The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - In theaters December 14, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
From IMDB:
A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug.
With: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Andy Serkis, Richard Armitage and much much more...

Trailer:
[media=youtube]G0k3kHtyoqc[/media]

Old post:
In an article at Variety talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros.Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62637

Attachments

• THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    THE-HOBBIT-AN-UNEXPECTED-JOURNEY-Poster.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
I booked my tickets for Friday! They are opening a nice cool theater close by and it is reserved seating so I pulled the trigger. I scored some really nice seats.

Still not as excited for this as I thought I would be, but I'll be going to watch this

Same here. Not sure why Im not more excited to see this but Im just not, lol.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Midnight Hobbit

Nice! :) Do share your spoiler free thoughts about the movie. I would be curious to know if its similar to the 3rd LOTR movie as that was my favourite.

Saw it today in 3d with the high frame rate at a Regal RPX theater. I thought the HFR was really good. The picture quality was super clear and showed so much detail. I thought it may have even improved the 3d. Overall the movie was really good. If you enjoyed the Lord of The Rings, I think you will ike this movie as well.

Don't know what all the negative reviews are about. I saw The Hobbit today in regular 2D and the movie was excellent! I was skeptical about the film being split into three films but after watching the first part, there really is no way to make this film with 1 or 2 films. There is no filler - the first and second parts are just as exciting as the last part. This is a film "adaptation" so yeah, there are some additions, but this movie was amazing and also followed most of the first part of the book perfectly. This also has the same pace and flow as Fellowship too. I see no difference between the two. I don't know how someone could love Fellowship but not love this.

Just watch the film in 2D first. The look of the film is amazing and blends smoothly together. Watching it with the 3D soap opera technology does not sound like it helps the film one bit.

All the acting was perfect too. Martin Freeman is really outstanding as Bilbo. The only thing I thought was funny was how Wood shows up as Frodo, and it's sort of obvious that Elijah Wood looks older and bigger.

Azog is a very awesome addition as main villain by the way. I was trying to remember if he was even in the book so I researched online, and they say he's only mentioned briefly.
And the testicle chin Goblin King is great as well!

Can someone explain this to me:
where are they going with the Necromancer? Are they setting it up that he's actually Sauron by the end of the final Hobbit film or something?

I just got home from watching it on 3D loved it. My theater gave us shutter glasses and the 3D effects were pretty impressive. The movie was great, well written, acting was excellent, and the pacing was good. I was left wanting more.

toddly6666: I think they are doing just that so they can tie the Hobbit with LOTR in a way Tolkien didnt do (but wanted to).

I want to watch this in 2D, is the Star Trek 9 minute preview only for 3D IMAX, or is there a 2D IMAX version that will have this also?

Watched this last night really enjoyed it but really disliked HFR. I will not be watching any film in that format again

ill be watching this in 2D on release to enjoy it more.

Nice! :) Do share your spoiler free thoughts about the movie. I would be curious to know if its similar to the 3rd LOTR movie as that was my favourite.

I enjoyed it but I think the whole LotR saga has gotten a little tiresome. I'm about to re-read the whole series so I think that will re-enamor me to it.

As a side note. I saw this in a regular 2d screen and didn't have too many of the hfr issues others were talking about.

As a cool side story I went with a group of about 11 people, but going to the theater me and one friend left a bit earlier than the group since we wnated to get good seats. So we get there and we are entering behind a group of people seeing the movie in imax 3d and they were being handed these posters. So the ticket ripper is handing them out and gives one to us, then looks at our tickets and realizes we aren't seeing it in the imax theater so she makes us give them back. :( So my friend and I go into the theater and around 11:45 after talking about it decide to go back out to see if we can get them since we we upset that they were handed to us and then taken back. Again the woman says she can't give them to us because they only have enough for the people seeing the imax one. So I ask her if she has extras after the movie if we can have them, she says she is leaving at about 12:15, so I ask if we come back at 12:10 if we can get a set and she says to check back then.

So naturally my friend and I go back at like 12:04 right before the previews start and...

as we were walking back to our seats at least 5 poeple asked us how we got the poster which we just had to say we knew someone

picture.php

The same friend almost had won another poster but gave the wrong answer to the question, how old was Bilbo at the beginning of the fellowship of the ring.

He answered 33 for Frodo even though the answer asked for Bilbo which the guy who one technically gave the wrong answer of 111 even though before Fellowship Bilbo was 110 and then celebrates his birthday.

Don't know what all the negative reviews are about. I saw The Hobbit today in regular 2D and the movie was excellent! I was skeptical about the film being split into three films but after watching the first part, there really is no way to make this film with 1 or 2 films. There is no filler - the first and second parts are just as exciting as the last part. This is a film "adaptation" so yeah, there are some additions, but this movie was amazing and also followed most of the first part of the book perfectly. This also has the same pace and flow as Fellowship too. I see no difference between the two. I don't know how someone could love Fellowship but not love this.

Just watch the film in 2D first. The look of the film is amazing and blends smoothly together. Watching it with the 3D soap opera technology does not sound like it helps the film one bit.

Can someone explain this to me:
where are they going with the Necromancer? Are they setting it up that he's actually Sauron by the end of the final Hobbit film or something?

toddly6666: I think they are doing just that so they can tie the Hobbit with LOTR in a way Tolkien didnt do (but wanted to).

I agree the movie hfr was not as bothering to me. As to filler they did create Arzog as an extra enemy to thorin.

and in answer to your spoiler question

According to my friends who have read the books far more times than I ever will, the whole necromancer story line is added to these movies. The necromancer is Sauron, it is briefly mentioned in the hobbit that Gandalf leaves the group for some business (which is basically to fight Sauron) and returns for the battle of the five armies. The necromancer is mentioned in the LotR appendix. So in fact this is in both books but only as ancillary

Reactions: Jason Bourne
How AMAZING THE BEST FILM OF THE YEAR. Just breathtaking I am just WOOWWW. How a film should leave you with a warm loving glow that you have just witnessed something truly brilliant.

I enjoyed it but I think the whole LotR saga has gotten a little tiresome. I'm about to re-read the whole series so I think that will re-enamor me to it.

As a side note. I saw this in a regular 2d screen and didn't have too many of the hfr issues others were talking about.

Cool story about the posters! Nice add's. I suppose the LOTR saga thing is getting tiresome but I only watched the LOTR trilogy a year ago for the first time so its pretty new to me in that sense. I remember it was a year ago just about because I watched part 3 on X-Mas day 2011 with the family.

Ill be checking this out at some point. I definitely found a new (or refreshed you could call it) appreciation for "story-telling" and Peter Jackson's ability to do so on screen after watching the LOTR movies last year.

Loved the LOTR trilogy, can't wait for this to appear on Blu. I'm not a cinema goer, would rather watch it in peace with my kit at home. So much better than being disturbed at the cinema.

Watched the movie yesterday. In glorious 2D! :hilarious:
That's the way movie should be and should stay! Period.
Oh and got this:
Img_6640s.jpg

:scat:

First of all, I've got to tell you guys that I'm a true LOTR fan. Every year during the Christmas Holidays, I'm watching LOTR Ext. edition (this year is coming soon... :LOL:).
I've also read The Hobbit 3-4 times. I've read a few passage of "Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth" but didn't open "The Silmarillion".

After watching The Hobbit part1, I couldn't believe they've kept the same pace, the same feeling and all the great stuff that hooked me to this wonderfull franchise. Of course, the music is really similar since it's the same composer, but I guess it's ok since we're back in the same atmosphere...

Of course, throughout the journey, they've added some new character such as Azog (Orq chief) and developped some unknow to me such as the Radagast sorcerer (which was mentionned) and the Necromancer (which I have no idea where they are going with this... maybe Sauron/Witch King???).

Those "new" characters brings a lot more to the story since the book would be too simplistic to build entirely from. I loved those ideas since it helps us appreciate the dwarves more and more...

Now, seems like I'll be heading back to read again The Hobbit because I think there are some stuff that were changed but since my memory ain't good at all, I won't develop on stuff I'm not sure ;)

Can't believe we have 1 year to wait... :ohno:

Now, my only complaint:
bilbo-v-bilbo.jpg

Seriously... what happenned??? :angry:
This looks soooooo bad.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the movie yesterday. In glorious 2D! :hilarious:
That's the way movie should be and should stay! Period.

I've also read The Hobbit 3-4 times. I've read a few passage of "Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth" but didn't open "The Silmarillion".

Of course, throughout the journey, they've added some new character such as Azog (Orq chief) and developped some unknow to me such as the Radagast sorcerer (which was mentionned) and the Necromancer (which I have no idea where they are going with this... maybe Sauron/Witch King???).

Those "new" characters brings a lot more to the story since the book would be too simplistic to build entirely from. I loved those ideas since it helps us appreciate the dwarves more and more...

Now, seems like I'll be heading back to read again The Hobbit because I think there are some stuff that were changed but since my memory ain't good at all, I won't develop on stuff I'm not sure ;)

Can't believe we have 1 year to wait... :ohno:

I'm rereading the hobbit too. But now I have an 80 page jump on you :p

As to the extra orc character Azog, he is mentioned in the hobbit but his story is not as fleshed out as in the movie. See my earlier post concerning the necromancer.

After I roll through LotR I may have to go through the unfinished tales and the Silmarillion. I actually was about toput the LotR movies on but decided I would rather read the series again so ho hum here it goes

As to the extra orc character Azog, he is mentioned in the hobbit but his story is not as fleshed out as in the movie. See my earlier post concerning the necromancer.
Ah... didn't remembered at all Azog... didn't rang a bell... time to read The Hobbit again :p

and for the Necromancer, yeah, I've read your post... I'm curious to see how they're gonna develop this....

Its only one line, your granfather was killed by an orc named azog and that is it.

Thinking about it I am curious to see how they depicted Bilbo finding the ring in the hobbit compared to the flashback/beginning story in LotR. It seems they filmed them somewhat differently between the two movies