The Pianist (Blu-ray SteelBook + DVD Audio) (Kimchidvd Exclusive #14)[Korea]

Which full slip cover art do you prefer?

• Artwork #1

Votes: 77 45.3%
  • Artwork #2

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Artwork #1

Votes: 76 44.7%
  • Artwork #2

Votes: 78 45.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
Release date: May 25th 2014
Price: US$36.99; No limit on order quantity
Buy links:
The Pianist - Full Slipcover (OOS)
The Pianist - Lenticular cover (OOS)
The Pianist - 1/4 slipcover (non exclusive) live !

Group Buy: Click here
Pre-order date and time:
View attachment 67981
Pre-order gift:
if you pre order full slipcover (if poll result is option#1), you can get full slipcover option#2 as free, pre-order gift. (vise versa)
Print run info:
- lenticular slipcover 1.5K
- full slipcover 1.5K
- 1/4 slip 0.5K (non-exclusive)

Notes: full high glossy with embossed title and hands, 2-disc edition - 1x blu-ray and 1x dvd audio
subtitles: Korean, English, Chinese (Both), French, Finnish, Swedish.

List of Kimchidvd Exclusive SteelBook Editions

1387775504471753.jpg

Full Slipcover Package:
13983321254592676.jpg

10154233_1528620660698479_2144388144118080906_n.jpg

Lenticular cover artwork and package:
1398331874096543.jpg

1398221485857726.gif

13877776732922111.jpg

13877779102871735.jpg

1388139329490457.jpg

Detailed Info:
Publisher :Contents Zone
ReleaseDate :
List Price :USD
Our Price :USD
You Save :USD
Year :2003 (국내개봉)
Stock Status:Coming Soon
Weight :g

Technical Information
Genre: Drama
Directors: Roman Polanski
Actors: Adrien Brody / Thomas Kretschmann / Frank Finlay
Aspect Ratio & Format: High Definition 1080p Widescreen Presentation 1.85:1
Language: English / French / Italian
Sound Mix: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch/DD 5.1
Subtitles: Korean / English / Chinese / French / Finnish / Swedish
Rating: 18
Region Code: all
Run Time: 148 mins
Number of discs: 2

Special Features
- Behind Story
- Piano performance
- Interview with Director & Cast
- Behind Scene
- Trailer

Additional information:
A brilliant pianist, a Polish Jew, witnesses the restrictions Nazis place on Jews in the Polish capital, from restricted access to the building of the Warsaw ghetto. As his family is rounded up to be shipped off to the Nazi labor camps, he escapes deportation and eludes capture by living in the ruins of Warsaw.

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise quite how bad Zavvi's steelbook for The Pianist was until I got the Kimchi version...

It really is pitiful!! Poor attempt Zavvi, poor attempt.
It was Studio Canal who design the Steelbook. So blame SC, not Zavvi.
And glorify Novamedia, not Kimchi on this.

So the KimchiDVD steelbook looks better than the StudioCanal steelbook... ok... but maybe mostly for the artwork on the disc... ok the hands embossed are nice... but maybe the external artwork on the StudioCanal steelbook fits better the drama of the movie instead of looking like a pure/neoclassical/romantic movie on a clever pianist and the majesty of his music within (maybe) his love stories... but however: do you really prefer to have a nicer packaging which contains a double language movie that doesn't has forced subtitles for the german speaking parts? So that you have to rewind each time they speak in german and turn on the english subtitles... especially in a movie where these parts are often cruel scenes that should break your breath instead of you breaking them to rewind to subtitle them? I like the Kimchi/NovaMedia packaging too but i think i'll boycott it and i'll choose the StudioCanal... that in plus has the screenplayer interview and the Szpilman's son interview... Don't you?

Reactions: Lutzo
I just picked one Pianist fullslip with bargain price more than year after it's release. I know I'm really late to the game, but better later than never. For me Zavvi version was never an option, since I never liked the artwork.

Yes but Zavvi sold it, that's bad enough for me!!!! Oh really? I didn't realise. They used to work together then?
Most of the earlier Kimchi Steelbooks exclusives were a Novamedia release given to Kimchi to sell

When Novamedia started up their online website shop Kimchi lost getting future exclusives and is part of the reason you don't see that many Kimchi exclusives as before

Zavvi don't make or design any steelbook artwork that's done by the film studios/distributor and then made by Scanavo
Zavvi on a few releases were they asked a film studio for a steelbook release to happen based on feedback for a release to happen and if approved by the film studio have suggested with a small number of releases if already produced artwork they have seen can be used but they don't do any actual artwork design of a steelbook itself or design any new artwork that's not been seen before

All Artwork steelbook design and decisions is done by the film studio and they may accept or reject any artwork suggestions and use artwork they want to be used instead

Most of the Zavvi steelbooks releases its the film studio offering Zavvi an UK retailer exclusive
Its mostly film studios who decide a steelbook release but a small number of these the artwork a suggestion of artwork has been requested and this has been either accepted or rejected by the film studio

Some releases are also rejected by the retailer when offered as an exclusive and these either end up with another retailer or on general sale or not released at all

I have both the Kimchi Steelbook Full Slip and the Zavvi Steelbook from StudioCanal
Both are good looking steelbooks and each one has its good and bad points

The best one for extras by the way is the UK StudioCanal Steelbook it has lot better video extras on the UK Disc compared to the Kimchi Korea Disc

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ultron96
It's not just a problem of extras, it's just an issue of missing forced subtitles for the German dialogues. If you may say that it was in the intentions of Roman Polanski to emphasize the sense of fear and incommunicability (that of course has been dramatically real as also surely there have been real people who didn't understand the commands of the german soldiers), in the final part of the film it is clear that these missing subtitles where not in the intentions of the director as the pianist talks together with the german general... in German.