Rate the Movie You Recently Watched

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Use the Ninjas for rating (copy and paste)

Half Ninja = Terrible

HalfN.png

1 Ninja = Poor
1N.png

2 Ninjas = Ok
1N.png
1N.png

3 Ninjas = Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

4 Ninjas = Very Good
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

5 Ninjas = Excellent
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png
1N.png

movieratings.jpg
movierate.jpg

Last edited:
THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

As I feared, the first F&F without Paul Walker was one of the weakest in a while. I didn't buy into Charlize as the new "big bad" and I really didn't care for Scott Eastwood's new character. The Manhattan sequence's CGI was shoddy (it was like I Am Legend with cars instead of vampires) and then the finale was nearly identical to that of Fast & Furious 6 -- you just get a submarine instead of a plane (and the frozen lake is neverending just like the runway from F&F6). In the end, the film was too dark. The humour was still good and the action was still over-the-top fun in some cases, but it's a definite downfall from the last few films. Hopefully this is the one and only F&F that F. Gary Gray directs. Also,
I felt kinda furious when Elsa Pataky's Elena was shot. I loved her character and it was such a dumb, senseless way for her to die. It really pissed me off. It also pissed me off that there was no scene of Hobbs hearing the news since they were partners before.
My new F&F series ranking: 7>5>1>6>3>4>8>2

GHOST IN THE SHELL (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I need to give this one another shot. I watched it at a drive-in theatre in the pouring rain at midnight when I was on the edge of falling asleep. Nevertheless, I found the opening act and final act to be great, but everything in-between was rather slow, boring, and felt like filler. It looked great, though! I think it's a film that I'd like to re-watch in 3D at some point. I personally found it to be a better film than Lucy. Too bad it bombed so hard at the box office.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Fast Five (2011)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

The turning point of the franchise. The Avengers of Fast & Furious movies.

Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I think its a step back from the 5th one, its not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't reach the same heights. And that finale goes on faaaaar too long.

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Such a great movie, a dizzying animated adventure that feels like an Indiana Jones movie (unsurprising considering the director!)

Furious 7 (2015)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

Damn near perfect action movie. So many great memorable moments throughout, some of the craziest stunts of the whole franchise & the ending is an incredible tribute & swan song for Paul Walker.

Fast 8 (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

It was good but it was definitely a step backwards. I'd agree with @tridon's thoughts on this one, Scott Eastwood's character seemed like a pointless addition & the finale was again far too long.
Also totally agree about what they did with Elena. I felt so bad for that actress, she's just been through the ringer with this franchise, sidelined in 6, sidelined in 7 & then this. What a waste!

The Void (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I liked an awful lot of this. I could forgive the performances & some of the weird story beats as it held my attention & those SFX were fantastic! The one thing that bummed me out was -
for a movie that felt so Lovecraftian, I really wish they'd ended with the shot of Daniel & Allison beneath the black pyramid in the void with an Elder God (maybe Cthulhu) towering over it or something. I know that would have been difficult for a low budget feature because there's rights issues & licences to buy or something, but it would have just made it that little bit more special for me.

Fast Five (2011)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

The turning point of the franchise. The Avengers of Fast & Furious movies.

Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

I think its a step back from the 5th one, its not bad by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't reach the same heights. And that finale goes on faaaaar too long.

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

Such a great movie, a dizzying animated adventure that feels like an Indiana Jones movie (unsurprising considering the director!)

Furious 7 (2015)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

Damn near perfect action movie. So many great memorable moments throughout, some of the craziest stunts of the whole franchise & the ending is an incredible tribute & swan song for Paul Walker.

Fast 8 (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
halfn-png.127233

It was good but it was definitely a step backwards. I'd agree with @tridon's thoughts on this one, Scott Eastwood's character seemed like a pointless addition & the finale was again far too long.
Also totally agree about what they did with Elena. I felt so bad for that actress, she's just been through the ringer with this franchise, sidelined in 6, sidelined in 7 & then this. What a waste!

The Void (2017)
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

I liked an awful lot of this. I could forgive the performances & some of the weird story beats as it held my attention & those SFX were fantastic! The one thing that bummed me out was -
for a movie that felt so Lovecraftian, I really wish they'd ended with the shot of Daniel & Allison beneath the black pyramid in the void with an Elder God (maybe Cthulhu) towering over it or something. I know that would have been difficult for a low budget feature because there's rights issues & licences to buy or something, but it would have just made it that little bit more special for me.

Great reviews! I agree with your spoiler for The Void. That would've been cool. The film had so many promising moments, but the acting and story really bogged it down.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
full.png
full.png
full.png
full.png
empty.png

Finally got around to watching all of this (after years of only seeing clips) and it was as epic as I imagined it'd be! I always assumed the skeletons would be the standout moment, but Talos stole the show for me. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and tridon
IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4197.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG

A really GREAT premise. (Equal parts Brainstorm, Flatliners, Eternal Sunshine, Strange Days).
Unfortunately, it seems the idea never got out of the first draft. (It's like they just loved the intial idea and opening scene so much, they went ahead without fleshing out the whole idea).
Too bad, because it has great flashes of what it could have been. (They invent a recorder ala Brainstorm that can record the afterlife).
The movie totally sidelines it's ideas with a shoehorned (and unnecessary) love story angle toward the end - which is a seriously bad move because:

A) the film doesn't need it.
B) the actors have zero chemistry together (Mara & Segel)
and
C) Do you REALLY wanna be reminding me how great Eternal Sunshine was during your movie?

The left turn toward the love story in the last third kind of negates and replaces what came before, and by the end, you feel like you saw the ending to a different story other than the one that was set up.
This definitely needed many more rewrites to hone the story. You can feel it at a crossroads at the midsection, not knowing which way to turn. (The love story was the wrong turn).
The music, locations, and cinematography aquit themselves well. Robert Redford is fine as always. Jason Segel is dour, and kinda miscast. Jesse Plemons seems to be actively vying to be the new Philip Seymour Hoffman. (Pretty good, actually). And Rooney Mara proves again that NFL Family Millions can buy you into the industry, but can't make you an actress.
Interesting misfire, but one of those that bug you with a fantastic premise and terrible follow-through.
I felt just like I did when I left the theater after FLATLINERS. Good premise, but....swing and a miss.

Wow, interesting to see that Blood Wars was your favourite Underworld. Why's this one rated higher? I did enjoy it a lot, but I think Evolution is my personal favourite.

In general, I like them all equally except for the prequel which I always found to be the weaker link. However, I rated Blood Wars a bit higher cos I actually liked the plot a bit more so this time around and more importantly, the special effects were less obvious.

If you look at the older movies, the Lycans aren't really moving their jaws when biting the Vampires. I know why it had to happen that way at the time, using props etc... and the movement is limited; it just kind of bothers me - just a bit - when watching them back to back, which admittedly isn't very fair...

I don't know if they'll make any more sequels but I'm ready for a proper collectible set. I have the Italian steelbooks and well, hmmm, meh :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
In general, I like them all equally except for the prequel which I always found to be the weaker link. However, I rated Blood Wars a bit higher cos I actually liked the plot a bit more so this time around and more importantly, the special effects were less obvious.

If you look at the older movies, the Lycans aren't really moving their jaws when biting the Vampires. I know why it had to happen that way at the time, using props etc... and the movement is limited; it just kind of bothers me - just a bit - when watching them back to back, which admittedly isn't very fair...

I don't know if they'll make any more sequels but I'm ready for a proper collectible set. I have the Italian steelbooks and well, hmmm, meh :LOL:

Okay, that makes sense then. If you're looking at the overall production, then yeah, Blood Wars is easily the best. I did like the story, too. It really set up the series' future mythology if they decide to continue on. At the same time, though, it ends the series nicely, so who knows?

As for a proper collectible set, I'd love that! I'd personally love a box set and maybe some bookends with Selene, Michael, Victor, and Lucian.

• Thanks
Reactions: IRON MAN
Okay, that makes sense then. If you're looking at the overall production, then yeah, Blood Wars is easily the best. I did like the story, too. It really set up the series' future mythology if they decide to continue on. At the same time, though, it ends the series nicely, so who knows?

As for a proper collectible set, I'd love that! I'd personally love a box set and maybe some bookends with Selene, Michael, Victor, and Lucian.

Agreed with regards to either a continuation or the end of it all. Wouldn't mind seeing more.

Selene bookend is good enough for me :p