What if....

The biggest Plasma I could find .... or maybe a top notch LCD ... but I really like the high clarity pristine picture that plasmas provide.

EEK!

Plasma > LCD

I'm not a sports nut, and I want my movies to look awesome, not over saturated or unnaturally bright.

I bleev you have started a rift in the force...

Pfft .. any Joe knows Sports look better on a plasma than an LCD ... damn, Rick lost some points.

:hilarious: I say from expericance. I have had both Plasma and LCD. Both very good sets. The picture is just better on a LCD for sports. Its smoother and better in everyway. Now movies do look better on a Plasma. I'm more of a sports guy. If I watch movies I have a projector for that ;)

EEK!

Plasma > LCD

I'm not a sports nut, and I want my movies to look awesome, not over saturated or unnaturally bright.

I bleev you have started a rift in the force...

that's what settings are for. I'm very happy with my Sony XBR since I got the correct settings for it. I'd consider waiting to see that happens with 3D technology tho.

that's what settings are for. I'm very happy with my Sony XBR since I got the correct settings for it. I'd consider waiting to see that happens with 3D technology tho.

Settings are great at lowering brightness and contrast, and even some color options will help round out the roughness, but in general I've seen more color crushing on LCD displays than Plasma's. That said, it is an inherent problem in *most* sets all around and I do agree that once a LCD or Plasma is properly calibrated the average joe isn't going to have a problem looking at either sets.

Until the recent shmooze of Samsung LCD's the biggest argument has been black levels. Plasmas have a great advantage to this since they are low-luminance by design where LCD's backlight has always left a dim grey. With the new LED backlight tech that turns off individual LEDs in the backlight it can appear there is much blacker blacks on the screen... I would argue this is coming close, but just isn't quite achieving what a plasma can achieve.

It's all relative since either set is going to get you a great picture as T.V.s have come very far, but when my dollar falls it falls for a plasma.

:box:

Now I'm going to go nurse my hangover.

I was at my Dad's and he has a samsung LCD with the motion technology or whatever and it just looked sooo unreal how smooth it was.

Like a head would turn but do it in a freaky ghost like slow motion - yet fast - turn.

Just didn't look natural, but I guess peeps get used to it!

So then you dont like how BD's look in 1080p/24?

What does 1080p/24p have to do with motion settings on a TV? increasing the number of hertz or motion settings doesn't impact the amount of frames displayed does it?

If you are at 1080p/24p aren't you static and only displaying 24 frames? I think you might be confusing this Rick, I might be wrong too can someone enlighten me please?

Well Sports on with on 120htz Tv looks very close to what movies look like in 24p. Giving it that smooth look. To most it looks un-natural because our eyes have been so used to 60fps. Once used to it there is no going back for me. There is no way ill watch my sports on 60fps.