War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 13) [Hong Kong]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: January 19, 2018
Purchase links: Full Slip - Single Lenti - Double Lenti - Box Set (Pre-order December 22 at 8 PM - HKT, UTC+8)
Price: $46.99 (Full Slip - Double Lenti) - $45.99 (Lenti) - $145.97 (Box Set)
Group buy: Hosted by Aniv Box Set - Double Lenti - Lenti - Full Slip

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
[ME#13] War For The Planet of The Apes Steelbook Pre-order Announcement - www.mantalab.comDear Customers,
Thanks for joining our Anniversary Sale and Giveway Event. We should have been more prepared for both but we are very sorry. The shipping has been delayed significantly compared to our normal status and we feel sorry about this as well. We will prepare better next year. Today, we are announcing our last pre-order of 2017. War For The Planet of The Apes is our 13th exclusive and first of the trilogy we are planning to finish in 2018. As we've announced, "Rise" is under design and we hope to introduce it soon. Please look below for more details.

1. Pre-order Date: 8PM, December 22nd, 2017 (HKT, GMT+8)
2. Release Date: January 19th, 2017
3. Print Run (2000 units for both Domestic and International)
(Limited to 2 Copies per Customer for each edition and 1 for One Click)
*Full Slip(2D+4KUHD)($46.99): 200 Units
*Lenticular Full Slip(2D+3D)($45.99): 300 Units
*Double Lenticular Full Slip($46.99) : 300 Units
*One Click ($145.97): 400 Sets (Includes all editions, Matching Numbers)
4. Goodies
- Slips: Full sized Booklet, Character Cards, Post Cards, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Sticker, Exclusive Lenticular Sticker, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker
5. Effects
- Full Slip: High Quality Full Slip + Spot Glossy + Spot Matte + Embossing + Spot Foil
- Lenticular Full Slip: Super Clear 3D Lenticular + High Quality Full Slip + Spot Matte +Spot Glossy + Embossing
- Lenticular Full Slip: Super Clear 3D Lenticular x 2 + High Quality Full Slip + Spot Matte +Spot Glossy + Embossing
- One Click Box: Fully Grained Black Faux Leatther Box with Red Foil Hot Stamping

Please check our website for more information on our website
www.mantalab.com
Thank you!
Best regards,
Manta Lab

Last edited by a moderator:
If Manta Lab aren't able to clearly state to potential buyers whether the discs will be Region A locked or Region Free, or say they can't know until after release date, then they should be out of business.

This might have been answered elsewhere but why do Manta Lab region lock titles that are available worldwide?
It's not Manta who region lock discs that's done by whoever is the film distributor in Hong Kong for each release

Manta Labs are only involved in the artwork of the steelbooks and Full Slips Lenti etc not the discs

This is a Fox release and is Region Free in USA and Europe
Asia is listed as Region A but I not seen yet if tested to see if region free

Asia releases some Blu-ray releases that are region free in USA and Europe can be region locked in Asia it has nothing to do with the retailers

Some Asia releases it's not known until released and tested if region locked or not

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: harry and PUNISHER
You’ll need to PM the GB host (@Aniv ) and ask if he will allow you to cancel.
I tried that and the reply was that they have payed Manta Lab for my order already but if I want to find someone in US who wants to pay me for it then they can change the shipping address? Sounds an odd way to handle it if u ask me as I haven't even payed shipping yet. Think it'll be easier just to sell on eBay afterwards. Thanks anyway, was worth a try

• Thanks
Reactions: cooey
I tried that and the reply was that they have payed Manta Lab for my order already but if I want to find someone in US who wants to pay me for it then they can change the shipping address? Sounds an odd way to handle it if u ask me as I haven't even payed shipping yet. Think it'll be easier just to sell on eBay afterwards. Thanks anyway, was worth a try

It’s not odd at all. As a GB host we have to place the order with MantaLab who then bill the GB host for that allocation of product, so yes, MantaLab would’ve already been paid. Shipping is a separate factor.

I passed on this release as well. 1.Crazy prices (shipping cost to NL from Manta is highest from all the retailers ( 15 usd)) , 2. High possibility of scratched steelbook, and 3. FA has better slips and steelbook, so pretty much nobrainer for me.

Btw single lenti is still available, one day after preorder, that says something I think...:whistle::coffee:

I passed on this release as well. 1.Crazy prices (shipping cost to NL from Manta is highest from all the retailers ( 15 usd)) , 2. High possibility of scratched steelbook, and 3. FA has better slips and steelbook, so pretty much nobrainer for me.

Btw single lenti is still available, one day after preorder, that says something I think...:whistle::coffee:

Nr. 2 is my main reason. Ok, i ordered this before i received my scratched WW. But first i need a mint steelbook from Manta before i order another ML edition. Btw, i opened my Logan Fullslip and scratches AND many paint issues too.....tonight i write a long email to John from ML

Buying from Manta is not an option for me anymore, right now. I won't give a compamy my hard earned money again, which does not really care about QC issues. In the past they pretended that the releases have been delayed, because they were not satisfied with the quality of slips etc. That is a joke considering that most steels they ship are covered in scratches. I am done with them for now. We have to be consequent, otherwise the companies will continue doing this. Moreover there are many alternatives by now....And shipping out replacements does not really help nor is it a good customer service, if they do not deliver a mint product in the first place. Replacements are needed in case the product is damaged during shipment or gets lost, but not to replace a product that was already shipped in a damaged condition.

The whole scratch issue with Manta has been a problem with me on every Exclusive release that I’ve had from them. However, a quick email to John and I get a mint replacement Steelbook. In terms of customer service they are great but that does not dispute the fact that they need to sort out their QC issues, especially considering almost every one of their releases is delayed for one reason or another.

Yeah, a delay doesn't bother me too much, if in the end they deliver a mint product. But shipping out damaged steels is not a good customer service, even if they get replaced.

When we talk about customer service, it usually means after sales service.
So I think friendly and immediate response and smooth replacement process do mean good customer service.
But it's bad QC indeed.

• Thanks
Reactions: misformatt
Think they shot themselves in the foot with this release the QC on WW was not good and this release screems desperation due to the fac annocement
It could have waited til Jan
Bad time of year for pre order

If Manta Lab aren't able to clearly state to potential buyers whether the discs will be Region A locked or Region Free, or say they can't know until after release date, then they should be out of business.
Region Free this I believe as with all from ML . . . with two exceptions - THE REVENANT and LA LA LAND
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pity there's no standout artwork for this film . . . and these two steelbooks are proof of that . . . developing a sneaking admiration for the WWA for trying something different artwork-wise.
ML white slipcover looks good and certainly better than the similar-ish FA white example:-
upload_2017-12-23_17-57-37.png
vs.
upload_2017-12-23_18-7-29.png

. . . and being white any scratches won't show too much :thumbs:

RE: CUSTOMER SERVICE & QUALITY CONTROL:-
. . . and as the bloke writes above about receiving mint ML replacements for scratched originals the after service CS seems to be good with them.
Of course, doesn't help if the items are OOS/OOP leaving the collector with only one unsatisfactory and maddening option - a full refund.
Secondary market often an option but obviously not ideal with these products produced in very limited quantities and does not lessen the pain caused by the slack quality control of the retailer.

RE: QUALITY CONTROL - Obviously the retailer cannot check every single copy of all print runs and according to the rules of QC must pick out and check an agreed percentage of examples and no more.
QC Quote:-
upload_2017-12-23_18-49-30.png

I can only assume that ML did this and all copies checked were fine . . . and as we know from pics there are as many perfect examples out there as imperfect.
This very generous approach - giving ML the benefit of the doubt - is however patently unfair on the customers who have received previous ML scratched packages . . .

Still find it hard to understand how the "new boy on the block" could have allowed things to get so out of hand that they are alienating customers who would otherwise have bought their products.
On the other hand, with so many copies from each run remaining sealed and with print runs being so limited with guaranteed sell-out sooner rather than later I can only conclude that they do not give a f*** in general about their customers and in particular about their loyal and now dwindling fanbase.

Quote:-
"Characteristics of Good Customer Service
Customer service is the act of taking care of the customer's needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during, and after the customer's requirements are met. Customer service is meeting the needs and desires of any customer.

• Promptness: Promises for delivery of products must be on time. Delays and cancellations of products should be avoided.

• Professionalism: All customers should be treated professionally, which means the use of competence or skill expected of the professional. Professionalism shows the customer they're cared for."

Last edited:
Reactions: Radagast
At least people finding their Steelbooks are scratched means they're actually opening their movies now :rofl:

For the longest time I've been saying the QC for Asian Steelbooks is piss poor. I can safely say none of my Asian exclusive Steels are in mint condition whether it's BluFans or Kimchi or Nova; it's across the board. I've had issues going back to stuff like Kimchidvd's The Pianist, and newer releases still have the same problems, although I think it has gotten better. I'm not writing in defence of Manta (I only have two of their releases, and one of them has scratches abound), but I think the crappy QC that you get with all Asian Steelbooks should be taken into consideration. For whatever reason Manta seems to get the most heat for it though, and I actually think it's a good thing--it's a message to all premium retailers that you gotta up your game to stay in the game.