What will become the next Holy Grail Steelbook

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
This can be impossible to predict but with small print runs and many major Steelbook giants like Play & HMV going down maybe you're holding the next Holy Grail right now. So which one of the recent Steelbooks do you predict being the next Holy Grail's?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by a moderator:
With all the Asian steel lovin folks here, I'm surprised no one mention Captain America TW. The last 2 I watched got bidded to around the $500 mark. I personally was very impressed. If there was one, that would be my pick. I notice that in any form of collecting (comics, video games etc), 99% of the "grails" appear very early on. Asking what will be the next grail for current releases is equivalent to asking what modern comic will be the next Action comic #1 (1st Superman).

The good news is, we're still so very early in the steelbook collectible market, 5-6 years at most? Other forms of collectibles, such as sports cards and comic books have been around for nearly a century. So whose to say that another grail will not appear. Whats impressive about our hobby is how fast the price have risen. It took decades for the other collectibles to establish themselves. With steels, something a guy paid $29.99 for 5 years ago now gets bidded up to $1000 - $1500. Very very impressive.

Lol. I apologize to all you hard core fans out there :)

Okay. I'm all over the JP release. No more missin the avengers releases then paying out the arse later

Lol. I apologize to all you hard core fans out there :)

Okay. I'm all over the JP release. No more missin the avengers releases then paying out the arse later

Capt America 2 movie is expected in April 2014. IM 3 is mid 2013 and Thor 2 is end 2013. The Avengers franchise seems to be growing. We can expect more Avengers related steels to be issued.

My first thought for next holy grail would have been Farewell My Concubine but I don't think the movie is that popular really. Even now you could find the steelbook for a pretty good price.

Other than that steelbook I have no idea what could become next holy grail. Definitely not Iron Man play.com steelbook. It's pretty common and not hard to find at all. And it's pretty cheap actually.

I don't think John Rambo is that popular or good either.

Too early to call.. but I think the Elite Squad blufans VMB has a chance. Last VMB, Worldwide limited to 500(another 500 not blufans(correct?), and already fetching over 100$ on ebay.

I don't think there will be another grail. Too many people buying and keeping sealed copies to sell down the line. Not like when the grails were released when people didn't realise the potential value.

I don't think there will be another grail. Too many people buying and keeping sealed copies to sell down the line. Not like when the grails were released when people didn't realise the potential value.

I agree 100%!! Also I don't think ANY of these overexpensive Asian steels will ever be grails, because they have no mass appeal whatsoever.

Too many speculators in the game now. Many argue that prices will only go up. I do recall hearing this about housing in the US. Many argued that values would never decrease. Then 2008 - 09 came along and this was proven to be wrong. There are too many examples out there....Apple just to mention the most recent one.
There are very few real exclusives. That has been the main driver in grail prices. I do believe only a true exclusive will have a chance to become a grail.

Reactions: Flip

Can you elaborate on this statement? I highly disagree on it

I do have some of this "so called grails" about 10 to 20 copies. An I dont sell them

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on this statement? I highly disagree on it

I do have some of this "so called grails" about 10 to 20 copies. An I dont sell them

You have 10-20 copies of Iron Man FS, Le Grande Bleue and John Rambo amazon? Cool! :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

I haven't seen Rambo myself so I have no idea how good it is but I have always had the idea that it's pretty popular movie, kinda like first two Terminators.

Well, "First Blood" aka Rambo is a pretty popular movie, but "John Rambo" is the 4th film in the series and its probably about as good a movie and as popular as Rocky 5 :hilarious:

Too many speculators in the game now. Many argue that prices will only go up. I do recall hearing this about housing in the US. Many argued that values would never decrease. Then 2008 - 09 came along and this was proven to be wrong. There are too many examples out there....Apple just to mention the most recent one.
There are very few real exclusives. That has been the main driver in grail prices. I do believe only a true exclusive will have a chance to become a grail.

I find that there might be as many people who speculate that a steel won't go up in value, as people who speculate that it will go up in value. Thats the problem with collecting grails in any form. You don't know which one it is, until it gets bidded up to crazy prices. Once it hits crazy prices, I find that people speculate that it will go down (not up) in prices. They keep on telling themselves theres no way I'm paying this or that, but the grail keeps going up and up, to a point where, only a very select few can ever afford it. Thats why its incredibly hard to collect grails. You won't know, until it hits ya, and when it hits you, it hits like Thor's hammer. Then you convince yourself that it cannot rise any further, but on the contrary, it goes up and up to a point where you can no longer afford it.

It happened to me. I also collect Magic the Gathering cards. back in the mid 90's, I saw the holy grail for $80 in a card shop. Didn't buy it, because I couldn't fathom anyone paying $80 for a playing card. Instead, I bought 6 packs of cards, which never amounted to anything. 5 years later, a buddy of mine had one, wanted $400 for it. I laughed in his face, told him to take a hike. 10 years later, saw that same card bidded up to $2000+. Flabergasted that anyone was stupid enough to pay $2000 for a playing card. 3 months ago, that card sold for $6500 on ebay. At this point, it really doesn't matter what I think anymore. It is far far beyond anything I can ever hope to get. Sure, I tell myself it has maxed out, but what I think is irrelevant. This lesson I learned, and it greatly influence how I collect steels. I learned that there is only a very small window for you to acquire grails (of any type of collectible). When this window shuts, it slams shut, and you will never get in again....ever.

I find that there might be as many people who speculate that a steel won't go up in value, as people who speculate that it will go up in value. Thats the problem with collecting grails in any form. You don't know which one it is, until it gets bidded up to crazy prices. Once it hits crazy prices, I find that people speculate that it will go down (not up) in prices. They keep on telling themselves theres no way I'm paying this or that, but the grail keeps going up and up, to a point where, only a very select few can ever afford it. Thats why its incredibly hard to collect grails. You won't know, until it hits ya, and when it hits you, it hits like Thor's hammer. Then you convince yourself that it cannot rise any further, but on the contrary, it goes up and up to a point where you can no longer afford it.

It happened to me. I also collect Magic the Gathering cards. back in the mid 90's, I saw the holy grail for $80 in a card shop. Didn't buy it, because I couldn't fathom anyone paying $80 for a playing card. Instead, I bought 6 packs of cards, which never amounted to anything. 5 years later, a buddy of mine had one, wanted $400 for it. I laughed in his face, told him to take a hike. 10 years later, saw that same card bidded up to $2000+. Flabergasted that anyone was stupid enough to pay $2000 for a playing card. 3 months ago, that card sold for $6500 on ebay. At this point, it really doesn't matter what I think anymore. It is far far beyond anything I can ever hope to get. Sure, I tell myself it has maxed out, but what I think is irrelevant. This lesson I learned, and it greatly influence how I collect steels. I learned that there is only a very small window for you to acquire grails (of any type of collectible). When this window shuts, it slams shut, and you will never get in again....ever.

Point taken about rising values. You dont find many here speculating prices will come down drastically. To the contrary many speculate that prices will keep increasing. My point was that with all items/ collectibles, prices go either way. Though many may disagree, IM play did affect value of IM FS as it took many off the IM market. Are there buyers willing to pay top price. YES. To many have sentimental value attached to the item. As has been suggested before, if one is so sure abouth their valuation, why not put it up for auction. Asian releases are coming down. I personally have no interest in them but is a general observation. Are there freak auctions. SURE. But not the norm which is what counts. It is safe to say that every item has a peak value at which only a couple of collectors can buy. For example Socrates paid $70 for the thing JP and asks $2500 for it. If and if it sells, is that the real value?