Treasure Planet: The Disney Collection #35 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: February 15th, 2016
Purchase link: Treasure Planet
Price: £19.99

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Disney Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

11208801-4244347453798387.jpg

11208801-2054347453821202.jpg 11208801-1074347453811482.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Flloydo, I think after all the 'bait and switch' games that have gone on with the zavvi Disney artworks (showing a stunning prelim artwork with a spine title only for it to be switched out long into the pre-order period once everyone's already preordered it with lacklustre artwork and no title on the spine) I was just relived that for once a stunning artwork has actually materialised! My copy of this arrived today and it really is beautiful.

Sorry if my post came across flippant or rude at all by the way, it wasn't written with the intention to, but reading it back it occurred to me it could be read that way, that's the trouble with the Internet, all intonation is lost!

I agree with you Flloydo, I think after all the 'bait and switch' games that have gone on with the zavvi Disney artworks (showing a stunning prelim artwork with a spine title only for it to be switched out long into the pre-order period once everyone's already preordered it with lacklustre artwork and no title on the spine) I was just relived that for once a stunning artwork has actually materialised! My copy of this arrived today and it really is beautiful.

Sorry if my post came across flippant or rude at all by the way, it wasn't written with the intention to, but reading it back it occurred to me it could be read that way, that's the trouble with the Internet, all intonation is lost!

No not rude, just wasn't sure you originally understood What I meant. Yeah it's a lovely steel, I'm a fan of the majority of the disney steels anyway but I'm sick of paying full price and they end up in a deal from little as a week later in some cases so I'll wait now until a BOGOF or price drop like i have with the last 6 or 7 (live action included with that too though)

And you have to admit with them all lined up this looks weird without a small spine character square.
It's odd they left it off

Tron has one, but Tron: Legacy doesn't.

In fact, a lot of the recent Disney steelbooks don't. John Carter, Mr. Banks and The Muppets don't have pictures on the spine. It's annoying though that there's no consistency with this release compared to the other Disney classics (excluding title-less steelbooks. By and large they've all matched. That said...

Aladdin doesn't have the Disney title on the spine.
Cars 2 has BBFC/IRL certificates (admittedly an early release, and HMV not Zavvi).
Monsters University has the Blu-ray logo sideways.

Treasure Planet has a Blu-ray logo at the top rather than the standard Disney Blu-ray logo, the spine title is far too low compared to the others (although they're a bit all over the place anyway) and there's no picture on the spine. Don't be surprised to see any further classics follow suit with this design.

Reactions: Flloydo
Tron has one, but Tron: Legacy doesn't.

In fact, a lot of the recent Disney steelbooks don't. John Carter, Mr. Banks and The Muppets don't have pictures on the spine. It's annoying though that there's no consistency with this release compared to the other Disney classics (excluding title-less steelbooks. By and large they've all matched. That said...

Aladdin doesn't have the Disney title on the spine.
Cars 2 has BBFC/IRL certificates (admittedly an early release, and HMV not Zavvi).
Monsters University has the Blu-ray logo sideways.

Treasure Planet has a Blu-ray logo at the top rather than the standard Disney Blu-ray logo, the spine title is far too low compared to the others (although they're a bit all over the place anyway) and there's no picture on the spine. Don't be surprised to see any further classics follow suit with this design.

You know what, I never even noticed with John Carter or tron legacy (got them on a seperate shelf). I don't own the muppets (got the viva instead as was aware that didn't have one anyway)

It's not just Zavvi (although with true Zavvi exclusives then yes, it is just them), but something that effects all online retailers.

Ironically, Treasure Planet looks like the mock-up, but they did change the image for The Good Dinosaur after pre-orders started and we all remember the Maleficent debacle. Do any of us really think The Force Awakens will look like the image on Zavvi's (and everyone else's) website? Of course not. It's a Disney release. If it has a title on the spine (it's currently showing without one on the front though) I'll be amazed.

Reactions: Flash
I couldn't care less about a thumbnail picture or a logo, but no title on the spine makes ZERO sense.

It drives me crazy on The Lone Ranger..
I think that and Thor: The Dark World are the only steelbooks I have that are title-less.

Reactions: Flash
Cancelled mine awhile ago but a bit disturbing to read here that TREASURE PLANET is missing the classic number on its slip (No.42) and would like to see an actual pic of the O-ring spine . . .

Let's not forget that the first 3 Disney Classics did not have numbered spines on the quarter slipcovers - THE JUNGLE BOOK, THE LITTLE MERMAID and FANTASIA - and the first two of these have much shallower slips.
Don't know if these have been re-released with numbered spines and the first two with deeper slips to match the others in the collection?
First Disney U.K. steelbook with numbered spine, as far as I can remember, was DUMBO (No.4) and all came numbered after that with the numbers in gold/yellow ovals (until recently when the style was changed :( )
Certainly wouldn't expect Disney at this stage to omit the number now that collections are on the way to completion - but then again . . .long term watchers of Disney BDs know by now to expect the unexpected and to not expect consistency, with different style numbering, random slipcovers for certain numbers, slipcovers originally only with Double Play/Anniversary editions etc. etc. etc.
We all know Disney has one aim and one aim alone by doing this.

Last edited:
Cancelled mine awhile ago but a bit disturbing to read here that TREASURE PLANET is missing the classic number on its slip (No.42) and would like to see an actual pic of the O-ring spine . . .

There's a picture of the J-card spine (if that's what you mean) on page 4 of the Star Wars Rebels steelbook thread.

I don't think anyone is going to complain to Disney, and doing so wouldn't get them anywhere anyway. They know we don't like spines with no titles on them, but still they come as it's cheaper to produce them that way for multiple territories, and they still sell. No amount of complaining about this is going to get them to send out a new J-card. As far as they'll be concerned, steelbooks are designed to be opened with cardboard bits thrown away (which, let's be honest is true), and what most purchasers do.

So then what? Ask them for a new spine with a different logo at the top and a picture at the bottom? It's never going to happen. This was a conscious design choice and Disney have never been consistent. Lionsgate wouldn't do anything about the spine for for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (and that was an actual production error, not a design choice) so there's no way anything will be done about this.

Reactions: Ricker and virkia
I don't care about the slips as I make my own fullslips for all my steelbooks...

... but the art in the back of this steelbook... wow... I really DO care about it.