Record Store Day 2017 - 10th Anniversary - April 22

dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER
cropped-rsd2017_10YEAR-banners_wide-color-hi.jpg

When?
April 22, 2017. Founded in 2007 this year marks the 10th Anniversary.
Where? Worldwide, at your local record store.
Why? To celebrate the culture of the independently owned record stores.
What to expect? A number of records are pressed specifically for RSD, with a unique list of releases for each country, and are only distributed to shops participating in the event. Most of the time there's also live concerts, barbeques or just a hang around and chat with fellow collectors at your record shop

List of RSD exclusive releases?

RSD US: HERE
RSD UK: HERE
RSD IRELAND: HERE
RSD GERMANY: HERE
RSD BELGIUM: HERE
RSD NETHERLANDS: HERE
RSD FRANCE: HERE
RSD MEXICO: HERE
RSD ITALY: HERE
RSD SPAIN: HERE
RSD AUSTRALIA: HERE

Official websites with news and a search engine for participating shops in your area:
Record Store Day US
Record Store Day UK
Record Store Day DE

Last edited:
Nice, I will def want the Dark Crystal Soundtrack, SIA, London Grammar (will need some help for this one), Santana and the other Woodstock album for my wife. I am also interested in the soul, funk, jazz compiliations.
thanks, i'd forgotten The Dark Crystal! :thumbs: will add that to the list, which also has a special edition for Kate Tempest i've got to have. :)

For the US, any idea if there is a list of stores that show what regional releases they are getting?

There will be no such lists. What stores are getting is up to the store owner. He decides what he'll order. And then it's still not sure how many of each he'll receive. From what I heard they need to pay in advance for alle the RSD stuff. That's what get criticized a lot since it should be a day to celebrate indie shops but small indie shops can't afford order that much and pay in advance for it. If they didn't sell well they sit on it...

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C2V3N
There will be no such lists. What stores are getting is up to the store owner. He decides what he'll order. And then it's still not sure how many of each he'll receive. From what I heard they need to pay in advance for alle the RSD stuff. That's what get criticized a lot since it should be a day to celebrate indie shops but small indie shops can't afford order that much and pay in advance for it. If they didn't sell well they sit on it...
Ok thanks Dan!

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
Hey US peeps-we'll be attending Record Store day for 1st time tomorrow in US. How long ahead should we get there, in general. Thanks in advance for sharing any stories.

Reactions: Flloydo
Hey US peeps-we'll be attending Record Store day for 1st time tomorrow in US. How long ahead should we get there, in general. Thanks in advance for sharing any stories.

Hey DB, obviously I'm UK and not sure what it's like in the US but my past experience is get there early.

But then you never know and depends on what the traction that store(s) has

A few years back I had to go to so many to try and get the purple arctic monkeys - R U Mine release and everytime the stores either didn't have any, or sold out, or was soooo busy and people in front had the last copies etc. Plus it's usually 1 per customer and all stores only get a very small amount of each and sometimes none at all, so my mate who was in a seperate part of the country was also Looking and wanted it too so our deal was if we see it we get each other a copy, he found 2 but could only buy 1 due to restrictions lol :(

So since then all my purchases have been online through eBay, Amazon, music magpie, discogs and/ or sound of music

Do you mean you and your wife attending or HDN?

Good Luck DB, I'm Gona try my Luck later in the year for the few i want. It's a risk and sometimes don't pay off but I've been lucky to get mine around cost here or there (I did pay double in the end for arctic monkeys R U mine though - was originally £10 and I paid £20! Which is the most I've paid in comparison to original price)

If you want very limited stuff or very popular releases you need to go very early. People already lining up at night at some stores.
It depends on how popular your store is where you live, how big the store is and how many releases they'll get. It's a day to celebrate independent record stores but most of them are very small so they only buy a very limited amount of RSD releases to make sure all will be sold and they get their funds back. And a lot of releases are sold online prior to RSD. At eBay for 400% profit or at some record stores to their loyal customers "under the desk". So if there's a limited release it is even more limited when RSD starts "officially". Also check in which category the releases fit you're interested in. There's "RSD exclusive Releases" and "RSD First Releases". Second category you don't need to hurry to buy since they're getting a release some weeks after RSD everywhere.

I'll not stress myself over some records. I'm interested in some, I'll go before midday when the first storm is over. And if theres something left I'm interested in I'll get them and be happy :)
It's a day of celebration and not like Black Friday to rush stores and fight about stuff. In my opinion.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I have to confess I've popped in the past 3 years to get stuff and not once have I come out with anything. Before that i tried the odd year, again nothing. I don't waste my time after that trying to even get the stuff on ebay as the scalpers just ask serious money........

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Flloydo
If you want very limited stuff or very popular releases you need to go very early. People already lining up at night at some stores.
It depends on how popular your store is where you live, how big the store is and how many releases they'll get. It's a day to celebrate independent record stores but most of them are very small so they only buy a very limited amount of RSD releases to make sure all will be sold and they get their funds back. And a lot of releases are sold online prior to RSD. At eBay for 400% profit or at some record stores to their loyal customers "under the desk". So if there's a limited release it is even more limited when RSD starts "officially". Also check in which category the releases fit you're interested in. There's "RSD exclusive Releases" and "RSD First Releases". Second category you don't need to hurry to buy since they're getting a release some weeks after RSD everywhere.

I'll not stress myself over some records. I'm interested in some, I'll go before midday when the first storm is over. And if theres something left I'm interested in I'll get them and be happy :)
It's a day of celebration and not like Black Friday to rush stores and fight about stuff. In my opinion.

I have to confess I've popped in the past 3 years to get stuff and not once have I come out with anything. Before that i tried the odd year, again nothing. I don't waste my time after that trying to even get the stuff on ebay as the scalpers just ask serious money........

Yep ^ the above

I haven't bothered going on the day in the past 5 years - but then where I live I have none around me and I dont drive

But if your patient or look in the right places then you don't get scalped

Was only scalped once of the 15/20 I own over the years - yeah I've paid a few quid more here and there but I've also paid less so swings and roundabouts for me

Either that or the titles I've got and wanted are less demand (but judging by the price they got for with some of the releases I've got then I've done extremely well)

I finally picked up the guest purple RSD numbered release a few weeks back for £14.39 all in through Amazon - new and sealed :)

Patience is my friend

I'll try to get the Metropolis OST, the Blacula OST and the Andromeda Strain OST. First one is my most wanted and last one is the one I'll definitely not get when I'm not lining up.
My most wanted would be Space Jam but it's released only in the US so no chance there. If I can find any of them then it is what it is.

Hey DB, obviously I'm UK and not sure what it's like in the US but my past experience is get there early.

But then you never know and depends on what the traction that store(s) has

A few years back I had to go to so many to try and get the purple arctic monkeys - R U Mine release and everytime the stores either didn't have any, or sold out, or was soooo busy and people in front had the last copies etc. Plus it's usually 1 per customer and all stores only get a very small amount of each and sometimes none at all, so my mate who was in a seperate part of the country was also Looking and wanted it too so our deal was if we see it we get each other a copy, he found 2 but could only buy 1 due to restrictions lol :(

So since then all my purchases have been online through eBay, Amazon, music magpie, discogs and/ or sound of music

Do you mean you and your wife attending or HDN?

Good Luck DB, I'm Gona try my Luck later in the year for the few i want. It's a risk and sometimes don't pay off but I've been lucky to get mine around cost here or there (I did pay double in the end for arctic monkeys R U mine though - was originally £10 and I paid £20! Which is the most I've paid in comparison to original price)
Thanks Floy, my wife and I-guess we'll get ready for Hunger Games just in case, ha!

Thanks Dan!

• Thanks
Well for anyone on this forum like me who's getting up at the crack of dawn to go into town for Record Day. Good luck because boy are we going to need it. Off to bed for a few hours kip and a rarity for me. Getting my arse out of bed on a Saturday morning..... A once in a life time experience. Note this for the history books.

Well for anyone on this forum like me who's getting up at the crack of dawn to go into town for Record Day. Good luck because boy are we going to need it. Off to bed for a few hours kip and a rarity for me. Getting my arse out of bed on a Saturday morning..... A once in a life time experience. Note this for the history books.

Which records you want to get?

Which records you want to get?
We usually
Equip your bow and your be fine

.... Oh and war paint lol

What releases are you aiming for and tickling your fancy?
Haha, I would like to get Dark Crystal, SIA and a few others for a friend. My wife may want to get Santana and a few other classic rock records.

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885 and Flloydo
We usually

Haha, I would like to get Dark Crystal, SIA and a few others for a friend. My wife may want to get Santana and a few other classic rock records.

Would love to get the dark crystal, really want the Pineapple Express and space jam too and I fear I won't have much luck with those on the secondary market later in the year. Just have a feeling

I don't mind a bit of SIA, great song writer too. She's a bit of a female Es sheeran IMO - not the style but everything else

Ol Santana, my dads favourite band. Got a vinyl of theirs somewhere

Well good luck to all, and enjoy RSD

• Thanks
We usually

Good luck and have fun!

If you come across a Space Jam OST I would be forever thankful if you can pick me one up. Would be amazing to get this release but it's US exclusive.