Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's opinion counts, and one of the most important aspects of a Steelbook thread is the Art, it's whats supposed to differentiate between the standard releases. It's not Zavvi's fault that the art is what it is, it's the studio/empires competition and its rules, judges and implementation that's at fault.

I've looked again at this release with even fresher eyes today, and it's slowly beginning to grow on me, I like the drumstick on the back, that's it so far....:dunno:

And also of note, the Artwork has yet to be updated on Zavvi website.

I haven't seen this flick yet, but I heard and read wonderful reviews about it. I was thinking of blind-buying it from Zavvi, but man there's something about the steelbook that really turns me off. Any chance there will be another retailer for this - with different design of course?

I haven't seen this flick yet, but I heard and read wonderful reviews about it. I was thinking of blind-buying it from Zavvi, but man there's something about the steelbook that really turns me off. Any chance there will be another retailer for this - with different design of course?

As it's listed a s a Zavvi Exclusive there won't be anyone else carrying another Whiplash steelbook in the UK until their exclusivity runs out. Best hope is that another another country does a release with better artwork

I'm wondering why zavvi haven't updated their artwork yet, maybe cos they know it's pretty unpopular here and that a lot of people have already cancelled their pre orders, so they're hoping to shift the rest of their stock with an unknown artwork for those customers that don't know the artwork has already been picked and is final.. Who knows with zavvi lol;)

Reactions: harry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: jailbird_joey
I already cancelled my 2 copies when I learned that our beloved choice was not chosen
001- whiplash.png
it is sad as it was such a Classy Design that would have made the release sold out for sure.
For those who haven't seen it, great movie top choice in January 2014 at Sundance Festival, so intense.

I have decided that if I can't find a steel that I like, I would rather own the Blu-ray with SlipCover.
Better than what was chosen as the winner artwork, I don't mean to be disrespectful as someone
did work on it, but I am sure I am not the only one who feels dat this is ugly :wacky:

Reactions: jailbird_joey
agree @Actarus ! that was also my vote..

these contest for steelbook designs doesn't produce great results. i can't name one that i like considering they were picked by people directly involved with the films (Whiplash, Machete Kills, Only God Forgives..)

Zavvi still haven't updated the artwork, probably because they're a bit embarrassed about it or they are finalising the design, ie, correcting the Title on the spine so its centralised, but they cannot release it without using the artwork as it was a design competition (unless they pull the copyright clause out of the bag)

If they did cancel the steelbook or use different artwork, then what is the future of such competitions ?, should Empire scrap the Predestination one for example...

Still have my pre-order. Will probably end up canceling it before it releases, reading through this thread helped me out. I was worried about it selling out and me being out of luck. But from what it seems, this will be around for a while, long enough for a price drop.

The cymbal design was one of the coolest SteelBooks I have ever seen. Since the U.S. slipcover is so rare, I'm considering making my own custom slipcover that uses this image. Were there real high-quality images of the back and front available?