Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Zavvi.com

10908461-1395137211-784357.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784318.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been trailing through this film yesterday, not that anyone cares but my opinion below, if you're a huge fan of the remake you might want to look away now. :D

Sat through some of the film, ended up skipping through it and I must say, first impressions, I have to side with the naysayers. It truly is deplorable, the main lead actor was robotic and mechanical before he even became Robocop. Gary Oldman is sub par, his acting talents weren't exactly put to use (Oldman is a terrific ham actor and I would've thought Robocop would be an opportunity to showcase those talents) and Michael Keaton is criminally underused. Samuel L Jackson's screen time, what little there is of it is enjoyable but nowhere near enough to outweigh the film's dullness. I don't normally use the word "boring" to describe anything as it lacks creativity, but if I had to use it now would be for this. 'Robocop' 2014 is boring and even manages to waste one of many things it potentially had going for it, the famous and finest "I'd buy that for a dollar quote" is delivered in the most uncharismatic manner possible. I don't think making it an R/18 rating with added violence/gore would've benefited it much either, it lacks the charm and grittiness of the original. The film is too stylish and I think that's the problem with films these days, it's all very impressive, these sparkly special effects but the environment and Detroit especially does not look like it's in ruins, it's too clean and the tone of the overall product is very watered down and doesn't have that 70's/80's video-nasty trashy like macabre feeling the original had. This isn't because I compared it to the original through the duration, I never set any expectations of it in the first place. Even as a standalone film I don't think it excels, there's nothing special about it whatsoever. Very disappointed in this film, nice steelbook however. To buy or not to buy? Your move.

Last edited:
Been trailing through this film yesterday, not that anyone cares but my opinion below, if you're a huge fan of the remake you might want to look away now. :D

Sat through some of the film, ended up skipping through it and I must say, first impressions, I have to side with the naysayers. It truly is deplorable, the main lead actor was robotic and mechanical before he even became Robocop. Gary Oldman is sub par, his acting talents weren't exactly put to use (Oldman is a terrific ham actor and I would've thought Robocop would be an opportunity to showcase those talents) and Michael Keaton is criminally underused. Samuel L Jackson's screen time, what little there is of it is enjoyable but nowhere near enough to outweigh the film's dullness. I don't normally use the word "boring" to describe anything as it lacks creativity, but if I had to use it now would be for this. 'Robocop' 2014 is boring and even manages to waste one of many things it potentially had going for it, the famous and finest "I'd buy that for a dollar quote" is delivered in the most uncharismatic manner possible. I don't think making it an R/18 rating with added violence/gore would've benefited it much either, it lacks the charm and grittiness of the original. The film is too stylish and I think that's the problem with films these days, it's all very impressive, these sparkly special effects but the environment and Detroit especially does not look like it's in ruins, it's too clean and the tone of the overall product is very watered down and doesn't have that 70's/80's video-nasty trashy like macabre feeling the original had. This isn't because I compared it to the original through the duration, I never set any expectations of it in the first place. Even as a standalone film I don't think it excels, there's nothing special about it whatsoever. Very disappointed in this film, nice steelbook however. To buy or not to buy? Your move.

What a hypocritical review. Says you didn't compare it to the first movie, yet that is what the whole passage is about???? Don't seem to know what you're saying.

What a hypocritical review. Says you didn't compare it to the first movie, yet that is what the whole passage is about???? Don't seem to know what you're saying.

Umm, no I meant I didn't compare scenes whilst I was watching it, afterwards in the review I started to draw the comparisons. The film has hardly any connections to the original at all, and if it wasn't for the title and Robocop suit I would never have watched it with that in mind (in my mind, but did not compare scenes at all). I watched it with an open mind, without comparing it to the original and I still think it's a bad film. When this film was made it was obvious they wanted to cash in on the success on the original.

Edit: Seems to make sense to me, but yes, reading the passage now I've realised I contradicted myself. My error.

Last edited:
I admire this film for being different enough from the original to exist on its own, even if it wasn't massively successful doing so.

In comparison watching the remake of Carrie, which was pretty much scene for scene the same as the original, with an added botch job of an ending including a load of Final Destination style BS.

Its ok as a movie but its not as good as the original

They missed an opportunity in making the new version it should have been made for the same 15-18 and above audience
They went with a more softer less violence and you can see why it only a 12 cert film
If we did not have the previous version it would have been a ok film but we will always compare to the original

It could have been a lot better film and watching the extras this film happened by accident they were considering other films to remake and the director suggested Robocop to them instead he saw the original film poster on the wall

Some films don't need re makes (The Omen for example terrible remake)and some can be better than the original (Invasion of the Body Snatchers/The Thing are better than the original )
But Robocop 2014 is not one that falls into that category as been better

Its best to watch this film without comparing it to the original but that is in reality impossible unless you have not seen the original version

In my opinion they made a mistake in not going for a more 18 type of film and even think they should not have remade the film in the first place

Last edited:
Its ok as a movie but its not as good as the original

They missed an opportunity in making the new version it should have been made for the same 15-18 and above audience
They went with a more softer less violence and you can see why it only a 12 cert film
If we did not have the previous version it would have been a ok film but we will always compare to the original

It could have been a lot better film and watching the extras this film happened by accident they were considering other films to remake and the director suggested Robocop to them instead he saw the original film poster on the wall

Some films don't need re makes (The Omen for example terrible remake)and some can be better than the original (Invasion of the Body Snatchers/The Thing are better than the original )
But Robocop 2014 is not one that falls into that category as been better

Its best to watch this film without comparing it to the original but that is in reality impossible unless you have not seen the original version

In my opinion they made a mistake in not going for a more 18 type of film and even think they should not have remade the film in the first place

I agree, I think I overstepped the mark when I ranted on slightly incoherently and didn't make enough sense in the way I structured my opinion. You pretty much nailed it, I didn't like this film at all but it was in no means as rubbish as the "The Omen" remake. The only remake I've liked was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 2003.

watched it last night, actually really enjoyed it!

Me too. Just watched this was a blind buy but found it very enjoyable. Don't understand why it got so much hate.

agreed watched mine tonight was good, i think as a remake and as a standalone film but how they quite got a 12 cert i do not know?
Think should be more a 15 to be honest, but perhaps i'm just getting a bit old in the tooth that or people are getting a bit more desensitized over time?

basil :thumbs:

agreed watched mine tonight was good, i think as a remake and as a standalone film but how they quite got a 12 cert i do not know?

Think should be more a 15 to be honest, but perhaps i'm just getting a bit old in the tooth that or people are getting a bit more desensitized over time?

basil :thumbs:

Fully agree with the 12 cert, it's a 15 cert movie! saying that, it was a nice surprise in that there was a lot more action than I thought there would be. It's no Robocop 3, that's for sure :hilarious:

Pleasantly surprised and get the impression a sequel (s) will be even better than the first. A 7/10 for me. And next time, it's gotta be a 15 cert at least! :thumbs:

Last edited:
I'm glad I watched this before the kids did. They watch many cert 12 films such as Transformers, Pacific Rim etc but this is a bit darker imo and should be a 15. Im not comparing to the original, as that's just a different film.
I personally really enjoyed the film and the steel is great. Just be wary of letting younger kids watch it.