SteelBook Predictions for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I thought this could be a fun thread, what are your predictions of upcoming titles that you think will get SteelBook treatment?

I'll start with a few ...

2012 (a few countries)
Sherlock Holmes (maybe 1 or 2 countries?)

I agree with Tennberg. BB and Futureshop are both owned by the same corporation and right now...at FutureShop you would get the New Moon Blu-ray Steelbook at the right Blu-ray size, compared to BB Exclusive that is on their website at the DVD sized. Or am I wrong in that assumption? Please clarify for me if someone knows for sure.

Also, in essence......how is making a DVD sized steelbook cheaper than something that is smaller? Scanavo is located in Canada, so how is it being imported from Europe? According to their website their locations are Denmark, Canada and Hong Kong. It would seem rather dumb for FutureShop to import it when it's in their own country. Just sayin'.

So why are Wall-E, Bug's Life, Cars, etc., all Blu-ray size? Were these made in Europe, imported, but sold at U.S. Best Buy's as U.S. versions?

Imported. Also, the discs are made in Mexico (least all the ones I bought, some from Canada and some from US)... and the US has a blu-ray manufacturing plant here in Terra Haute Indiana, yet the discs were made in Mexico.

I agree with Tennberg. BB and Futureshop are both owned by the same corporation and right now...at FutureShop you would get the New Moon Blu-ray Steelbook at the right Blu-ray size, compared to BB Exclusive that is on their website at the DVD sized. Or am I wrong in that assumption? Please clarify for me if someone knows for sure.

Also, in essence......how is making a DVD sized steelbook cheaper than something that is smaller? Scanavo is located in Canada, so how is it being imported from Europe? According to their website their locations are Denmark, Canada and Hong Kong. It would seem rather dumb for FutureShop to import it when it's in their own country. Just sayin'.

Their HQ is in Europe, Denmark. They have a plant in Ohio as well, which is why you see tons of dvd size steels show in wal-mart and BB etc. Thats why its cheaper to go DVD size. My scanavo contact, the last time I asked said they just dont have the machines set up for blu-ray size here in NA yet. I'll check with him again and see how thats going ... I'm a little forgetful, but I'm almost positive Canada doesnt have this option either ... Ill check on it.

As for the differences in steelbook products in the case of FutureShop vs. Best Buy ... Canada and USA have different product buyers ... obviously, as history shows us Futureshop product buyer(s) have cared a lot more on the insight of the collectors as opposed to US just going for profit margins and cheapest way to get it done. (ie. LOTR stickerbook/ dvd size stuff etc.)

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Keep in mind retailers can also sign exclusive contracts with the studios in regards to these steelbook releases so it is possible to have something made in Europe and then imported here and not being able to be sold in Europe even though manufactured there.

Some times, these contracts are time sensitive. Kinda like how Media Markt (retailer in Europe/Germany) had "SteelBook" Exclusives and then after like what ...? 3months? They pretty much all showed up on amazon. I dont have an excact clarifcation on that, but I presume it was a timed exclusive. I could check on that if need be.

Last edited:
Alright here is your answer direct from my Scanavo contact. ;) So, funny to see all the Disney steels were made abroad and shipped here. Since the discs were made in Mexico they were probably packaged there, who knows. Must have been exclusive contracts to only allow these titles to the parent company Best Buy. Man, sure would suck for European collectors if the contract was timed and they get their own 12 weeks of Disney this year. :p

Hi John, right now manufacturing for BD capabilities only take place
in our European facility.

Simple really, supply and demand. Although we have seen sales
increases, until the studios fully embrace in N America the SteelBook
(tm) or overall volume allows the cost to bring a line to our US
factory just doesn't make commercial sense!

More collectors needed, more lobbying of the studios, less purchasing
by consumers of Ironpak from China:) and of course more volume and
therefore more titles:)

Last edited:
Predictions .... empty wallets 2010! 3-4 Inception Steels.

2-3 on Salt.

Something big from Future Shop this fall. They have been too quiet.

Agreed, and I hope you are correct and it is not that they have slowed on the steelbook releases.

I personally think there will be an Inception Steelbook, IM 2 Steelbook, Preadors Steelbook, and another 12 weeks of Disney Steelbooks, just to name a few

Cheers
CrashKelly

Agreed, and I hope you are correct and it is not that they have slowed on the steelbook releases.

I personally think there will be an Inception Steelbook, IM 2 Steelbook, Preadors Steelbook, and another 12 weeks of Disney Steelbooks, just to name a few

Cheers
CrashKelly

I sure hope you are right. I loved that Disney thing!:drool:

I sure hope you are right. I loved that Disney thing!:drool:

Really?!?! I am still having nightmares about it. I was trying to help out a couple of friend with the disneys and would have to scramble like crazy every Tuesday as all of the FS'es in my area had implemented the 1 per limit by the second week

Cheers
CrashKelly

Really?!?! I am still having nightmares about it. I was trying to help out a couple of friend with the disneys and would have to scramble like crazy every Tuesday as all of the FS'es in my area had implemented the 1 per limit by the second week

Cheers
CrashKelly

You are right. Getting them was a pain. I was up north last fall, and had to drive 75 clicks to the nearest Future Shop (North Bay). I'll probably do the same this year. But it was still exciting each week, seeing each new issue!:oohyeah:

You are right. Getting them was a pain. I was up north last fall, and had to drive 75 clicks to the nearest Future Shop (North Bay). I'll probably do the same this year. But it was still exciting each week, seeing each new issue!:oohyeah:

I have 3 FS'es on a 1 hour round trip work and I was hitting all 3 every Tuesday. I knew I would get one as I was always there at opening for the first store, but I was always sweating bullets on whether or not I would make it to the second store before they were sold out.

I think the thing that irked me the most, that was after 9 weeks of hell, they all ccome out at Best Buy US on the same day. Happy that BB got them, but it made the 9 weeks of work a complete waste of time

Cheers
CrashKelly

Im starting to think that we'll get some type of Disney promo but nowhere in the amount of last years. Perhaps 6 or 10 weeks. If they can pull off a 12 I bet there will be quite a few crap titles in the mix.

Now that we know about the Disney steels not happening I would still really like finding nemo , it would b awesome if they at least kept all the pixar ones in steels but oh well.
That being said lol I would love to see
Inception
The Expendables

Inception
Expendables

Gangs of New York .... ;) I'll post the news later.

ps. I think last years Disney steels have just increased in value with the announcements from last week.

maybe this is a lil off-topic, but if steelbook's patent is from '03 then what was the very 1st steel ever produced? and what was the very 1st G2-sized blu steel? any1 know I'm awfully curious... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.