Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: April 4, 2016
Purchase link: Adventureland (live)
Price: £15.99

11149769-1744372588604049.jpg

11149769-1174372588624047.JPG

Last edited:
Why is it that collectors often criticise UK releases for being overpriced yet will happily drop twice the money on an identical Steelbook with a nice slip and some fancy extras? :confused:

Zavvi had a little wave of decent priced steels recently and even hmv seem to be raising prices and on catalogue titles too but if the same steel is released by say FAC then that extra few quid is worth it for the extras (if you like the package that is) but £16.99 for a catalogue title that we have no idea what the finish will be is a little bit high and for that price even in the uk I would expect a slip or lenti but we don't get that here

Also and you should be very aware of this considering your length on here and in the steel game that zavvi love to drop prices and in some cases quite dramatically so can you blame us for now commenting on pre order prices when we know it will be cheaper in a few months if it don't sell out (which most don't nowadays Because of price drops and people waiting it out)

They have "the biggest sale ever" every few months and random prices drops every week anyway so they create these comments themselves in a way and especially when they have dropped the price a day after release which has happened more than once.

If zavvi didn't do that then it would be different and I see the same comments in USA and Canadians threads half the time because best buy etc all have price drops too and sales

Also im happy paying £30ish on FAC, kimchi and nova on titles I love and the package looks great because I know how much care goes into that release and thought for the extras not to mention decent priced shipping and great shipping packages. Whereas half the titles that zavvi releases for half the price haven't had much care in production, thought on design and mostly (for me anyway) riddled in the quality control issues.
So even if I like the film and steel art I know I can get it a lot cheaper if I wait with zavvi. I learned my lesson and so did many more.
I'm a bit happier with a scratch or dent on a sold out item from zavvi for £7.99 than paying £17.99 a few weeks before and then being annoyed it dropped by £10 and having trouble trying to sort out a return because of damage and it selling out

Last edited:
Why is it that collectors often criticise UK releases for being overpriced yet will happily drop twice the money on an identical Steelbook with a nice slip and some fancy extras? :confused:

Why does a collector pay $10,000 for a piece of paper with some art drawn on it? I know of many people who collect paintings and the materials themselves only cost about $50.

Most people dont trust zavvi print run numbers. If they were to put a full slip and individually number them they could fetch a bit more for their releases, but they decide not too.

Reactions: psychoscot
Personally have a lot to say in favour of Premium Editions but this is not the place to say it . . . so I won't.
I'll just trot out the old quote, "Variety's the very spice of life that gives it all its flavours" (William Cowper 1731-1800) and bid ye all g'night.

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
Didn't realise this identical Steelbook was available elsewhere for twice the price with a nice slip and a few extras. My bad.
I'll have to follow this forum 24/7 from now on ;)

Reactions: Flash
My only criticism of the price is based on the fact this will 3-5 different prices in the next few months, charge £9.99 for them, cut out constant price changes and they'll sell, as for spending more money on slips/extras etc, guilty as charged , the slip is just as important as the steelbook IMO...

Why does a collector pay $10,000 for a piece of paper with some art drawn on it? I know of many people who collect paintings and the materials themselves only cost about $50.

Most people dont trust zavvi print run numbers. If they were to put a full slip and individually number them they could fetch a bit more for their releases, but they decide not too.
9264894-dollars-background-Stock-Photo-money-background-pile.jpg

Love this film, but way too expensive. And no I wouldn't pay this price if it came with a slip! Will wait till it drops under a tenner

Mmm, if you really don't know the answer to the first, I'm not going to be the one to give you a lesson in art appreciation.

Second point. It has sod all to do with Zavvi's print numbers, and everything to do with them almost inevitably ending up at bargain basement prices!

Next! :)

Reactions: Flloydo
Come on, guys, this is all getting just a teeny bit silly with talk of comparing mass produced steelbooks to genuine hand-crafted artworks and I know that "Art (or beauty) is in the eye of the beholder" but, seriously ... Equally silly to compare basic U.K. steelbooks to premium editions specifically designed for the collector who is hunting for the best and most satisfying editions of particular films - these will be stuffed with interesting bits-and-bobs and have nice slipcases as well - the only U.K. packages with any similarity to these premium editions are the now long-discontinued Arrow slipcased Amarays with artcards, booklets and posters.
I think it's safe to assume that there will be no premium edition U.K. steelbooks from the usual suspects and there probably never will be, and as niche as steelbooks are I can't imagine how much more niche is the premium edition . . . !?
The simple addition of a badly designed lenti - as in several of Zavvi's Marvel collection from the tail-end of last year - magnetically affixed to a basic steelbook does not magically transform it into a premium edition and I'd say that the closest we've come to anything approaching a steelbook premium edition here in the U.K. is the recently boutique released artist designed slipcase edition of KILLER KLOWNS (limited to 300 with embossed slipcase, numbered card etc.) and that was approaching 30 quid, if I remember correctly, when the widely available steelbook by itself could be bought by itself for just over 11 quid.
I admit that these premium packages are not for me, though, as I'm first and foremost a film collector rather than a steelbook collector and despite owning over 800 steelbooks that is small potatoes when compared to my film collection.
In conclusion, my personal feeling is that the beauty of the U.K. steelbook is because it is basic, because it is within the reach of most pockets, because it can be picked up for about 10 quid or lower in many cases and because it looks the part on the shelves when compared to the ugly blue plastic cases.

Come on, guys, this is all getting just a teeny bit silly with talk of comparing mass produced steelbooks to genuine hand-crafted artworks and I know that "Art (or beauty) is in the eye of the beholder" but, seriously ... Equally silly to compare basic U.K. steelbooks to premium editions specifically designed for the collector who is hunting for the best and most satisfying editions of particular films - these will be stuffed with interesting bits-and-bobs and have nice slipcases as well - the only U.K. packages with any similarity to these premium editions are the now long-discontinued Arrow slipcased Amarays with artcards, booklets and posters.
I think it's safe to assume that there will be no premium edition U.K. steelbooks from the usual suspects and there probably never will be, and as niche as steelbooks are I can't imagine how much more niche is the premium edition . . . !?
The simple addition of a badly designed lenti - as in several of Zavvi's Marvel collection from the tail-end of last year - magnetically affixed to a basic steelbook does not magically transform it into a premium edition and I'd say that the closest we've come to anything approaching a steelbook premium edition here in the U.K. is the recently boutique released artist designed slipcase edition of KILLER KLOWNS (limited to 300 with embossed slipcase, numbered card etc.) and that was approaching 30 quid, if I remember correctly, when the widely available steelbook by itself could be bought by itself for just over 11 quid.
I admit that these premium packages are not for me, though, as I'm first and foremost a film collector rather than a steelbook collector and despite owning over 800 steelbooks that is small potatoes when compared to my film collection.
In conclusion, my personal feeling is that the beauty of the U.K. steelbook is because it is basic, because it is within the reach of most pockets, because it can be picked up for about 10 quid or lower in many cases and because it looks the part on the shelves when compared to the ugly blue plastic cases.

Steelbooks with just a lenti magnet are not premium editions! It's just a added bonus.

And if we want to talk about Uk steels getting or wanting to get premium editions then we can. It's a forum.

We know it will never happen but one day a retailer or independent company in the uk might start doing that. And as you mentioned one retailer has but I would be careful of mentioning that around here (not going into detail but just saying) plus they won't be taking over any day soon.

Last edited:
Steelbooks with just a lenti magnet are not premium editions! It's just a added bonus.

And if we want to talk about Uk steels getting it wanting to get premium editions then we can. It's a forum.

We know it will never happen but one day a retailer or independent company might start doing that. And as you mentioned one retailer has but I would be careful of mentioning that around here (not going into detail but just saying) plus they won't be taking over any day soon.
You must be like me mate....an INSOMNIAC:LOL:

What the hell happened there? How did they approve that?! I was going to wait for a price drop before picking this up, but I won't be getting it at all now... would honestly rather have the amaray over that.

aww no how did they approve that? there's plenty of space on the other side? Are they all like that?:(

Yikes. That's even worse than the poorly cropped edition of A History of Violence.

I'm guessing the mistake slipped through because they made a mad rush to get this out as soon as possible to capitalize on Jessie Eisenberg's involvement in Batman v Superman.