Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
Hound of the Baskervilles 1959
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Easily my favourite of all the Sherlock Holmes films ever made. Hammer take what is essentially a murder mystery and turn it into a gothic horror. The 1st Colour Sherlock Holmes film never sags and runs at a frantic pace actually improving upon the novel in some important aspects. Shame Hammer never did any more Holmes as the cast is top notch and makes a nice change of pace from the usual but enjoyable Hammer product.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
LOGAN (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I'll probably write a larger 'Final Thoughts' in the LOGAN thread at a later date, but after 24 hours, I'm still emotionally destroyed. What a beautiful, heartbreaking film. Amazing performances by everyone, a booming, excellent score by Marco Beltrami, gorgeous cinematography by John Mathieson -- all brought together and executed perfectly by James Mangold (I seriously have a newfound respect for that man as a filmmaker). I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being my 2017 Film of the Year.

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I can see why people who grew up with this film would love it, but as I'm just seeing it now for the first time, I found it to be overly cheesy and campy. It really did nothing for me and -- sorry -- I prefer the 2011 remake. That said, the practical effects were pretty damn awesome in this.

THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

A very unique, innovative spin on the zombie genre with a great score and good performances. I think it's definitely worth a viewing (especially since it stars the talented, beautiful Gemma Arterton).

I knew you'd like that one, bud. :thumbs:

Second time I've seen it and I enjoyed it even more! There's a version of the film without music in the special features, which makes the film weirder but also funnier... especially the end where everyone's just stood staring at a guy farting for a full 5 minutes. :LOL:

• Thanks
DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS 1965
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Love this film. The casting is superb. One of the best ever ensemble casts in a film and in my view the granddaddy of modern slasher movies..... Love the build up and when the terror begins it never lets up. Always love the scene when they are in the Castle having the meal and they toast Count Dracula and comment on what a wonderful person he must have been. Then all the lights dim and a light wind blows across the dinner table. If there was ever a better 'Time to get the hell out of here" moment in a film I've yet to see it........

He caught my attention years ago, when he played a very memorable role in a criminally underseen gem: Steven Soderbergh's KING OF THE HILL. Without question my favorite film of Soderbergh's. (His second).
I'll never forget that Laserdisc either. Soderbergh was so anal about making sure people watched his movie CORRECTLY, that it included calibration glasses and a section on how to calibrate the picture and the sound!!
If i was a director, i can see myself being anal about that too :LOL::cautious:

You should check out Houdini. It's a two-part miniseries. Adrian was good in it.

Second time I've seen it and I enjoyed it even more! There's a version of the film without music in the special features, which makes the film weirder but also funnier... especially the end where everyone's just stood staring at a guy farting for a full 5 minutes. :LOL:

:hilarious:

That sounds hilarious!

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
:hilarious:

That sounds hilarious!
The scenes that were very music driven were really funny without it. I certainly couldn't watch the entire film like that though... even the directors said in the commentary that's it's an awful film without the soundtrack, but hilarious at the same time. :rofl:

• Thanks
The scenes that were very music driven were really funny without it. I certainly couldn't watch the entire film like that though... even the directors said in the commentary that's it's an awful film without the soundtrack, but hilarious at the same time. :rofl:

Actually, the soundtrack is probably the thing that holds the film together and makes it so damn special. I'm sure it would be a pretty awful film without it.

If any of you have zero interest in watching Swiss Army Man, I highly recommend still checking out the film's music. It's truly a beautiful score. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
If i was a director, i can see myself being anal about that too :LOL::cautious:
Oh - I get it! When I had my first film score in a theater, I sat at the back of the house and manually tweaked the sound!
The sad truth is - most of the time people are not watching at home correctly. (Most people don't calibrate their TV for sound and picture). And the one that kills me - most people use the "vivid" setting that blows out the picture.
Rule of thumb: When you have a blank (black) screen (like before or after credits) - It should look like your TV is OFF. Blowing out black levels is usually the first thing people screw up.
oh - and Motion Smoothing on TVs should be outlawed by penalty of death. (It is creating frames that NEVER EXISTED. It is as much a crime as pan and scan)

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Actually, the soundtrack is probably the thing that holds the film together and makes it so damn special. I'm sure it would be a pretty awful film without it.

If any of you have zero interest in watching Swiss Army Man, I highly recommend still checking out the film's music. It's truly a beautiful score. :thumbs:

Oh, for sure! The soundtrack is a huge part of why I love the film so much... I've actually had it on repeat for most of today and it's kept me in a chilled mood even whilst working. :happy:

• Thanks
LOGAN (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I'll probably write a larger 'Final Thoughts' in the LOGAN thread at a later date, but after 24 hours, I'm still emotionally destroyed. What a beautiful, heartbreaking film. Amazing performances by everyone, a booming, excellent score by Marco Beltrami, gorgeous cinematography by John Mathieson -- all brought together and executed perfectly by James Mangold (I seriously have a newfound respect for that man as a filmmaker). I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being my 2017 Film of the Year.

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I can see why people who grew up with this film would love it, but as I'm just seeing it now for the first time, I found it to be overly cheesy and campy. It really did nothing for me and -- sorry -- I prefer the 2011 remake. That said, the practical effects were pretty damn awesome in this.

THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

A very unique, innovative spin on the zombie genre with a great score and good performances. I think it's definitely worth a viewing (especially since it stars the talented, beautiful Gemma Arterton).

The Girl With All The Gifts is my favourite movie so far this year!

• Thanks
I did enjoy it, but the part that really keeps me from loving is
that it seems like all of the survivors died at the end quickly and in a meaningless way in order to wrap the story a particular way. The Glenn Close death annoyed me in particular.
That's exactly how I felt too... hate when a great film is ruined by a lazy ending.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and tridon