cut all the nonsense out this would literally be a 10 minute short film and it'd still probably bore me lol. I did like the music though... quite a lot actually. I immediately searched for this song once the film ended...

000 Ninja.png 0000 Ninja.png

I had high hopes for the film, love that it was different but after a while :sleep: ...had to lookup the ending to understand and still I have a hard time getting it, maybe I'm just stupid :dunno:(n)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and tridon
View attachment 336626 View attachment 336625

I had high hopes for the film, love that it was different but after a while :sleep: ...had to lookup the ending to understand and still I have a hard time getting it, maybe I'm just stupid :dunno:(n)
Haha well, I thought maybe I'd missed the point as well, but apparently there wasn't really any deep or clever meaning to it all, so that actually ended up being the main issue for me... it was too simple/straight forward and lacked anything interesting. Glad I'm not the only one who found it to be pretty tedious anyway. :yawn:

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
Haha well, I thought maybe I'd missed the point as well, but apparently there wasn't really any deep or clever meaning to it all, so that actually ended up being the main issue for me... it was too simple/straight forward and lacked anything interesting. Glad I'm not the only one who found it to be pretty tedious anyway. :yawn:

I was laughing when you wrote about the Pie, at first I thought it was clever when she was eating it on the table, just that in focus, but after she sat on the floor and continued for another 5 minutes I was ''Oh Gosh '' o_O ...yep all that you said I agree...Glad I'm not Stupid trying to find the deeper meaning :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I was laughing when you wrote about the Pie, at first I thought it was clever when she was eating it on the table, just that in focus, but after she sat on the floor and continued for another 5 minutes I was ''Oh Gosh '' o_O ...yep all that you said I agree...Glad I'm not Stupid trying to find the deeper meaning :rofl:
That's EXACTLY how the pie scene went for me too... it was weirdly engrossing to begin with, but several minutes later and I was hoping she'd just choke to death on the bloody thing. :bored::LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Alien Covenant 2016

Really enjoyed this film. Didn't know what to expect and I certainly didn't see the ending coming. Like the nods to both Alien and Aliens
I can see why some complained it was like watching rethreads of Alien and Aliens but the story I found enjoyable and a certain character
very very enjoyable.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
IMG_3448.PNG (2011) IMG_3445.GIF IMG_3445.GIF IMG_3445.GIF IMG_3446.GIF (Out of 5)
A slowburn to be sure, with terrific acting. I was surprised by how so many found the ending ambiguous- I found the ending completely clear. My only real beef was with the script setting up familiar conventions just so it could knock them down (with no real impact on the story except for deus ex machina drama for drama's sake: When we learn that his insurance will pay for the daughter's operation - our mental clock starts for the inevitable scene of him being fired and losing the insurance. Kind of a dusty, old chestnut of plot complication).
All in all, a well told tale - but it certainly could have been tightened with some editing of scenes that are a little flabby or extraneous.
I believe that people who think the film is a treatise on mental health literally fell for the Red Herring:
***SPOILERS***
The character chose TWO paths to deal with his visions:
Path #1 (Science)- was what a normal person would do. He questioned his mental health (especially because of his family history) and began to attack on that front by seeing a doctor and a therapist.
He ALSO took action on the other front-
Path #2 (Supernatural Belief)- which was to believe his visions and prepare (because of the "feeling" that it is real).

One of these will prove to be the truth.

Here is the fakeout:
When they emerge from the cellar, and it is NOT the end of the world, it would SEEM that Path #1 was correct (and indeed, he sees the doctor to plan for his treatment).
So they take a vaction before his treatment begins.
That is when it is revealed that Path #2 was CORRECT. The first storm was a red herring that made us believe that Path #2 was incorrect. (Indeed, obviously HE fell for it too - hence the vacation before treatment).
He was right from the beginning. The approaching Tsunami proves Path #2 to be the truth. They should have stayed in the shelter. But, instead, they get a front row seat to the end. (If you believe the premonition was the end of the world).

Last edited:
IMG_3457.GIF
IMG_3455.PNG
IMG_3455.PNG
IMG_3455.PNG
IMG_3464.PNG

(2015)
This is definitely a fun film. You can go ahead and add another Christmas Bell to the rating if you are on the wavelength of Joe Dante and the Spielberg Poltergeist-era vibe. (Throw in nods to Jaws, Tremors, Evil Dead 2 and A Christmas Carol as well - and I guess(?) Christmas Vacation).
The fact that Michael Dougherty made this for $15 Million Dollars (!) is incredible. It easily looks like twice that, or more. Kudos for the production design, practical effects, and the humor. This is a very funny film. And it nails the wintery setting. (All the more amazing since it was all shot on soundstages).
Somehow, it did not surprise me that (unbeknownst to me before watching it) Peter Jackson, Kate Walsh and Philipa Boyans had a hand in this movie.
(I knew WETA had done the effects, but not that the LOTR trio had shepherded this, in an unofficial fashion).
*There are two ways to read the ending - but apparently the comic adaption reveals the true ending...
They are NOT trapped in the globe. Krampus gave them a second chance, but is watching over them in case they screw up.
Also - apparently a lot of people didn't realize that Krampus is wearing a St. Nick mask. His real face is never seen.

Last edited: