Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 10th, 2014
Purchase link: The Wrestler
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

11029396-1413201476-495378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess what it comes down to is the fact that the UK hasn't had a steelbook for this film before, so that's probably what the studios and retailers are mainly thinking about. Good to know they're considering all/most countries, if that is indeed the case. ;)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Bluprint
well, I had the german steel, which imo was poor.
I have the can release which has a region locked disc and bilingual spine - 2 things which spoil it for me.
I have the PA release which is ok, but the steel itself isn't really to my taste.
this could turn out to be the best one so far for me, if its glossy with a decent finish.

the old chestnut always pops up regarding re-releases, but to be fair, not everyone likes imports.
plenty of folk like to buy from within the uk, and not risk import/cusomt fees or damaged steels.
it IS the first UK steel, so its not really a re-release.
in fact, for the uk market, there have been very few steelbook re-releases.
scott pilgrim jumps to mind, but the first release had a printed back (which lots of us dislike)

Reactions: snooloui
I'm here to simply express the same opinion of others. This title has already been released quite a few times. Honestly, the PA version is the best one and fairly new. Why can't they release more no-SB-at-the-moment titles. I personally would like to see the Ocean trilogy and more dramas like Pursuit of Happyness, The Book Thief, Flight, etc.

I'm here to simply express the same opinion of others. This title has already been released quite a few times. Honestly, the PA version is the best one and fairly new. Why can't they release more no-SB-at-the-moment titles. I personally would like to see the Ocean trilogy and more dramas like Pursuit of Happyness, The Book Thief, Flight, etc.

If you consider all of the titles that had artwork revealed yesterday, The Wrestler is the only one that has been done before. The Butterfly Effect, Drag Me To Hell, Kill List, The Others, Seraphim Falls and They Live are all new to Steelbook. Is that not enough new titles?

After seeing the Plain Archive SteelBook, I kind of had high expectations for this, but alas... I am nothing but disappointed! The Plain Archive SteelBook is one which you would always want at the front of your shelves on display full-frontal, but this one is one you would like to bury deep two layers behind

If you consider all of the titles that had artwork revealed yesterday, The Wrestler is the only one that has been done before. The Butterfly Effect, Drag Me To Hell, Kill List, The Others, Seraphim Falls and They Live are all new to Steelbook. Is that not enough new titles?
You are right Sir. Yes, they gave us more new titles. I suppose I am criticizing Zavvi too harsh for releasing one title that's already been done before. It's just that my wonder is regarding duplication in general. Quite frankly, out of those list, I am only half interest in Seraphim Falls and finding the rest unexciting, so I was a bit bias in my opinion. :cool:

Reactions: snooloui
Exactly. The constant thread crapping is tiresome.

Levi does have a point in every thread he posts in though. He seems to tell it like it is, something a lot of Zavvi fanboys on this site seem to be too scared to do. It's as if everyone else is pleased to be getting ***** because at least they're getting the attention, whereas Levi is the one willing to stand up for what he believes. Give the guy a break.

Some people don't like spending $50-$60 + postage on Asian steels so have to settle for a cheaper option, yes this steelbook isn't the best but neither is the PA version, matte finish no embossing and a dodgy title spread across the front and back, zavvi get crucified whenever they release a matte non embossed steelbook yet Asian retailers get praised.

Some people don't like spending $50-$60 + postage on Asian steels so have to settle for a cheaper option, yes this steelbook isn't the best but neither is the PA version, matte finish no embossing and a dodgy title spread across the front and back, zavvi get crucified whenever they release a matte non embossed steelbook yet Asian retailers get praised.

I expressed my disappointment for The Wrestler's PA steelbook art, including the matte finish, but it's still better than this, especially once you include the slips, art cards, leather sticker, etc. The other difference is the matte finish for the PA version is high quality, not washed out/thin/dull like a lot of Studiocanal/Zavvi steels.

This will most likely will be a gloss finish as all recent studio canal releases have been a gloss finish

I buy releases from Asia but not everyone does and the price of this will be a lot less than Plain Archive

This will be purchased by some collectors who already collect steelbook and new collectors

This is a Zavvi release a UK exclusive so its not been released before in the UK
Plain Archive is a Korean exclusive

Lots of Steelbook releases get released in lots of countries some with same artwork and some with different artwork

You decide if you want a release by either buying it or not

Your not been forced into buying any release you have a choice and choice is good

Reactions: justhedudeman
I don't mind the artwork but only massive fans of the film or completionist's would consider this if they had the PA release imo

one thing to throw at all those grumbling about "re-releases".
if you read the small print on your imports, it probably states that, by LAW, it is not for sale outside of its country of origin.
that would, in one small sense make you criminals.
now, I do collect steels from all over the world (so yes I am also as much of a criminal) but one thing that is out of order, is complaining about a UK first release of a title in steelbook, on the basis of there being a release elsewhere in the world - and in plenty of cases, those imports may have region locked discs (so no use for anyone with a regular player) or they may have lots of foreign text (like the german steels usually do), or have region free discs, but with no option to actually watch the film in English properly (like pianist)
whats wrong with having an English friendly release?
as I said before, the other steelbook releases of this are substandard in my opinion. This artwork for me is the best yet, so I will be buying.
I haven't checked, but have the blufans avengers steels got plenty of negative feedback? I would imagine not lol.

And no, I'm not a zavvi fan. I think they do too many steels. I also think they choose some poor films to put out as steels, but for now, they are the best outlet we have on the UK.

and anyway, even if a title gets an 'actual' re-release, surley if it improves on the earlier release then it will be welcomed (anybody NOT want a die hard with a vengeance steel to match the other 3)
and kick ass (the re-release is far nicer than the boring first release)

of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to keep "re-releasing" that same opinion on multiple different threads gets old.
What you should be campaigning for is for there be no more European/Asian/american release steelbooks - that way a UK release won't have to be a "re-release"