Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: December 4, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11515044-1284500093120690.jpg

11515044-1094500093176202.jpg11515044-1454500093245247.jpg

Extras:
  • NEW – T2: Reprogramming The Terminator documentary (including exclusive interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and many more)
  • 2 feature Commentaries; 23 members of Cast & Crew (1993)/ director James Cameron & co-author William Wisher
  • The making of T2 –1993
  • Seamless Branching of the Theatrical cut, Director’s Cut and Special extended edition
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with audio commentary
  • Trailers – NEW T2:3D trailer (2017) T2 theatrical trailer ‘This time there are two’/ ‘Same make new mission’/ Building the perfect Arnold

Last edited by a moderator:
It was first released in 2006 in the US, which is the version you're describing from Wiki. ;)

Yes that's right, this 2017 release is the new one. And yes to your second question, both the same. The best T2 Blu-ray so far is the region A locked 2015 Lionsgate release or the first UK release from 2008. You can compare them here.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=262
]

OK...so let me get this straight:

2006 - First (US-only) sh!tty first release, washed out picture, limited sound options.

2008 - First UK release on BD. Same master used for subsequent 2009 Skynet version and the 2015 Zavvi steelbook.

2015 - Region A locked BD. Same as 2008 UK release (and 2009 Skynet / 2015 steelbook) ???

2017 - Brand new 4K restoration + 3D

]

OK...so let me get this straight:

2006 - First (US-only) sh!tty first release, washed out picture, limited sound options. - Yes

2008 - First UK release on BD. Same master used for subsequent 2009 Skynet version and the 2015 Zavvi steelbook. - First UK release yes, but the 2009 disc (which is the one included in the 2015 Steelbook) has DNR.

2015 - Region A locked BD. Same as 2008 UK release (and 2009 Skynet / 2015 steelbook) ??? - Nope, it's a slight improvement over the Skynet version with better grain structure, it's very similar to the 2008 release though.

2017 - Brand new 4K restoration + 3D - Yes sir! :)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kipper15
OK so I looked up the Skynet Edition, looks like it was released in 2009.

2015 - upgraded blu-ray release to tie in with Genysis...but we're not sure if the Zavvi steelbook had the new and improved master. Would make sense if they used the 2015 transfer not the 2009 one.

Forthcoming release....could it have been delayed because they want to fix this problem? The monster thread over on blu-ray.com suggests this might be why it's been held up, although I must confsess.

Surely James Cameron wouldn't want to have this put out in inferior quality to the last version? Why not take the 2D/2K version from the 4K conversion vs. the 3D master?

That’s the speculation. They reckon (hope) that it’s to improve the video quality but we’ll see.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kipper15
USA Lionsgate
2006 Codec: MPEG-2 first release
2009 Skynet edition Codec: VC-1
2015 Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
2017/2018 New 4K restoration scan Codec: MPEG-4 AVC

Best USA edition before the new 4K restoration scan is the 2015 release

UK Studiocanal
2008 Codec: VC-1
2009 Steelbook Skynet edition Codec: VC-1
2015 Steelbook same Skynet edition as 2009 Codec: VC-1
2017 Steelbook new 4K restoration scan Codec: MPEG-4 AVC

USA/Canada lionsgate release from 2015 is a better transfer than 2008/2009/2015 UK releases

Canada Mondo X steelbook has the 2015 transfer

Last edited:
That’s the speculation. They reckon (hope) that it’s to improve the video quality but we’ll see.

Yes let's hope so....and I noticed an incomplete sentence in the post I made that you quoted in your reply!

It should read:

The monster thread over on blu-ray.com suggests this might be why it's been held up, although I must confess I have not read all 100 pages of it!

The 2015 disc i’m not sure. T2 was released on a new BD when Genyshit which featured a better transfer than the previously released Skynet Edition.

This new version was a brand new 4K restoration AND 3D conversion however, it appears that the non-3D version is taken from the 3D master and just flattened (meaning it retains the DNR which is common with 3D conversions of older films)
Not that I don't believe you...
But Cameron personally oversaw this. And I find it hard to believe he would allow heavy DNR on his movie.

Reactions: gaeljet
Not that I don't believe you...
But Cameron personally oversaw this. And I find it hard to believe he would allow heavy DNR on his movie.

He oversaw the 3D conversion though. They employ DNR on those anyway (Predator & Jurassic Park are good examples).

That review was for the 4K UHD release which looks like they’ve used the 3D master and just removed the second eye. I think people were expecting the UHD to be mastered from the 4K restoration before it went through the 3D conversion. So this is the speculation part where people think they are redoing the UHD discs.

He personally oversaw Aliens on BD as well and IMHO I wasn’t impressed with the colour regrading on it. Looks sickly green now.

He oversaw the 3D conversion though. They employ DNR on those anyway (Predator & Jurassic Park are good examples).

That review was for the 4K UHD release which looks like they’ve used the 3D master and just removed the second eye. I think people were expecting the UHD to be mastered from the 4K restoration before it went through the 3D conversion. So this is the speculation part where people think they are redoing the UHD discs.

He personally oversaw Aliens on BD as well and IMHO I wasn’t impressed with the colour regrading on it. Looks sickly green now.
How can they NOT use the 4k remaster for the 4k disc!! WTF:facepalm::facepalm::bag:

Thanks for clarification. That could be the case. Hope not. Cameron seems like a control freak who not allow such a thing - but we shall see.
I have yet to look at the regrading on Aliens. Aliens is supposed to be cool blue.
Any chance that you can adjust your set or your Oppo to adjust the regrading?
(Btw- there is a guy on Original Trilogy site who does HD versions regraded to correct movies incorrectly/poorly graded)

Thanks for clarification. That could be the case. Hope not. Cameron seems like a control freak who not allow such a thing - but we shall see.
I have yet to look at the regrading on Aliens. Aliens is supposed to be cool blue.
Any chance that you can adjust your set or your Oppo to adjust the regrading?
(Btw- there is a guy on Original Trilogy site who does HD versions regraded to correct movies incorrectly/poorly graded)

shouldn't have to adjust the settings on my TV each time I want to watch something to be honest. in regards to Cameron being a control freak, he's too busy doing Crapatar parts 2 through 70 at the moment. Terminator and Terminator 2 previous Blu-ray editions wasn't approved by himself directly, just Lightstorm. I'm still waiting for The Abyss and true Lies to appear on Blu-ray one day

last three times I've seen Aliens has been on the big screen (twice on 35mm, once on 70mm) and it looked magnificent which makes watching the Blu-ray even harder lol. But I'm deep in that circle of 'custom' discs anyway and participate with a few projects ;) I do have a custom copy of Alien and Aliens (and others) which I prefer over the official Blu-ray release.

shouldn't have to adjust the settings on my TV each time I want to watch something to be honest. in regards to Cameron being a control freak, he's too busy doing Crapatar parts 2 through 70 at the moment. Terminator and Terminator 2 previous Blu-ray editions wasn't approved by himself directly, just Lightstorm. I'm still waiting for The Abyss and true Lies to appear on Blu-ray one day

last three times I've seen Aliens has been on the big screen (twice on 35mm, once on 70mm) and it looked magnificent which makes watching the Blu-ray even harder lol. But I'm deep in that circle of 'custom' discs anyway and participate with a few projects ;) I do have a custom copy of Alien and Aliens (and others) which I prefer over the official Blu-ray release.
:LOL: I agree he should not be wasting his talents on more Avatar nonsense. (it breaks my heart to think about all the movies were missing out on by him wasting 20 years of his life on avatar).
I have seen many interviews where he has said that the 3D transfer is the best T2 has ever looked.
(Although, EVERY director has to be second guessed now regarding remasters after the French Connection incident).
I agree that it would be nice to pop in a disc and just watch - but even with a properly calibrated monitor - you have to make adjustments for EVERY movie you pop in. There is no real standard for mastering - so you can get your blacks just right, and all of a sudden the next BR has black levels in the grey zone.
But, I get your point.
The day may come when I ask you about regraded Aliens!:naughty:
I, too, have dabbled in the realm (I have all of Harmy's SW stuff) - and have reauthored and created some BRs myself for films not yet released on BR in HD.
Unfortunately my gateway site to the FanEdits shut down.:ohno::mad:

:LOL: I agree he should not be wasting his talents on more Avatar nonsense. (it breaks my heart to think about all the movies were missing out on by him wasting 20 years of his life on avatar).
I have seen many interviews where he has said that the 3D transfer is the best T2 has ever looked.
(Although, EVERY director has to be second guessed now regarding remasters after the French Connection incident).
I agree that it would be nice to pop in a disc and just watch - but even with a properly calibrated monitor - you have to make adjustments for EVERY movie you pop in. There is no real standard for mastering - so you can get your blacks just right, and all of a sudden the next BR has black levels in the grey zone.
But, I get your point.
The day may come when I ask you about regraded Aliens!:naughty:
I, too, have dabbled in the realm (I have all of Harmy's SW stuff) - and have reauthored and created some BRs myself for films not yet released on BR in HD.
Unfortunately my gateway site to the FanEdits shut down.:ohno::mad:

Now you all have me thinking that when (if) True Lies is ever released on Blu-ray that it won't be done correctly the first time and that there will be several releases over the years (if James Cameron lives that long) before it's done right even though he's overseeing the project.

Having said that, I have always found the sound and picture on the True Lies DVD quite decent.
However, it has been years since I've seen it.

Now you all have me thinking that when (if) True Lies is ever released on Blu-ray that it won't be done correctly the first time and that there will be several releases over the years (if James Cameron lives that long) before it's done right even though he's overseeing the project.

Having said that, I have always found the sound and picture on the True Lies DVD quite decent.
However, it has been years since I've seen it.
You would think, with the popularity of TRUE LIES, that there would be a major release of LA TOTALE! - the French film that TRUE LIES is a remake of.

Last edited:
Looks like Studio Canal has screwed us in the UK again.

Home Cinema Choice has reviewed the 4k disc and the English audio is only 5.1 DTS-HD MA while the German audio is 7.1 DTS-HD MA.

WTF Studio Canal????!!!:angry::angry::banghead::banghead: