Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3476.JPG
(2009) IMG_3481.GIF IMG_3481.GIF IMG_3481.GIF
Another Joe Dante-esque film...This time made by Joe Dante!
A fun, if flawed film. It certainly does not reach the heights of Gremlins, Innerspace, The 'Burbs or Twilight Zone...
But as you're watching the film, you are forgiving its flaws, because you say to yourself "Damn, I miss movies like this." These films just don't get made anymore. (But might again, due to the success of *Stranger Things). This is certainly reminiscent of early Dante. It is full of imagination minus the cynicism and sarcasm that winks at the audience in so many of today's films. I love how Dante trusts that youngsters can handle stuff that is just a bit more edgy than the standard family film.
Does this make the film more old fashioned and like an 80's throwback? Yeah - in the best possible way.
One wishes that the story was more up to the level of Dante's 80's films - but I think he had more constraints than those films did (budgetary and otherwise). But, there is a lot here that is worth seeing - if only to see Dante's usual visual tricks, cinephile in-jokes, and the always welcome Dick Miller cameo! (Also Bruce Dern!)
This was shot in Real 3D. Dante is huge cinephile (being the creator of Trailers from Hell) and has a lot of fun with the 3D, paying homage to 3D film techniques of old.
The cast is fine, and the pace is brisk. The dénouement is a bit of a standard choice - but once you get into the tail-end of the 3rd act - it is not such a huge issue since you are delighted by images not seen since Beetlejuice or Dante's Twilight Zone episode. Again - old school - but in the best way.
Your mileage may very - but, I for one - really do miss the films (like this) that were aimed at the 10 year old me by 1980's Spielberg and Dante: the ideas like "what if there was a hole to nowhere in the basement of your new house?" That stuff is just FUN. And it really doesn't get made anymore in a time when everyone is just too cynical for movies that contain innocent wonder.
Despite the flaws, I really enjoyed myself.
*While I had some issues with Stanger Things (the writing was very 'first-year film school') - it made me hope that these types of stories are making a comeback.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
@Noodles @tridon @AlienKing and to whomever likes a Good Drama Movie

This movie was well crafted and unfolded like a Story from a Book. I was certain it was one of those movies adapted from a Best Seller Book, but I was wrong and surprised that it wasn't :OMG:

The Metascore on imdb do not rate this movie well, but I would say disregard them :facepalm:
From the Start, the Opening Credits are Nicely and Artistically done. You can feel from the Start that someone cared enough to make the Opening Credit to fit the theme of the movie, very nice touch !

I do not want to give too much away, but if you are one to like a good movie I suggest for you to watch this one.
Right after I watched it, I placed an Order for the Amaray Edition to support the movie (and worth owning).

Great Cast for this Small Drama that has humour within it and some other elements…Do not read anything about it(or watch a trailer),
better to go with nothing to know about it, no expectations, and just take a chance on it. This movie has Heart !

Naomi Watts, Jaeden Lieberher(St. Vincent, Midnight Special), Jacob Tremblay(ROOM, Before I Wake), Sarah Silverman…

The Book of Henry
The Book of Henry.jpg

000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png 000 Ninja.png /5

This movie was well crafted and unfolded like a Story from a Book. I was certain it was one of those movies adapted from a Best Seller Book, but I was wrong and surprised that it wasn't :OMG:

The Metascore on imdb do not rate this movie well, but I would say disregard them :facepalm:
From the Start, the Opening Credits are Nicely and Artistically done. You can feel from the Start that someone cared enough to make the Opening Credit to fit the theme of the movie, very nice touch !

I do not want to give too much away, but if you are one to like a good movie I suggest for you to watch this one.
Right after I watched it, I placed an Order for the Amaray Edition to support the movie (and worth owning).

Great Cast for this Small Drama that has humour within it and some other elements…Do not read anything about it(or watch a trailer),
better to go with nothing to know about it, no expectations, and just take a chance on it. This movie has Heart !

Naomi Watts, Jaeden Lieberher(St. Vincent, Midnight Special), Jacob Tremblay(ROOM, Before I Wake), Sarah Silverman…

The Book of Henry
View attachment 336901

View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 /5
Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:

I don't think I've heard a single good thing about the film unfortunately, but I really liked the look of the trailer and have thoroughly enjoyed Trevorrow's previous works, so I definitely plan to check it out and judge for myself.

Will report back and share my thoughts once I've seen it. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus

The Book of Henry
View attachment 336901

View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 View attachment 336902 /5

Sounds very good! I'll have to add this to my watch list... for after October, of course. ;)

• Thanks
Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:

I don't think I've heard a single good thing about the film unfortunately, but I really liked the look of the trailer and have thoroughly enjoyed Trevorrow's previous works, so I definitely plan to check it out and judge for myself.

Will report back and share my thoughts once I've seen it. ;)

Sounds very good! I'll have to add this to my watch list... for after October, of course. ;)

I'd hate to Praise this movie so Highly just for you guys to be disappointed. This had been on my ''to watch'' list and it took me a while to get to it. I was certain it was gonna be boring. just hope you guys are not gonna be :mad: at me during the movie :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles

The Book of Henry
View attachment 336901

I watched this in the theatre buddy :joy: Loved it! :thumbs:

• Thanks
I'd hate to Praise this movie so Highly just for you guys to be disappointed. This had been on my ''to watch'' list and it took me a while to get to it. I was certain it was gonna be boring. just hope you guys are not gonna be :mad: at me during the movie :rofl:
Not at all dude! @Flloydo has recommended loads of crap films to me, yet I don't get mad at him for it. :p

• Thanks
Not at all dude! @Flloydo has recommended loads of crap films to me, yet I don't get mad at him for it. :p

:LOL:

Tbh I've wanted to see this for a while and I didn't realise it's Trevorrow. Love safety not guaranteed. 22% on RT don't sound good but that's never stopped me

Next batch of recommendations coming up soon mate :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
:LOL:

Tbh I've wanted to see this for a while and I didn't realise it's Trevorrow. Love safety not guaranteed. 22% on RT don't sound good but that's never stopped me

Next batch of recommendations coming up soon mate :p
SNG is brilliant! Wish he'd do another comedy like that to be honest.

I'll lower my expectations in preparation then. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Kingsman Golden Circle. Easily one of THE best sequels of all-time, STUNNING! Bigger, better, Funnier, violent, just as rude and vulgar and absolutely EPIC, and that cameo is just LEGEND and is still making me laugh hours later
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

• Thanks
Reactions: vexred