The Crow (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: May 18, 2015
Purchase link: The Crow
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2500 Copies. Gloss Finish.

crow.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, but thought I read elsewhere it was the same disc as the American release. Maybe someone will clarify it.
Does the US edition have additional content or is it just a superior master? If it is the former then no new cut has been submitted for classification but knowing EIV I really doubt they will be using a different master for this :(

Reactions: augustus
Does the US edition have additional content or is it just a superior master? If it is the former then no new cut has been submitted for classification but knowing EIV I really doubt they will be using a different master for this :(
Unsure, as to extra content on the American release but believe it does have a better transfer. Agree its unlikely to get a new master here.

Unsure, as to extra content on the American release but believe it does have a better transfer. Agree its unlikely to get a new master here.
The U.S. edition has:

Audio commentary with director Alex Proyas
"Behind the Scenes" featurette (16:33)
"A Profile of James O'Barr" (33:33)
3 Extended Scenes (11:32 in total)
Deleted Footage Montage (5:23)
23 Original Poster Concepts
12 Production Design Stills
5-Scene Storyboards
Theatrical Trailer (1:30)
Bookmark Ability

The UK version has all the features listed above but also:

Deleted Footage (5:12)
Brandon Lees last interview (6:01)
(*Also the UK commentary is different, it's not by the director but instead it's by producer Jeff Most and screenwriter John Shirley*)

Now the thing is, the UK version is only 1080i (which isn't 'full' HD) but the U.S. is 1080p but is cropped in some scenes. It still looks great though and not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Thanks BluSteel2012. I have to say, I have never been able to see the difference in 1080 Progressive and Interlaced scanning.
Hope we get a release soon. I only have the dreadful SD version.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Thanks BluSteel2012. I have to say, I have never been able to see the difference in 1080 Progressive and Interlaced scanning.
No worries. In my previous post I meant the U.S. transfer looks great even though it's cropped.

I haven't seen the UK Blu Ray, but I imagine if it's not full HD it must look pretty bad.

The U.S. edition has:

5-Scene Storyboards
Bookmark Ability

(*Also the UK commentary is different, it's not by the director but instead it's by producer Jeff Most and screenwriter John Shirley*)

Now the thing is, the UK version is only 1080i (which isn't 'full' HD) but the U.S. is 1080p but is cropped in some scenes. It still looks great though and not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for.

Thanks, now tell me where you're hiding @paulboland. :D

Reactions: Bunk
The U.S. edition has:

5-Scene Storyboards
Bookmark Ability

The differences between the UK and US releases were covered in some detail some pages back, including some links to other sites where comparisons had been made. I don't intend going over everything again since it's easy enough for people to read through the earlier posts.

However, people considering obtaining the UK release should be aware that in addition to being a 1080i transfer, it was apparently transferred from a PAL master and consequently suffers from the 4% PAL speedup, hence the shorter running time. Just for good measure, the UK release only has a lossy soundtrack and, yes, the image quality is execrable.

Anyone wanting a Steelbook of this title, who isn't averse to foreign text, then the German release is a good alternative. OOP but it can still be obtained at a reasonable price on the secondary market. The transfer is also far superior, in every respect, to the UK one.

I'm just going to pop my Canadian disc in this UK Steelbook :smug:

Really hope the Steelbook gets a good treatment though. Hopefully a clean back and inside art and I'll be a happy camper! :ohno:

The differences between the UK and US releases were covered in some detail some pages back, including some links to other sites where comparisons had been made. I don't intend going over everything again since it's easy enough for people to read through the earlier posts.

However, people considering obtaining the UK release should be aware that in addition to being a 1080i transfer, it was apparently transferred from a PAL master and consequently suffers from the 4% PAL speedup, hence the shorter running time. Just for good measure, the UK release only has a lossy soundtrack and, yes, the image quality is execrable.

Anyone wanting a Steelbook of this title, who isn't averse to foreign text, then the German release is a good alternative. OOP but it can still be obtained at a reasonable price on the secondary market. The transfer is also far superior, in every respect, to the UK one.

Thanks! I cancelled mine yesterday. While I do enjoy steelbooks, quality of the movie is on top of my criteria :)

Reactions: augustus
Now the thing is, the UK version is only 1080i (which isn't 'full' HD) but the U.S. is 1080p but is cropped in some scenes. It still looks great though and not noticeable unless you know what you're looking for

As @augustus mentioned, the issues are documented earlier in the thread. The difference between interlaced and Progressive is quite huge. There is a reason Interlaced discs are no longer made.
Put on a scene that has any camera movement or action, and an interlaced picture will start to strobe and stutter like a Muthaf**ker. No- there is a HUUUUUGE difference! (just read up).
And I can vouch for the Awesomeness of the German version!
image.jpg

Just cancelled this. I've got the German version and have it signed by James O'Barr. Can't justify buying another steel without knowing the rest of the artwork.

Reactions: C.C. 95