$50/month Theater-based "Pass" may be on the way

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Hacking Netflix:

"Wired reports that Moviepass is launching an theater-based movie subscription model:

MoviePass will launch with an “unlimited pass” service allowing subscribers to go to as many films as they can stand for $50 a month. If they want to see a 3-D or Imax film, they will pay a $3 surcharge. A “limited pass” offering four movies a month for $30 is in the works.

“MoviePass makes spur-of-the-moment movie-going as simple as choosing a film on the phone and checking in at the theater,” Spikes said in a press release. “No more waiting in line.”

Would you be interested in Moviepass?"

Totally not interested...Tickets at my theater are $5 or $7.50. And there aren't enough good movies to watch all the time at theater.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I am in if done correctly-this idea has been tinkered with for years by theaters and other organizations. Hopefully it comes to fruition this time-I'll stay tuned, and have signed up for more info, for now. Between Oscar, Summer seasons and other flicks, it's worth it for us. Tickets in the tri-state are $11+.

I think it's a good idea if you go to the movies often. Mexi you are at the theater every weekend! lol

Unfortunately this is not available in my area only in northern california (I wonder who had that bright idea). Tickets around here are around 13-15 (13 for non IMAX) which is another reason I don't go to the theaters more often. This could very well be worth it for me :D. I wish they extend the trial to So. Cal. I would definitely try it out.

4 movies for $30 is also good. As long as there is a per month and not a subscription. If you know there are a lot of good movies for a summer month it can be worth it. Like for a one shot deal (ie. one month)

Hey Horhay-I definitely hope the manage to get this off the ground to expand nationally!

I think it's a good idea if you go to the movies often. Mexi you are at the theater every weekend! lol

Unfortunately this is not available in my area only in northern california (I wonder who had that bright idea). Tickets around here are around 13-15 (13 for non IMAX) which is another reason I don't go to the theaters more often. This could very well be worth it for me :D. I wish they extend the trial to So. Cal. I would definitely try it out.

Hey Horhay-I definitely hope the manage to get this off the ground to expand nationally!

Yeah those damn theater prices around me are ridiculous. I went to the theaters and saw three movies 3 weeks ago alone it was 39 for me alone total was 80 between me and my girl. So yes this will definitely be worth it for me!

lol. I am almost every weekend, but like I said I live in a smaller town than LA/NY. So I only pay $5 :D Four movies later and that's only $20.

lol. I am almost every weekend, but like I said I live in a smaller town than LA/NY. So I only pay $5 :D Four movies later and that's only $20.

lol yeah that's the only downside of living in large metropolitan cities, you get shafted with high prices left and right. Fake IMAX is about 16 now.

If the idea behind MoviePass — essentially a Netflix-like all you can view subscription service for actual movie theaters — sounded too good to be true, you might have been right. We reported yesterday on the company’s plan to offer a $50 monthly subscription pass that, with some restrictions, would allow subscribers to watch as many theatrical releases as they want.

The plan rolls out this week in San Francisco theaters, but for the time being at least, it looks like we can’t expect it to be available in any AMC theater. AMC, one of the nation’s largest theater chains, has issued a press release saying that MoviePass was developed without consulting AMC, and that it consequently does not integrate into AMC’s own programs.

Read the press release from AMC after the break.

Here’s what AMC issued today, via Deadline:

Kansas City, Mo. (June 30, 2011) – AMC Theatres® (AMC), a leading theatrical exhibition and entertainment company, today announced it will not participate in the beta test of MoviePass, an initiative launching this weekend in the San Francisco area.

“Plans for this program were developed without AMC’s knowledge or input,” said Stephen Colanero, chief marketing officer at AMC Theatres. “As MoviePass is currently designed, it does not integrate well into our programs and could create significant guest experience issues.”

Some concerns with the program include AMC Stubs members’ ability to receive credit when purchasing a MoviePass. AMC Stubs, the company’s rewards program, was rolled out in April 2011 and rewards participants for ticket and concessions purchases.

“As MoviePass was created without AMC’s input and testing, we cannot confidently say the guest experience would be positive for our guests and specifically our AMC Stubs members,” said Colanero. “We were surprised to see the press release and subsequent press coverage of MoviePass earlier this week as it included several of our San Francisco locations. It was news to us to see that we were participants and we will be communicating to those theatres they are not to accept MoviePass.”

This is interesting, because as the release says, several AMC theaters were on the initial list of participating Bay Area theaters. Evidently the head office didn’t know about that, and so that release of the list yesterday seems to have prompted some action.

I’ve been hoping that MoviePass works, and this is definitely a blow to the company’s plan. But it doesn’t have to be the final word in negotiation between AMC and MoviePass; with some back and forth a deal may be able to be worked out. (Remember that movie studios weren’t all quick to jump on board with Netflix, either, and there continues to be negotiation on that front.) Do you think MoviePass has a chance without the day-one participation of the massive chain?

Per /film

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

This sort of gives me the impression that AMC doesn't want in because they will no longer have people paying their exorbitant ticket prices anymore. Let alone the Stubs program will just go down the drain.

Other major theater names have dropped from the program saying no one informed them either. Hmm seems like the folks from moviepass were trying to pull a fast one.

I read that, too-seems crazy that they would have gone it alone, especially since they obviously would have needed significant capital to launch, market and administer the program. Sounds also like one hand doesn't know what the other hand was doing (surprise!). I do hope someone else figures out how to do it after years of surveying people on whether they'd be interested in such a program. I even got a survey from AMC itself within the last 3 years or so....