The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - In theaters December 14, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
From IMDB:
A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug.
With: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage and much much more...

Trailer:
[media=youtube]G0k3kHtyoqc[/media]

Old post:
In an article at Variety talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros.Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62637

Attachments

• THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
I felt the 9 years between movies has shown on both Ian Holm now 82 years young AND Christoper Lee 90. A credit to them for the performances that they put in.

True legends of cinema . An AMAZING cast and film non the less LOVED the Dwarves and Arzog the flaming Wargs I just LOVED everything about it :oohyeah: :D:drool:.

How long till the BLU RAY :drool:.

Since I just read the Hobbit this weekend about 3-4 at various points in the book. But it is never revealed who it is/was in the book, only that it is a tale for another time

Saw this yesterday in 3D HFR

firstly the film, a somewhat 'unexpected' disappointment

Not saying that it's a bad film, far from it but it really is padded out. It took quite a while to get into it. maybe it was the fact that i was expecting LOTR. I think the problem is that they are trying to make a small book into three part epic like LOTR was. When i saw FOTR on opening night, it blew me away! this didn't have that same impact. The film did get really good about halfway in and it looked like PJ had finally found his footing back in Middle Earth. Will need to watch it again i think before the second part comes out but i don't think an Extended Edition will help.

Film 3.75 out of 5

the new 3D HFR format

this was the selling point for me as a lover of cinema tech. Shot with 48fps instead of the traditional 24fps, I think The Hobbit shows that the new format still has bugs to iron out. When 3D came back into cinemas, it took a few releases for film makers to adapt to the new 3D format. The PQ was crystal clear, no doubt. but it looked like i was watching a really big TV in a shopping centre. I'm not the biggest fan of trumotion, motionflow whatever they call it but i have it turned off on my TV when watching films. Thde problem i found with the format was that any scenes that showed fast movement looked like it had an artifical speeded up look to it. totally distracting. The first half of the way had quite a lot of these issues. like i said, i think film makers will have to adapt and find new ways of filming to combat these issues if they want the format to take off. The film had such a polished sheen to it that it didn't look like a film at all. It looked like a TV film for most of it. Not saying that it's a total failure at al since there were a few scenes that looked absolutley incredible (fighing off the trolls in the cave and the great finale) but i think if i had the option to see it again, i would proberly watch The Hobbit in traditional 24fps and in 2D because if i'm being honest, there was quite a few moments when i totally forgot i was watching a 3D film as nothing was standing out that much. I will see the second part in 3D HFR (i like to see films how they were shot by the director) and see if they have made any improvments

@Drum18

I think the reason why Ian Holm looks totally different between the two films is because he had a battle with cancer after ROTK

Not 100% sure if that's correct but will double check but i think this is his first film after ROTK

Reactions: Drum18
@Drum18

I think the reason why Ian Holm looks totally different between the two films is because he had a battle with cancer after ROTK

Not 100% sure if that's correct but will double check but i think this is his first film after ROTK
Ohhhh.... :(
Didn't know... thought the makeup was just bad...

Those damn cancer... why do they exist... :angry:
Tx for the answer buddy!

i just saw this today at my theatre RPX HFR 3D, all i can say is awesome
the first thing i noticed was the logo when movie started, i said WOW, look at that lol.
i dont know what half of you are talking about lol.

i am 57 years old, i wear glasses, and the movie looked fantastic in HFR 3D,
i did not see ant ghosting or crosstalk anywheres, and i will watch the next 2 in HFR 3D as well :)

Very good movie IMO, never read the book and don't intend too.

Saw it in HFR 3D, whilst some shots were spectacular on the whole I wasn't very keen.....the realism is just too real. It looks so lifelike it's too unrealistic (if that makes sense)

Can't wait for the second part!

Saw this earlier and absolutely loved it! Really looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug. :D

I saw this movie in last week, and I absolutely loved it! Return to Middle Earth very, very successful. Well, the king of the goblins design could be better, Azog too. Humor okay, Radagast is cool, great music, awesome scene, Gollum - a revelation, and his the excitement in the last scene... And mega-epic flashbacks like in The Fellowship of the Ring sharpen the appetite for what awaits us in the following sections. The movie could have been shorter? No way, I love Jackson :D

Reactions: Drum18
I wonder if the hfr is making it to the BD. it would suck if not. I loved it in 3D much more than 2D. I even saw it in a theater that had shutter glasses and the effect was a lot smoother than the theater with no shutter glasses.

they should have NEVER made this movie..

one word = "SLOW". I fell asleep in the theater.

LOTR series trump this movie...no contest...