The Lion King (3D + 2D Blu-ray Lenticular SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

HUBMUSWELL

#Metal Hunter
Premium Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
London, UK
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live October 15 at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £24.99
Note: The Lion King 3D (Includes 2D Version) - Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition Steelbook (The Disney Collection #32) Blu-ray
Limited Edition 3,000

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can people who have Facebook and are p****** off wait until they post this on Zavvi...THEN rip them a new one

It's better as the page is more public

everyone wanted zavvi to get with the program and start producing lenti's and slips, but

r6Gml.gif

Yes I don't mind, do it with other films but this a joke, release so many Disney steelbooks then give up before releasing some great ones and just restart its a ***** thing to do and to be honest it's odd, as a number of them didn't sell and had to be given away buy one get one free (still pissed at that) and heavily reduced so to redo them seems crazy.

Zavvi
image.gif

We are still just talking about cartoon movies on shiny round discs, right? I don't think Mufasa would be pleased to see so many asterisks and ire in his thread. :)

Reactions: lgans316
It's just a bit disappointing when a set you thought was unique and collectable is then just rereleased better than your original and you do feel a bit sad and also bit foolish that you spent so much on them hoping your set would stay unique. Think everyone is allowed a little moan about it, although probably knowing zavvi we shouldn't have been so surprised :banghead:

Can't believe they haven't even released Lilo and Stitch originally? :(

• Thanks
Reactions: DrH and Bruckle
Yes it's great for people who didn't get them and who doesn't love the Lion King?

But what about the other lion king films? simba's pride is actually good :)

people who have been collecting these from the start now they choose to make the collection look odd by putting a lenticular magnets on them the 1/4 slips look nice already so why spoil it with magnets and face it zavvi's are not that good in all fairness imo,i like lentis but when you have been collecting all those 1/4 slip for so long and then they do this it's like a kick in ******* nuts :thumbs:

Reactions: Flash
people who have been collecting these from the start now they choose to make the collection look odd by putting a lenticular magnets on them the 1/4 slips look nice already so why spoil it with magnets and face it zavvi's are not that good in all fairness imo,i like lentis but when you have been collecting all those 1/4 slip for so long and then they do this it's like a kick ***** :thumbs:

Agreed it's a real shame they made something special I think they are some of the nicest steels and to see their uniqueness and value inevitably plummet is a real shame.

• Thanks
Reactions: pioneer
missed the first one but i don't pick this up since i don't want to support rereleases as long so many titles still missing from the first wave. I would pick up new titles as lenti though, just need to throw these ugly magnets away than.

Agreed it's a real shame they made something special I think they are some of the nicest steels and to see their uniqueness and value inevitably plummet is a real shame.

Right but the Disney steelbooks go far last traditional value in my opinion. I collected these for the love of the Disney classics. I don't feel bad about these new releases as I just won't get them. My steels lose no value in my eyes, but I'm not thinking with the intention of making money off them. I'm going to share them with my children. I'm going to display them proudly and impress any friend that ever comes over as they wont be aware of the lenti magnet ones anyway.

For other steels I definitely would agree with the value argument. But Disney steels have so much nostalgic value, I'm not bothered.

Brilliant news :thumbs:
Full size lenticular as on the "Hulk" steelbooks with no title on the front and I'll be happy.
Not sure about the choice of artwork but getting used to the idea of superimposing secondary characters on the main character / title ("Once Upon a Time in the West", "The Magnificent Seven" etc.).

My choice for the front cover would have been different, though, and would have been this poster which I've always liked with maybe the famous phrase "The king is dead, long live the king" somewhere on the front but I accept that it's not nearly as child-friendly as the image chosen:-
Poster artwork by JOHN ALVIN

Consistency in Disney steelbooks/packaging doesn't really exist and just remembering the 1/4 slipcovers for some of the earliest Disney Classics steelbook releases were plain colour blocked (no artwork) as well as missing the classic spine numbers (something which was soon remedied but which cropped up recently on "Treasure Planet" - a steelbook that should have had the # 43 on the spine of the slip) and there's also the style change recentlyof the numbers which are no longer inside the gold ovals :banghead:
In truth we've had so many different artwork styles and finishes on these Disney animation steelbooks but IMO the variety of styles and finishes is one of the major selling points of these Classics and nobody can accuse these steelbooks of being "samey".
Anyway IMO the Disney steelbooks themselves - and most of the films contained therein - are a joy and a delight for children of all ages and among some of the nicest steelbooks in my collection :)

Right but the Disney steelbooks go far last traditional value in my opinion. I collected these for the love of the Disney classics. I don't feel bad about these new releases as I just won't get them. My steels lose no value in my eyes, but I'm not thinking with the intention of making money off them. I'm going to share them with my children. I'm going to display them proudly and impress any friend that ever comes over as they wont be aware of the lenti magnet ones anyway.

For other steels I definitely would agree with the value argument. But Disney steels have so much nostalgic value, I'm not bothered.

My steels are also simply for my enjoyment, I open them, watch them, I never sell them and and simply just love Disney :thumbs:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: DrH and SlimJim24
Well for what it's worth i am very happy with this release. I missed all the Disney steels as I wasn't collecting back then so if they re released them it would be great for peeps like me.

And besides if they all had lentis it would be a totally new collection which you could decide to collect or not collect . I personally don't see the difference to when premium retailers release a full slip lenti and quarter slip. You can either collect 1 ,2 or them all

And pleaseeee ! Zavvi re-release Hercules. It was probably my all time favourite Disney movie as a kid and I can't justify paying £40+ for the it lol