Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Zavvi.com

10908461-1395137211-784357.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784318.jpg

10908461-1395137211-784055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI ninjas the amaray release has a fantastic lenticular slip which makes a killer lenticular magnet for the steelbook.:thumbs:

I would be. You might have a Blu-ray player in every room, so might your friends, but I don't.

I agree. I find a DVD very handy and would appreciate them being included.

I don't like any DVD been included unless it has extras that are not on the Blu-ray itself
I never like extras missing so if the extras are on a DVD then yes it should be included

It also adds to the overall cost including a DVD copy of the film and I'm paying for something I wont be using
If someone wants a DVD they can purchase this separately if needed

Most people who buy a Blu-ray buy it for the Blu-ray if it happens to include a DVD at no extra cost or has extras not on the Blu-ray then that's fine

If it just the Film on the DVD it adds to the price so its much better if its not included to keep the price down but they should never drop extras that are only available on a DVD

I also don't like DVD been included for other reasons its hides the inside artwork

Last edited:
Adding the DVD shouldn't add to the cost. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Most prices seem to be based on what the distributor thinks they can get away with.

Originally Disney Blu-rays came with the DVD. People complained that they already owned the DVDs so Disney removed them. They didn't drop the price though.

Early Fox releases had the DVD included in the steelbook and now look, The A-Team, Taken and X-Men came out at £10 with the DVD. Alien, X-Men 2, The Omen and Brazil all nearer £17 and yet no DVD.

Paramount's Thor and Captain America included the DVD and they were £15, so was Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Now we get Beverly Hills Cop and Star Trek Into Darkness at the same price or more with less content.

As I say, it's what the company can get away with.

Adding the DVD shouldn't add to the cost. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Most prices seem to be based on what the distributor thinks they can get away with.

Originally Disney Blu-rays came with the DVD. People complained that they already owned the DVDs so Disney removed them. They didn't drop the price though.

Early Fox releases had the DVD included in the steelbook and now look, The A-Team, Taken and X-Men came out at £10 with the DVD. Alien, X-Men 2, The Omen and Brazil all nearer £17 and yet no DVD.

Paramount's Thor and Captain America included the DVD and they were £15, so was Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Now we get Beverly Hills Cop and Star Trek Into Darkness at the same price or more with less content.

As I say, it's what the company can get away with.

I buy a Blu-ray and don't need the DVD its that simple unless its an extras DVD then yes I want it included

If you want a DVD go and buy a DVD separately

It does add to the cost its not free to make any DVD as there are costs in its manufacture and also every DVD sold will include payments to directors/actors/film crew/Production companies involved for every DVD made and sold

It spoils the inside artwork as it hides it

If you buy a Blu-ray Release is for a Blu-ray Player
If you don't have a Blu-ray player you buy the DVD
If you need both then buy both

You might see sometimes a Studio offload unsold back catalogue DVD's in a new Blu-ray release or Blu-ray re-release to clear their DVD's stock level and use the Blu-ray release for this purpose and the price is not increased as their just getting rid of overstocks

When Blu-ray was been launched The A-Team, Taken not everyone had a Blu-ray player and was to encourage the purchase of a Blu-ray by including the DVD and then customers went and purchased a Blu-ray Player

That was years ago most people by now own a Blu-ray player so its not needed to include the DVD

What they do now sometimes is to include a UltraViolet Digital copy for portable use instead of a DVD

With a New Film Release it will add to the cost 100% including a DVD of the Film

If Inside Llewyn Davis Steelbook had not included a DVD it would have been cheaper

Last edited:
Apparently you can rip a copy onto a DVD for home use, if I can recall reading recently it became legal in the UK to make copies for own use. Don't want to get in trouble with the law though and DVD's drop in price very quickly so really it's no problem. I agree with PaulBoland to an extent, I didn't like it when for example, Arrow's 'Day of the Dead' release was going to include the DVD copy of the same Blu-ray and rule out the special features disc. Obviously I'd rather have the special features disc than the DVD copy, but if the option is there for a spare DVD copy not compromising a special features disc then I'd like them to bring it back. All I was saying. :)

Reactions: paulboland
what i like about included dvd's is the space they occupy in the steelbook ...the extra disc slot often comes in handy for other special discs associated with the movie, like some retailer exclusives that have their own exclusive bonus discs…. or perhaps an 2nd alternate version of the movie may be released in the future with new features ect... ....in the case of Robocop 2014 i would of considered replacing the dvd with the bluray of the original movie had the steelbook been killer with that art and a gloss finish :drool:

I buy a Blu-ray and don't need the DVD its that simple unless its an extras DVD then yes I want it included

If you want a DVD go and buy a DVD separately

It does add to the cost its not free to make any DVD as there are costs in its manufacture and also every DVD sold will include payments to directors/actors/film crew/Production companies involved for every DVD made and sold

It spoils the inside artwork as it hides it

If you buy a Blu-ray Release is for a Blu-ray Player
If you don't have a Blu-ray player you buy the DVD
If you need both then buy both

You might see sometimes a Studio offload unsold back catalogue DVD's in a new Blu-ray release or Blu-ray re-release to clear their DVD's stock level and use the Blu-ray release for this purpose and the price is not increased as their just getting rid of overstocks

When Blu-ray was been launched The A-Team, Taken not everyone had a Blu-ray player and was to encourage the purchase of a Blu-ray by including the DVD and then customers went and purchased a Blu-ray Player

That was years ago most people by now own a Blu-ray player so its not needed to include the DVD

What they do now sometimes is to include a UltraViolet Digital copy for portable use instead of a DVD

With a New Film Release it will add to the cost 100% including a DVD of the Film

If Inside Llewyn Davis Steelbook had not included a DVD it would have been cheaper

We're obviously not going to agree, and really this is a discussion for another thread.

I appreciate you have no need for the DVD, and yes, I suspect most people aren't bothered either. However, I have no need for the 3D disc either (people who want the 3D version can buy it separately right?). With standard Blu-ray releases, it's easy to pick up multi-disc amarays and put anything you want in it. With steelbooks it's more tricky.

However, it's clear, especially with catalog releases that the inclusion of DVDs has no bearing on the price...

X-Men (Blu + DVD) = £10 at release
X2 (Blu) = £15 at release
X-Men: The Last Stand (Blu) = £17 at release

So, each one more expensive than before. Also, not one contained the bonus disc from the trilogy boxset.

Also, it's more a UK thing. The US steelbooks (and German) for recent releases and catalog titles are much more likely to contain a DVD. If the UK really wants Blu-ray to sell (it's still a niche market), adding a DVD might encourage that. Obviously steelbooks are designed for collectors, so I guess it's less important but even then, how often has a catalog steelbook left off a bonus disc?..

Blade Runner
Alien
Aliens

All missing a bonus disc yet often 3 or 4 times the price if a standard release.

As for extra discs covering inside art, really, does it matter that much? Do you display them open? Surely you'd have to take the disc out to see it anyway (most 2 disc sets have both discs on the same side). What about steelbooks with no inside art in the first place?

Anyway, (and I'm being sincere) if your steelbook purchases give you what you want at an agreeable price, that's great. You're lucky.