Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 25, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Sold Out)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited To 2000 Copies

11349445-3644427009934414.jpg

11349445-9334427011284135.jpg 11349445-1084427010012111.jpg 11349445-2124427010147735.jpg
11349445-1494427010105114.jpg

Last edited:
the demand and prices for certain vhs will raise drastically in the future i'm almost sure about that. for many people it's the perfect way to watch, especially some of these 80' flicks.

Splitting my sides reading the last part of this thread and marvelling at the comparing of Blu-ray to obsolete formats . . . truly laughable . . . and there's a multitude of articles extolling the benefits of the HD format over the SD format:-
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/old-films-on-blu-ray-are-they-worth-it.html

Anyway, a brief overview of THE WARRIORS and the Blu-ray release can be seen here with mention of the previous DVD release http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/784/warriorsudc.html

As a lover of older films from the 1930's,1940's and 1950's (and earlier) I personally wouldn't dream of buying them on DVD when Blu-ray releases are available and, yes, I too dumped over 800 videos when the family home was sold in 1999 although all those contained films taped from the TV.
Then moved on to taping older films on to SVHS (2 films per tape) and still have 420 of those which I'm keeping and still play because the majority have not been granted Blu-ray releases here in the U.K. although I've bought a fair few of these on Blu-ray from The States (God bless America :thumbs:).
Bypassed DVD completely although find myself with quite a few now thanks to Eureka, BFI and other Dual Format releases :banghead:

Last edited:
sorry but the article is just totally missing the point why some people and even some filmmakers dislike the bluray version of certain titles. nobody would disagree they look sharper and cleaner but thats exactly the problem, it let you see details that wasnt ment to be shown and this 'better' look can also take away the whole atmosphere, at least for me and few others.

Last edited:
Because it's a fact that not every film looks amazing in HD which is what you was disagreeing with. It's a fact

I've only seen warriors on VHS 20ish years ago and the film suits that feel IMO

Whether it can look good or it does look good is completely different. A lot of things could be great (not just films) but unfortunately that's not the truth

while it is true that still not every film looks amazing in HD (because of the source material, or because the studio messed around with a good master in digitally waxed away the natural film grain or tried to make it look "super sharp" with edge enhancement) - it s NOT true that not any film's look would improve drastically by higher bitrate of a blu-ray or more colour depth, compared to a dvd. blu-ray is able to preserve the film's natural look for the first time in history on a home media format.
think of PA's oldboy new 4k transfer again. you said you didn't like the heavy grain, but for me it looks very natural and not disturbing when projected with a beamer, and the heavy noise that is present in the screenhots you took was down to some extra digital processing in your TV that's not able to process natural film grain in high resolution properly. you like the DVD more because the resolution is lower and it looks better on your TV. fair enough. but the new scan is still a huge improvement when played in a "neutral" way (i.e. a TV that doesn't try to make a mpvie shot on film look like it was shot digitally).

if people prefer the vintage oldschool look of VHS in 4:3 for old movies, mostly for nostalgic reasons, i can totally understand that. but blu-ray can offer the best of both worlds - natural film look preserved as intended and originally shown in theaters (if not altered or "corrected" digitally) + a higher resolution than on vhs/dvd.

one of the very few examples where dvd looks better than blu-ray:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3404&d2=3401&s1=31330&s2=31288&i=8&l=0

just because the blu-ray is dnr'd to death, and while dvd shows low resolution, at least some of the film grain is still there.

Reactions: lgans316
Actually that is an opinion and a pretty bad one at that.

It's a fact mate. I'm very liberal and admit if I'm wrong. There is no way every film will look perfect. Fact. If that were the case it would be awesome

New PA oldboy for example, looks good in some places and terrible in others, regardless of how it was filmed that's not the best to how we would like to see it. No grain etc.
If every film looked as clear as avatar (for example) then yeah every film would be perfect and I wouldn't be saying fact

while it is true that still not every film looks amazing in HD (because of the source material, or because the studio messed around with a good master in digitally waxed away the natural film grain or tried to make it look "super sharp" with edge enhancement) - it s NOT true that not any film's look would improve drastically by higher bitrate of a blu-ray or more colour depth, compared to a dvd. blu-ray is able to preserve the film's natural look for the first time in history on a home media format.
think of PA's oldboy new 4k transfer again. you said you didn't like the heavy grain, but for me it looks very natural and not disturbing when projected with a beamer, and the heavy noise that is present in the screenhots you took was down to some extra digital processing in your TV that's not able to process natural film grain in high resolution properly. you like the DVD more because the resolution is lower and it looks better on your TV. fair enough. but the new scan is still a huge improvement when played in a "neutral" way (i.e. a TV that doesn't try to make a mpvie shot on film look like it was shot digitally).

if people prefer the vintage oldschool look of VHS in 4:3 for old movies, mostly for nostalgic reasons, i can totally understand that. but blu-ray can offer the best of both worlds - natural film look preserved as intended and originally shown in theaters (if not altered or "corrected" digitally) + a higher resolution than on vhs/dvd.

one of the very few examples where dvd looks better than blu-ray:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3404&d2=3401&s1=31330&s2=31288&i=8&l=0

just because the blu-ray is dnr'd to death, and while dvd shows low resolution, at least some of the film grain is still there.

I never said the DVD version would be better than the Blu Ray. I said the feel of it suits some films better.

I haven't watched VHS in about 15 years but I was stating that some films have that vintage look and works better not being in HD

That's all

But it's fact not every film will loll perfect in Blu Ray (due to source material and other things)

Fact

Last edited:
Hopefully today is the day when we see if the steelbook is an almost replica of the Australian 2008 DVD steelbook or something better with proper framed image, glossy steelbook or spot gloss on the warriors and embossing on the title and/or the front row warriors.

This has a high chance of been embossed and spot gloss as so far all the paramount steelbooks with the slipcase the steelbooks themselves have been embossed with spot gloss

The Universal range steelbooks with slipcase the steelbooks have been matte finish with no embossing

Warriors is a Paramount release

It's a fact mate. I'm very liberal and admit if I'm wrong. There is no way every film will look perfect. Fact. If that were the case it would be awesome

New PA oldboy for example, looks good in some places and terrible in others, regardless of how it was filmed that's not the best to how we would like to see it. No grain etc.
If every film looked as clear as avatar (for example) then yeah every film would be perfect and I wouldn't be saying fact

I never said the DVD version would be better than the Blu Ray. I said the feel of it suits some films better.

I haven't watched VHS in about 15 years but I was stating that some films have that vintage look and works better not being in HD

That's all

But it's fact not every film will loll perfect in Blu Ray (due to source material and other things)

Fact

speak for yourself please. if your TV can't handle film grain how it's supposed to look, then you can hardly say it's a fact that it looks "terrible in some scenes". and if you prefer older films' grain waxed away or made invisible by low resolution rather than to preserve it, then i gotta tell you you're in the minority amongst film collectors.

speak for yourself please. if your TV can't handle film grain how it's supposed to look, then you can hardly say it's a fact that it looks "terrible in some scenes". and if you prefer older films' grain waxed away or made invisible by low resolution rather than to preserve it, then i gotta tell you you're in the minority amongst film collectors.

I don't just watch films on my tv.

Not every film looks great in HD lol

I'm not going over this over and over

• Thanks
Reactions: severo