Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America were re-released?

Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America etc. were re-released?

• Yes

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you quit collecting if Iron Man / Thor / Captain America were re-released?

The art of collecting has become a ticking timebomb. Every day we logon to the forum and find something or other being released which is good but re-releasing the same movie is becoming too boring. Of course no one is forced to buy but to some collectors it really dampens the spirit of collecting.

Last edited:
no-I own the 2 discs for Iron man 1&2 & sold the UK steels-(they were single discs & I have principles when collecting) Own Thor, Cap & Avengers in steels and sold on spares of all for a reasonable price-if they re-released, the artwork would have to be more impressive and the extras would need to be different but I can't see this happening-what I buy is for myself to watch & enjoy-I haven't pre booked the Will Smith steels on Zavvi as I don't want any of his films and never will-(pardon the pun!) sold my Inception box because the re-release steel from Warners is more practical to store but never ordered the Matrix or Seven as I have the us digibook-same with Blade Runner-I have rules that I stick to when buying-if a steel doesn't tick all the boxes-I don't buy

no that'd be silly, it'd be like quiting collecting comics because of 2nd
printings which is how re-releases should be structured with regards to Steelbooks.

They should release 2nd printings of Thor steelbook but with a variant cover so people
know it's a 2nd printing and the same rule for 3rd printings and like with comic books the
1st printing will always be the most sort after version, it will always be the one that rises
in value and maintains it's value

Personally like with my comic books I would only go after 1st printings as I am a collector
and I want the best for my collection but I have no objection to a 2nd printing coming
out for those who did miss out on the 1st as long as you could determine which is the 1
st, 2nd, 3rd printing etc...

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

They should also structure numbering better like:

1st print only 2000 copies
2nd print 5000 copies
3rd print who cares....

The ones I've collected so far (IM & IM2 Play.com & CA Polish 3D) I paid for by selling old crap and some DMR posters I had laying around not being displayed. It motivated me to tidy up around here. So I wouldn't be too upset...just kick myself a little, I guess.

No don't have a problem if there matt finish with no embossing/debossing same art
Then you could tell them apart and the first print would be the one for collectors

Well I for one would love it, as I dont have the money for the original ones. A re-release, if done with new artwork or something, wouldnt even affect the value of the original ones.

I have no problem with films being re-released again, provided the artwork is significantly different to those that came before it in order to prevent confusion for collectors. I was a little annoyed that Star Trek XI was re-released so soon after initial release, with the same artwork too, although at least they had the sense to only make it a 1-disc release. I don't see the point of there being a second variation either, and would have preferred if they had've just used the Kirk / Spock artwork for the 2013 release and be done with it

Likewise, it bothered me a little that Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and Kick-Ass were re-released as Blu-Ray SteelBooks so soon after they were originally released, but at least they were significantly different - And cheap too!

It's annoying when certain films keep getting re-released, yet others tend to be neglected - The Alien, Star Wars, and Back To The Future films, anyone? I know these movies are popular, but these studios have a huge back catalogue of films that hardly ever seem to get released, and when they do it's usually just the standard Amaray treatment.

I do think it's a little naughty of the studios to release a film in SteelBook form more than once though, but especially when the SteelBooks in question are sought after and fetch "collectible" prices via eBay. The likes of John Rambo, Captain America, Star Trek XI (the original PLAY.com release), and Jack Reacher are just a few examples.

However, just because an item gets re-released, it doesn't necessarily mean that the value of the original print will go down. To use Final Fantasy X for the PS2 as an example, a sealed PAL original print will fetch upwards of £120 on eBay, despite the fact that the game was re-issued (minus a bonus disc) back in 2009 and can be bought brand new for less than £15. The same can be said for many SteelBooks and video games alike

nope...except for captain america i don't have them in steelbook edition yet.
but re-releases will means that prices of the previous releases will drop.

Last edited:
:hilarious:

Let's see how many people were true to their word.

Thor and Iron Man haven't been released yet for someone to decide to quite over an upcoming CA release.

And besides, if it's a release that doesn't affect the original HMV's and inferior design, I don't think anyone will quit.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Just seen the Thor thread for Zavvi! Looks to be different artwork, we shall see if it makes an impact on the original...

With the Star Trek XI re-release, they at least decided to make it 1-disc. I'm not too keen on the fact that they used the same artwork, but at least the back cover is different, making the Zavvi one distinguishable from the original 3-disc PLAY.com release. However, I would've preferred if they had've only released the alternate artwork version

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and Kick-Ass both featured different artwork, but a lot of collectors feel that these films didn't really need to be re-released as SteelBooks, especially so soon after the originals. Likewise, Warner re-released 10,000 B.C. as part of their Premium Collection wave, which was not quite as striking as the original release

Thor and Captain America have both been recently leaked, but Wreck has announced that they will indeed feature different artwork. Regardless, I still think the original HMV exclusives will remain sought after and in demand, and no doubt many collectors will end up double-dipping anyway - Myself included!

What I am 100% against is re-releasing SteelBooks which are identical to the originals. I would have been very disappointed if it turned out that the recent flood of Avatar SteelBooks was indeed a re-print, and likewise for Oldboy

Status
Not open for further replies.